Time For Gase To Hand Over Keys To The Offense | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Time For Gase To Hand Over Keys To The Offense

pacresjt

Active Roster
Reaction score
Im not sure what I am watching. This supposed Offensive genius is a terrible play caller. I have never likes his play calls. He has good play designs but he doesnt know when to call them. He also doesnt know how to use his pieces.

Run calls, he cant seen to call them at the right time and he gets too cute. First off, Drake needs to line up in the backfield and get handoffs. Why our most dynamic player only got 3 handoffs is a joke. He needs to carry the ball 18-22 times a game and there should not be all this ball faking misdirection BS unless the standard line up and punch them in the mouth run game is working. Wilson should not be lining up in the backfield running between the tackles.

Deep balls, Kenny Stills and Devante Parker are the only two recievers RT should be theowing deep balls to. He has timing and good rapport with both. Every deep pass to Wilson is a wasted Play. Grant amd Wilson skills are getting short to intermediate passes and using their speed and craftiness to get extra yards.

Short Passes, this needs to be called only when we have an effective run game and or in down and distance situations. This should not be the bread and butter of our game. It is killing our down and distance game.

Intermediate passes, i have no comment on this as we dont call them. We need to see more slants, hooks, crossing and seem routes 5-12 yards. Throwing over and behind the LB and in front of the safeties when the D is stacking the box. We either throw a bubble screen or a deep shot and neither is a high percentage play when there are that many players close to the football or in the backfield rushing throws. This is where we are missing the boat.

Final thoughts, we need to establish a balanced standard designed run game, we need to use the intermeadiate pass game and the middle of the field to make the D back up and not blow up our plays. We need to use this stratigy to keep the D off balance so our run, short pass and play action passes are not expected and diagnosed before the snap. Gase wont stop, W’s have masked the bad play calling. Big plays have helped this team win a couple of games we got out played in. Its time for Gase to let Loggins and Christiansen call the plays and let them do what they are paid for. He should design the plays and help create the game plan but these other two coaches should call them. He does not have a feel for the game and calls the plays because he thinks all his designs are great, maybe they are but you need to have a feel for the game and know when to call them. Maybe just maybe if we can keep the other team off balance we can sustain drives, score points early and often, give the D some rest and keeps games with qualty teams competitive.

One of the big problems is our below-average offensive line. With the injury to Sitton, we really have no run blockers. Its a below average finesse pass-blocking line. We really cannot pound the ball, the line isn't good enough to do that. And after today's display, they can't really even pass block, Patriots weren't even blitzing. What an embarrassment.

Well I didnt really mean pound because we arent that kind if offense but rather just line up in normal run formations and either run inside or off tackle, get those 2 or 3 yards and maybe fall forward for 1 or two. All these cute formations and fakes take time to develop and we end up with no gain or negative yards. Just a simple run play with a zone blocking scheme. Every once in a while we get those 10-15 yard hits and once in a blue moon we get a big play. Drake has shown us if we just hand him the ball he can create yards. Giving it to him 3 and 5 times in sucessive games is not going to get it done.

Gore is a pro but he is a back up at this point in his carrer. Just give the damn ball to Drake, stay commited, run play action off of it and we see how the offense moves when we do that. Lining Wilson up in the backfield to run between the Tackles is just one example of this cute run game.

Go back and look at the games if you can, when its just a standard run play with standard formations and no hot potato with the football we gain yards, play action works and it holds the linebackers just enough for the intermidiate pass game to work plus it sets up play action for the deep balls. Everything gets all screwed up if we cant establish a decent run game and we abandon it way too early. With as much time that was left in the game we could have commited to the run dowm 17. And how about getting under center a few times a drive?

Damn, Gase play calling just stinks, he has no rythem and isnt a very good chess player. His designs are actually pretty good but there is a time and a place for each call and thats what he just doesnt seem to get in my opinion.

The PA attempt on the deep ball that got picked was a joke. Had no chance of fooling anyone.

One thing that bothers me is how other teams can lose one or two starters on the O-line but are still able to run the ball effectively. Especially against defenses that are playing a lot of base nickel and dime. There is no excuse for the Dolphins inability to run the ball with some effectiveness in those situations. Even with a couple of backup O-lineman playing. I understand that the team was behind for much of the game today but even early on they were unable to run the ball. If Ted Larsen is that bad then it is time to find someone to replace him. Hoping to get Jake Brendel back soon but who knows how effective he is going to be after such a long layoff. If teams like the Patriots are able to pull guys off the street and run effectively then maybe it is time to poach some scouts that are better able to identify offensive line talent. Also has the new offensive line coach really done enough teaching and preparing these younger guys? The last two games the running game has been ineffective against two below average defenses. While Larsen and Kilgore are not All Pros they have starting experience on teams that had effective running games. Larsen started half of last season with the Dolphins and they were more successful running the ball.

It doesn't help when you run on first down gain 1 yard then run again on 2nd down with little to no gain then you are in 3rd and long. Throw in a false start or holding call and this offense is in 2nd and 3rd and long more than most teams. Then you have Gase calling WR screens or 5 yard passes on 3rd and long. An offense just can not be consistently effective playing like that. Throw in some of those phantom holding calls or offensive pass inteference and you get the disaster we saw today.

Gase and Loggains need to figure out how to generate a consistent running game. Better get that worked out now because this offense won't be effective if defenses have no concern of any semblence of a running game.

One of the big problems is our below-average offensive line. With the injury to Sitton, we really have no run blockers. Its a below average finesse pass-blocking line. We really cannot pound the ball, the line isn't good enough to do that. And after today's display, they can't really even pass block, Patriots weren't even blitzing. What an embarrassment.

Well we had a productive running game near the end of last year with almost the same line (Pouncey was in instead of Kilgore and Young instead of james). We’re Pouncey and Young that much better?

But, the line is built just the way that Gase wants! He wants finesse pass-blockers, and has no use for old-school tough physical run-blockers. It's no wonder they can't pound the ball... and just another of the long list of reasons why I want Gase fired.

We have an effective running game and thats my point. We dont run. Up until that last drive Drake had 3 carries and gore had around 5? 2 or theee were at the end of the first half running out the clock. I mean how does your offense run like that? 1 run was with wislon in the back field and another was to a WR? They have to just line it up and run it right. All these odd formations and player and ball movement are just telegraphing the plays and allowing the defense time to get us at or behind the line.

Heres an idea. RT under center, Drake a few yards behind him, TE on the left side of the line, Davis pulls fills the gap between larsen and Tunsil, Drake hits the hole behind Davis gains 2 or 3 and falls forward 1 or 2. Second and 5, WR bubble screen for 3. 3rd and two, call one of those crafty Gase designed plays and have your RB slip out as a safety valve if the D has coverage or RPO. Do that on two consecutive set of downs and play action a deep ball in there somewhere or hit the TE in the seem as he slips off the block and all the defenders are commited. I dont know but anything is better than what Gase is calling now.

Consider that by time the game went to 17 and then 24 to zip the play calling got vanilla on purpose. We just weren't going to win all our games, no matter what. Today was a game we were always going to lose, and for these Dolphins, I think that's still okay. Let's try to realistically win 2 out of the next 3. We're ahead of schedule in season success by my expectations anyways.

Back
Top Bottom