To help out the uninformed who may be confused.. | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

To help out the uninformed who may be confused..

I'm not sure if Mr. Ed has a link, but how about proof by omission?

http://www.nfl.com/teams/transactions/MIA

We know we released James and Carter, but why don't they show up on the transaction list? Because technically, their release isn't official until June 2.

You are reading too much into an omission.

Carter had a $2.2M base salary and a $3M roster bonus due - with a prorated signing bonus allocation of $1.275M.

By cutting him before his roster bonus was due, we saved $5.2M in salary/bonus with $1.275 of dead money. By using the June 2 exemption we pushed the hit for the acceleration of $2.55M into the 2008 cap.

No that's not how it works. The rule states if a player is designated and the contract terminated under the new June 1st rule the cap charge would still be carried in Team Salary until 6/02. No savings until 6/02 when the player is deemed released.

No one has yet stated that the cap charge is reduced by the non payment of the $3 million roster bonus before 6/02.

Dead money is never saved when a player is released it is only the timing of when dead money is charged to Team Salary.

By cutting James we saved $3.25M in base salary with $708K of dead money.
By using the June 2 exemption we pushed the hit for the acceleration of $1.42M into the 2008 cap

As stated in my previous post pushing dead money into the next year should only be used as a last resort for a lack of cap room.

Without using the exemptions, we would have saved $4.48M on the 2007 cap. By using the exemptions, we saved $8.45M in 2007 and pushed $3.97M into the 2008 cap. Either way, the current year bonus prorations ($1.983M) are dead money you can't get back and can't count as savings.

Obviously, our caps guys thought we would be better served taking the additional $4M cap hit next year.

By using the new June 1st rule we do save $8.45 million on 6/02 and have pushed a cap charge of $3.97 million into the 2008 Salary Cap. This would be rather late to use any cap savings this year and a terrible idea to push cap charges into the next year if the problem can be charged off this year.

BTW were is the obvious part???

Thank you MR ED

very helpfull post I did not understand all that was in play. Can anyone tell me the details of DCs restructuring? That has been one of the issues that has really been eating at me. I think if he did restucture in a meaningfull way then ill have found a new respect for him.

MrED Great POST This why I come to this Site

something i dont understand

Miami is keeping Mare on the roster after signing Feeley because they want to trade him, right? First, it's very rare for a kicker to get traded. It's beyond rare for a kicker to get traded, or any other position for that matter, after the team that's trying to trade him has signed his replacement already. Why would anyone trade for him knowing he will eventually be released?...example David Carr. If Miami really wanted another draft choice, they should have hung on to McMichael and shopped him around a little more instead of releasing him. He has way more value than Mare. His nice contract with the Rams proves that.

Thank you MR ED

very helpfull post I did not understand all that was in play. Can anyone tell me the details of DCs restructuring? That has been one of the issues that has really been eating at me. I think if he did restucture in a meaningfull way then ill have found a new respect for him.

It happened last year. Culpepper restructured his contract to be traded to the Dolphins. A $6 million roster bonus and $1 million of base salary, totaling $7 million, was made a signing bonus and none of his future base salaries were reduced. It was a restructure for cap purposes and he lost no money due him.

no team would keep a 5.5 million dollar back up. and no team will give us anything for him if hes going to be cut.

and lets not forget if hes here this year then we release him next year it will give us a 4.5 million cap hit.

if DC is not the starter then he has to go.

Why are u worried about it. It has very little effect on the cap this year considering we are holding out on a player who can be dominant at the QB position. We may cut him . . . . but damn man camps haven't even started yet. Let them go thru the motions . . . for all u know, Green can't handle being behind a Line that isn't as good as the one he had in KC.

MIA paid Mare his $250,000 roster bonus lthough they signed Feely and told Mare to be patient, he's going to be released.

The reason he is still on the roster is because they have already designated Jeno James and Kevin Carter as the two vet players that can have their amoritized bonus money prorated for 2007 and the rest of it count on 2008 before June 1st.

So they are waiting for June 1st in order to have Mare's amoritized bonus money only count the prorated portion in 2007. Then the rest of it will count in 2008.

So Mare "is" on the outs. But they will wait until June 1st to cut him. This also will buy them an opportunity to trade him should a trade partner materialize before then. In that case, they would go ahead and trade him and take the bigger cap hit but get a draft pick out of it. The difference in savings is $0.8mil before June 1st or $1.75mil after June 1st.

As far as Culpepper/Green's situation? Trent Green is being brought in for insurance purposes. He is a quality starter should Culpepper not meet expectations.

Culpepper will be given his shot to be the #1 QB. And should he win the job, Green (who has agreed to restructure his contract to a performance/playing time contract) would remain the #2 QB and not cost so much against the cap. But should Culpepper not meet expectations, then Green would become the starter and Culpepper would be released.

The Shefter comments was a little haste and misleading. Which is why NFL Network came back and affirmed that Culpepper "will" be at QB camp and "will" be given the shot at the #1 QB.

Also, Culpepper already restructured his contract last season for those who have been crying about him restructuring his contract.

Hope that helps some out. :wink:

see nfl.com and miamidolphins.com for the Cameron PC and NFL Network reports affirming my statements.
thanks for the information very good post, insightfull

You are reading too much into an omission.

I seem to recall reading the same thing as Mr. Ed in an article. The omission supports that position.

[EDIT: Perhaps I read too much into the omissions. Corey Dillion doesn't up as a Post June 1 cut on the nfl.com pages, but other players like Grant Winstrom, Edwin Mulitalo, and David Patten do. I do recall reading that they were designated though.]

No that's not how it works. The rule states if a player is designated and the contract terminated under the new June 1st rule the cap charge would still be carried in Team Salary until 6/02. No savings until 6/02 when the player is deemed released.

No one has yet stated that the cap charge is reduced by the non payment of the $3 million roster bonus before 6/02.

I didn't say that we received instant relief in the 2007 cap. Money saved after 6/2 for the 2007 cap is still money saved in the 2007 cap. You do realize that I stated that the reason why the players aren't showing up as transactions is because they're not technically released until 6/2. I'm aware of the rules.

Dead money is never saved when a player is released it is only the timing of when dead money is charged to Team Salary.

I assumed you weren't aware of that since you seem to have counted some combination of Carter's and James' 2007 dead money into your numbers to get to a $3.22M savings from pre-June 2 releases.

As stated in my previous post pushing dead money into the next year should only be used as a last resort for a lack of cap room.

That's your opinion. In my opinion, that's more preferable than restructuring an active player's contract to get cap relief this year. If there’s generally no need for pushing dead money into the next year then why did they add the two exemption rule into the new CBA?

By using the new June 1st rule we do save $8.45 million on 6/02 and have pushed a cap charge of $3.97 million into the 2008 Salary Cap. This would be rather late to use any cap savings this year and a terrible idea to push cap charges into the next year if the problem can be charged off this year.

Rather late to use the money after 6/2?
I guess this last season we didn't really need the cap room for contract extensions after 6/1?
I guess no guys get released from other teams after 6/1 that we might want to sign?
I guess all our rookies will be signed by 6/1?

BTW were is the obvious part???

It's obvious that you apparently think you have more insight into possible extensions, post June 1 signings, and other cap impacts than our front office does.

my problem with this is you keep saying that green will be insurance, i think thats wrong green will be brought here to start if he doesnt start he will not be here as a backup.

and who said green was taking a playing time contract?

and if green just beats out DC then what? do you want to keep him and his 5.5 mil salary as a backup?

didnt you here the jab that cam took at DC, saying that the job will not be given that it will have to be earned. that sounds like a shot at how DC became the starter last year, and you want him for the same reason, his name

:clap: :clap: :clap: :yeah that: :drinkers:

If we are building to the future and holding onto draft picks why are we not taking all our cap hits in 07 so in 08 we have no dead money??

I seem to recall reading the same thing as Mr. Ed in an article. The omission supports that position. I am overwhelmed by your evidence to the contrary, which seems to consist of your opinion that our management can't be that stupid.

I didn't say that we received instant relief in the 2007 cap. Money saved after 6/2 for the 2007 cap is still money saved in the 2007 cap. You do realize that I stated that the reason why the players aren't showing up as transactions is because they're not technically released until 6/2. I'm aware of the rules.

I assumed you weren't aware of that since you seem to have counted some combination of Carter's and James' 2007 dead money into your numbers to get to a $3.22M savings from pre-June 2 releases.

Guessing by omission isn't very reliable. You can go to the NFL Draft Tracking and notice the picks for Welker aren't there. Should we assume the Welker trade is void???
http://www.nfl.com/draft/drafttracker/team/MIA

If you have read that the Dolphins have designated two players to the new June 1st rule please provide the link.

You should not assume anything about me. I keep a Dolphins Salary Cap chart so I read every report I can find and document it. If you read my first post in this thread you would have seen a link where I document the new rule with the actual CBA language, which kills your assumption that I am not aware of the rule.

If you keep a salary cap chart you would have realized the Dolphins could not have waited for June 2nd for the cap savings for Carter and James.

What $3.22 million are you talking about???

The Cap Savings for terminating Carter on or before 6/01 was $2.650 million and James was $1.833 million, which totals $4.483 million. Even the Net Cap Savings is $3.913 million because the 51st highest salary at the time was $285k.

That's your opinion. In my opinion, that's more preferable than restructuring an active player's contract to get cap relief this year. If there’s generally no need for pushing dead money into the next year then why did they add the two exemption rule into the new CBA?

Yes it is my opinion that you don't push Dead Money into the future if it can be avoided. As a matter of fact teams with plenty of cap room even try to charge off as much bonus as they can in the current year of signing.

Rather late to use the money after 6/2?
I guess this last season we didn't really need the cap room for contract extensions after 6/1?
I guess no guys get released from other teams after 6/1 that we might want to sign?
I guess all our rookies will be signed by 6/1?

Good cap management takes this into account and if you don't have enough cap room contracts have to be restructured. Most simple restructures just add a small amount to a player's bonus proration. It is not until the contract is reworked a few time until it becomes a problem.

But the point of releasing players early in Free Agency is to save or make cap room.

It's obvious that you apparently think you have more insight into possible extensions, post June 1 signings, and other cap impacts than our front office does.

I don't know where or how you come up with this idea. You are the one claiming you know what the Dolphins are doing and claiming an omission as proof of your point. Or has the font office told you what they have done???

I went back and saw the $3.22 million in my previous post number 9 in this thread. Definitely a slip.

I went back and saw the $3.22 million in my previous post number 9 in this thread. Definitely a slip.

It happens - after thinking about it I wondered if maybe you were just factoring in the next highest salaries to get the real cap relief.

My apologies. I edited the original post a while back to show that while Corey Dillion (post June 1 designation) doesn't show up on the nfl.com transactions, other post June 1 designations do.

Sorry I can't provide a link on the designations for James and Carter. I've searched all afternoon and couldn't find one. The lack of confirming evidence is pretty damning - although I do recall being suprised at reading a blurb somewhere saying that we had used our exemptions. Maybe I imagined it.

Back
Top Bottom