Time to speak fact on Wanny! Proof of incompetence! | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Time to speak fact on Wanny! Proof of incompetence!

saves said:
How bout the Bears had progressively worse records under him and so did we?

Once the Bears got rid of him they actually had a winning season.

i know what u mean by saying that he wasnt that bad or w/e ur saying but he really was. do u remember all of the games where we would just run and run and do the same thing over and over...play the same defense and play so conservative. Just imagine if we didnt have such a talented team. we would have gone 0-16. He was the most conservative and from my perspective "annoying" coach i have ever watched b/c i knew what play they were going to run. (exagerated) He wasnt meant to be head coach.

Proof of incompetence...

I'll just say a few things about the season that pisses me off the most and will ALWAYS piss me off the most...2002

In 2002 the Miami Dolphins were...

12th in points scored: Not great but above average.
4th in points allowed: When you give up the 4th fewest points in football you are a playoff team.
2nd in rushing yards: Ricky was sick in 2002
4th in Yards per carry: 4th...even though every team in the league knew Ricky was coming.
11th against the pass
5th against the run
5th in interceptions
3rd in total defense
Had 6 players named to the Pro Bowl
Had the NFL's rushing champion.

In 2002 we also:

Got our collective @sses kicked in Kansas city because of Wannstedt's inability to change the pace of the game and scheme at halftime. The whole damn world saw that Gonzo was toying on Arturo Freeman that day. Yet Wanny let Gonzo kill us. We were not getting pressure on Green...yet Wanny did not change the sceme and blitz, instead he let Green stand back and pick us to shreds.

Lost at home to the Bills. Even though we dominated the game, Ray Lucas continued to turn the ball over. Instead of changing the scheme he let Lucas CONTINUE to throw the ball.

Lost to the Bills in Buffalo...even though Ricky had 200 yards rushing. HOW THE HELL DO YOU HAVE A RUNNER GO FOR 200 ON THE ROAD AND LOSE? Oh yah...we had Wanny as our coach.

We are going to Minny, playing a horrible football team, with a chance to lock up the East and start thinking about home playoff games. What does the genius do? sets up lobster traps in the locker room reminding the players that it is a "trap" game. How about just letting them go out and kick the crap out of the Vikings like they should have? No...not the Wanny way...always remind the team about the things that could go wrong.

Then...with a chance to STILL win the East and get a home playoff game...the "Meltdown in Foxborough" happens.

We went 9-7 and missed the playoffs. Dave Wannstedt is the reason.

One of the things I remember was how clueless he was when Mcmike Went after O line for not blocking. that should have been Wanny's job to do. But like the clueless character he is he just sits by looking stupid. Just like he was on draft day every year.

phinian said:
dude,- if you dont know the problems with wannstedt, im not going to take the time to tell you.
Yeah, it's like what Louis Armstrong said when someone asked him to define what jazz is: "If you have to ask, you'll never know..."

Lee2000 said:
A lot of us run off at the mouth about Wanny and how bad a coach he was. Well, other than our own perception/opinion, it is time to anty up some proof. This thread is more about concrete examples of his incompetence and general chaos. Provide proof to me as though I know nothing about Dolphin football.

Lee2000

We sucked. Nuff said. :mad:

Nublar7 said:

Little League Dave:

20050320jbPittWannstedt_450-1.jpg

Big League Nick:

clear.gif

Lets move on.

Hey, Dave's looking good these days, teaching football to young men. Maybe he's just a better college coach.

20050320jbPittWannstedt_450-1.jpg

"So there we were 9 seconds left, when Jay dives in for the winning score to beat the Raiders."

:lol: I couldn't help it.That pic just looks like he's telling old stories.

Lee2000 said:
A lot of us run off at the mouth about Wanny and how bad a coach he was. Well, other than our own perception/opinion, it is time to anty up some proof. This thread is more about concrete examples of his incompetence and general chaos. Provide proof to me as though I know nothing about Dolphin football.

Lee2000

• No talent evaluation ability
  • Fired good assistants to give less qualified friends jobs
  • Stuck with a career backup QB as his starter until the bitter end
  • Based his entire offense on a single player.
  • Unwilling or unable to make halftime adjustments.
  • Unwilling or unable to game plan for an opponents specific weaknesses
  • Kept pumping money into the defense even though the offense was a joke
  • Did not hold players accountable for missed assignments/poor play
  • Let players decide whether or not they should practice for undesireable conditions
  • Chose to install unqualified OC's that he could control instead of using coaches with OC experience that were already on staff
  • preferred using cheap theatrics (lobster trap?) instead of motivating his players
  • General lack of understanding of the game (stated after the NE "snow bowl" loss..."these conditions were really not conducive to running the ball")
Do I need to continue?

Results are what matters in this league. His track record speaks for itself, dating back to his days in Chicago. No one knows what goes on behind the scenes, we can only assess the outcome.
When he takes over a team he has initial success (He is a players' coach), but then there is a gradual decline in team performance despite an improvement in talent. 2 seasons ago when the team acquired RW, he led the league in rushing. JT led the league in sacks and they were a top 5 defense. Yet, no playoffs and dismal performances against 2 teams with losing records to close out the season. I would argue the the team he coached his first year with the Dolphins was no where ne as good as the one 2 years ago, yet they advanced to the second rd of the playoffs.

Lee2000 said:

Lee2000

If you need to be told...AGAIN....how Wanny ruined this franchise then you don't know anything about Dolphins football.

Lee2000 said:

Lee2000

Wanny Who ??

Saban is our coach...

While he was a good D coach, he was very poor at the business side of being a HC and GM (look at the condition he left the cap, the inbalance in pay to the O and D and the fact that he traded away so many draft picks), he was a poor talent evaluator (look at his draft records), he played favorites with certain players and didn't give other players a chance (see Carey, see Ears, see AJ Feeley, see A. Freeman and these are just from last year), he was unable to keep the organization and coaches together and focused (look at the state of affairs with the coaching carosel last year, the choices he made for OC, the fact that the coaches didn't get along with each other, etc), and finally look at the what he did to ChiTown and the way he left us (there is a striking resemblance).

That is just a few things that I can think of off the top of my head that point to his poor head coaching in the NFL today.

Back
Top Bottom