Time to let the offense run this team... | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Time to let the offense run this team...

I disagreed with the aggressive blitzing during the game, but can’t argue it got the job done in the end.

Though I do think we need to adjust the blueprint for each team, OP has a point in that blitzing forces the offense on the field more often.

Being that our offense is the most efficient in the league in points per drive, it makes sense that it should get more opportunities to score.

So, all in all, I agree with the OP, keep our defense as aggressive as possible.

Miami defense was super lucky Josh Allen missed on that 4th down pass. Normally he would complete that easily. Nick Needham was so far away it was atrocious. Yet he celebrated like he made an amazing play. Unbelievable.

1 This is the true J Allen tho he does this he also puts the ball on the turf a lot anyone noticed??

2 And our D has holes the OP is saying play balls to the walls give ‘Em heat possibly turn the ball over rather than conservative you give the ball back to our O which is the best side of our team

Possibly in the eyes @NBP81 it is very likely the team with the ball at the end will have a chance to win might as well get into this kind of play now rather than wait for the POs where competition stiffens and the team with the ball at the end wins a lot

Gone are the days of the Bill Parcells conservatism

Last edited:
My point is the Fins offense was better than the Bills in this game and if they'd have been in the game longer, it wouldnt have come down to a top 3 QB missing a wide open WR in the end zone for the game winner...
I agree with the mindset. I will add in defense of what has happened so far that when our D starts making plays our O will naturally be on the field more often.

The defense is playing well but they need turnovers and 3 & outs to be "successful". They left a few opportunities on the field.

I disagreed with the aggressive blitzing during the game, but can’t argue it got the job done in the end.

Though I do think we need to adjust the blueprint for each team, OP has a point in that blitzing forces the offense on the field more often.

Being that our offense is the most efficient in the league in points per drive, it makes sense that it should get more opportunities to score.

So, all in all, I agree with the OP, keep our defense as aggressive as possible.

If I can pick one nit, it appeared Boyer seldom surprised Allen with a blitz. It was, for example, Holland on the edge. I'd like to see more disguised blitzes.

Oh you bring me joy joy joy Ken Dorsey I do hope this tirade impacts your football career/decision making as long as you are in AFCE
I can't believe the amount of people who love this (mostly bills mafia). My five year old daughter used to have fits like this all the time. It's embarrassing seeing an adult do it.

It isnt about making it a shootout, its about putting your best unit on the field.
I once read that Mike Westhoff recommended a similar approach for our defense in the 80s - aggressive/ blitzing to maximize the possessions for Marino/Duper/Clayton.

Ill tell you what, its great to see aggressive playcalling on 4th downs and more importantly, 3rd and long, going deep for a first down. In the past its typical Dolphins to run a draw and punt. McD is making the calls and drawing up plays to make a big gain. Love this stuff.

I once read that Mike Westhoff recommended a similar approach for our defense in the 80s - aggressive/ blitzing to maximize the possessions for Marino/Duper/Clayton.
Remember when old fart was in camp this year and said our offense looked terrible?!?! LOLOLOL!

This was a great win... No other way around it but I think it shouldnt have been this close to begin with. I've read alot of comments in game and after the game about how the Fins D shouldnt have blitzed as much as they did and... I completely disagree. In Fact, they didnt blitz enough IMO.

The Fins offense right now after 3 games is pretty much top 5 everywhere it matters except for points scored.

• YPA: 2nd
  • TD%: 2nd
  • QB rating: 2nd
  • Passing TDs 4th
  • Rushing TDs: 14th
  • Overall point scoring: 6th
  • Number of offense plays: 26th

So the Fins offense is obviously rolling right now, but they're stuck, they aint on the field enough. Now as a Fins fan, we're used to 3 and outs being the problem here but it isnt this time around. The Fins are:

• #1 in average time per drive
  • #6 in average plays per drive
  • #1 in average points per drive

So what does the defense and their blitzing have to do with this? Well here's the defense per drive breakdown.

• 18th in average time per drive
  • 16th in average time per drive
  • 20th in average point per drive

Long story short... the Fins defense isnt all that good at preventing the other team from scoring on any given drive right now, they're just good at making them last a long time. Sure you're limiting the total number of points they can score in any given game, but you're also limiting the number of opportunities your own offense gets to score on their end. This just contracts the point differential and makes it more likely that you'll rely on a top 5 QB missing a gimme at the goal line for a win.

About the blitzing part.

Its easy to be results oriented after the fact. But blitzing worked, it got 2 sack fumbles(one recovered by the Fins) and multiple shots at Interceptions(that were missed). Im just going to pull a number out of my ass and say the Fins capitalized on 1 out of 5 opportunity for TOs. Blitzing more will accomplish 2 things, it'll lower the amount of time the defense is on the field and increase the TO opportunities. Sure this will also increase variance and will put more points on the board for the opponent as well. But it will also put your best unit on the field much more often.

In much simpler words... Its time for the D to **** or get off the pot.
Some great stats, but we have to take in to consideration we have a small sample size. Especially considering the defensive stats, as we played a couple teams with potent offenses and QB's that can move around a lot and beat any defense. I think the defensive stats will improve substantially over the next several games. I hope the offensive stats remain intact. If so, we have a playoff team that can play with the big boys!

Some great stats, but we have to take in to consideration we have a small sample size. Especially considering the defensive stats, as we played a couple teams with potent offenses and QB's that can move around a lot and beat any defense. I think the defensive stats will improve substantially over the next several games. I hope the offensive stats remain intact. If so, we have a playoff team that can play with the big boys!
well said. this is only the beginning /we are only 3 games into the season after all and came out on top each game (with the defense playing out of their minds during the 4th quarter)

Our Offense is only going to get better as well imo.

Back
Top Bottom