Time to let the offense run this team... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Time to let the offense run this team...

NBP81

Its what you know for sure... that just aint so...
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
This was a great win... No other way around it but I think it shouldnt have been this close to begin with. I've read alot of comments in game and after the game about how the Fins D shouldnt have blitzed as much as they did and... I completely disagree. In Fact, they didnt blitz enough IMO.

The Fins offense right now after 3 games is pretty much top 5 everywhere it matters except for points scored.

• YPA: 2nd
  • TD%: 2nd
  • QB rating: 2nd
  • Passing TDs 4th
  • Rushing TDs: 14th
  • Overall point scoring: 6th
  • Number of offense plays: 26th

So the Fins offense is obviously rolling right now, but they're stuck, they aint on the field enough. Now as a Fins fan, we're used to 3 and outs being the problem here but it isnt this time around. The Fins are:

• #1 in average time per drive
  • #6 in average plays per drive
  • #1 in average points per drive

So what does the defense and their blitzing have to do with this? Well here's the defense per drive breakdown.

• 18th in average time per drive
  • 16th in average time per drive
  • 20th in average point per drive

Long story short... the Fins defense isnt all that good at preventing the other team from scoring on any given drive right now, they're just good at making them last a long time. Sure you're limiting the total number of points they can score in any given game, but you're also limiting the number of opportunities your own offense gets to score on their end. This just contracts the point differential and makes it more likely that you'll rely on a top 5 QB missing a gimme at the goal line for a win.

About the blitzing part.

Its easy to be results oriented after the fact. But blitzing worked, it got 2 sack fumbles(one recovered by the Fins) and multiple shots at Interceptions(that were missed). Im just going to pull a number out of my ass and say the Fins capitalized on 1 out of 5 opportunity for TOs. Blitzing more will accomplish 2 things, it'll lower the amount of time the defense is on the field and increase the TO opportunities. Sure this will also increase variance and will put more points on the board for the opponent as well. But it will also put your best unit on the field much more often.

In much simpler words... Its time for the D to **** or get off the pot.

I honestly don't understand what you're trying to say here.

Blitz alot more and what happens happens? As long as we get the offense back on the field?

It means the D may give up more points but more quickly so the O comes out done or the TO comes into play or the sacks push the D back

I honestly don't understand what you're trying to say here?

Blitz alot more and what happens happens? As long as we get the offense back on the field?
If your offense scores more points per drive than any other team in the NFL, and your D is 20th in the NFL at giving up points per drive while also being 18th in giving up time per drive... You need to get them off the field. You can easily achieve this by making them more aggressive.

Yeah, I think I’m ok with letting the defense not allow points. Just because our offense can score points, doesn’t mean that every game should be a shoot out

It seems like that's what the OP is proposing. If so, no thank you!

Yeah, I think I’m ok with letting the defense not allow points. Just because our offense can score points, doesn’t mean that every game should be a shoot out
It isnt about making it a shootout, its about putting your best unit on the field.

The blueprint to attack Miami has been capitalizing on the Phins second level and LB mismatches within 10-yards of LOS. Buffalo, Baltimore, and NE all found success in this space. Cincinnati will likely scheme Hayden Hurst, Tyler Boyd, and Joe Mixon to test for weak coverage. Agree we need to continue to bring pressure, especially against Burrow and this line, since he holds on to the ball a little too long and is vulnerable to pressure off the edges.

8589C3BA-E649-49FD-AEF0-C697A80AA59F.jpeg8059A5AB-C703-4968-8DFF-DEEED8666D1C.jpeg4403E20C-D6B6-48F0-9ABE-9CD6A332FC2F.jpeg

Last edited:
man i love the positivity about the offense. But I disagree with this. This defense is ready for a championship run. They bend, but they don’t break and they’re opportunistic. If it weren’t for that fumble recovery to give us a chance to score against the bills, who knows where that game woulda gone considering we got 39 plays on offense. The D held up all all game and made the key plays when it counted - no way we win that game on offense yesterday. This defense can slow down any team in the league

The blueprint to attack Miami has been capitalizing on the Phins second level and LB mismatches within 10-yards of LOS. Buffalo, Baltimore, and NE all found success in this space. Cincinnati will likely scheme Hunter Henry, Tyler Boyd, and Joe Mixon to test for weak coverage. Agree we need to continue to bring pressure, especially against Burrow and this line, since he holds on to the ball a little too long and is vulnerable to pressure off the edges.

View attachment 119335View attachment 119333View attachment 119334

Good luck to Bengals protecting that QB with that OL long enough to do as you suggest.

Also by how much did those teams win the game against us?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom