To help out the uninformed who may be confused.. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

To help out the uninformed who may be confused..

MrEd

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
MIA paid Mare his $250,000 roster bonus lthough they signed Feely and told Mare to be patient, he's going to be released.

The reason he is still on the roster is because they have already designated Jeno James and Kevin Carter as the two vet players that can have their amoritized bonus money prorated for 2007 and the rest of it count on 2008 before June 1st.

So they are waiting for June 1st in order to have Mare's amoritized bonus money only count the prorated portion in 2007. Then the rest of it will count in 2008.

So Mare "is" on the outs. But they will wait until June 1st to cut him. This also will buy them an opportunity to trade him should a trade partner materialize before then. In that case, they would go ahead and trade him and take the bigger cap hit but get a draft pick out of it. The difference in savings is $0.8mil before June 1st or $1.75mil after June 1st.

As far as Culpepper/Green's situation? Trent Green is being brought in for insurance purposes. He is a quality starter should Culpepper not meet expectations.

Culpepper will be given his shot to be the #1 QB. And should he win the job, Green (who has agreed to restructure his contract to a performance/playing time contract) would remain the #2 QB and not cost so much against the cap. But should Culpepper not meet expectations, then Green would become the starter and Culpepper would be released.

The Shefter comments was a little haste and misleading. Which is why NFL Network came back and affirmed that Culpepper "will" be at QB camp and "will" be given the shot at the #1 QB.

Also, Culpepper already restructured his contract last season for those who have been crying about him restructuring his contract.

Hope that helps some out. :wink:

see nfl.com and miamidolphins.com for the Cameron PC and NFL Network reports affirming my statements.

This is terrific news man. Look I understand that CPep may never be right again, but I find it STUPID to why people are sitting here wanting this man to fail. Green is a solid backup to have and I will definitely feel a bit more comfortable if Pep isn't ready that we have Green to go along w/ Lemon instead of just Lemon and a rookie. I just don't understand why they would bring in Green and dump Pep . . . they may still eventually cut him if things don't go as planned, but I would still believe he is the best QB on this team whether Green comes or not

great post. I have no idea wh yeveryone is bashin c-pep. the guy was hurt. do not be stupid and release him over that. if he is healthy he could be good. Green is good insurance. I hope it works out this way.

My question is what happens to Lemon and/or Hamdan as both are familar w/ Cam's scheme?

Taking an educated guess, Hamdan is SOL should Daunte make the grade.

Mueller, I believe, drafts a QB every year So, it looks more and more like a 2nd day pick... Rowe (NV-Reno), Taylor (Nebraska), or Swogger (Montana) & put him on the practice squad.

I like what Cam is doing. I hope Culpepper sticks around just so I can witness all those who have hated on him try to validate their rush to judgement. :evil:

MIA paid Mare his $250,000 roster bonus lthough they signed Feely and told Mare to be patient, he's going to be released.

The reason he is still on the roster is because they have already designated Jeno James and Kevin Carter as the two vet players that can have their amoritized bonus money prorated for 2007 and the rest of it count on 2008 before June 1st.

So they are waiting for June 1st in order to have Mare's amoritized bonus money only count the prorated portion in 2007. Then the rest of it will count in 2008.

So Mare "is" on the outs. But they will wait until June 1st to cut him. This also will buy them an opportunity to trade him should a trade partner materialize before then. In that case, they would go ahead and trade him and take the bigger cap hit but get a draft pick out of it. The difference in savings is $0.8mil before June 1st or $1.75mil after June 1st.

As far as Culpepper/Green's situation? Trent Green is being brought in for insurance purposes. He is a quality starter should Culpepper not meet expectations.

Culpepper will be given his shot to be the #1 QB. And should he win the job, Green (who has agreed to restructure his contract to a performance/playing time contract) would remain the #2 QB and not cost so much against the cap. But should Culpepper not meet expectations, then Green would become the starter and Culpepper would be released.

The Shefter comments was a little haste and misleading. Which is why NFL Network came back and affirmed that Culpepper "will" be at QB camp and "will" be given the shot at the #1 QB.

Also, Culpepper already restructured his contract last season for those who have been crying about him restructuring his contract.

Hope that helps some out. :wink:

see nfl.com and miamidolphins.com for the Cameron PC and NFL Network reports affirming my statements.

my problem with this is you keep saying that green will be insurance, i think thats wrong green will be brought here to start if he doesnt start he will not be here as a backup.

and who said green was taking a playing time contract?

and if green just beats out DC then what? do you want to keep him and his 5.5 mil salary as a backup?

didnt you here the jab that cam took at DC, saying that the job will not be given that it will have to be earned. that sounds like a shot at how DC became the starter last year, and you want him for the same reason, his name

great post. I have no idea wh yeveryone is bashin c-pep. the guy was hurt. do not be stupid and release him over that. if he is healthy he could be good. Green is good insurance. I hope it works out this way.
i think everyone is bashing him because everyone, including me, wants miami to draft a franchise QB. And the best way to show to the fans that they will draft a QB is to release culpepper and pick up green. i wouldnt mind picking up carr instead of a first round QB and trade up for calvin johnson with oak. we wouldnt necessarily have to give up that much picks. we could give them...
Booker
Culpepper
and a third or second next year.

I think the raiders might like this cuz it pretty much will equal or be more than the "draft points" the nfl created, depending how much they like the two players and they will get extra draft picks to help there MANY needs. they also will pick number 9 so they still will have a good chance getting a franchise QB in the first with quinn or russell, depending on who or if DET take a QB.
then with us giving up a pick next year, it will leave us with enough picks this year to work on our line and CB. we could even get a young QB in the later rounds and he could sit for so yearSSS and be good when he is ready.

my problem with this is you keep saying that green will be insurance, i think thats wrong green will be brought here to start if he doesnt start he will not be here as a backup.

and if green just beats out DC then what? do you want to keep him and his 5.5 mil salary as a backup?

didnt you here the jab that cam took at DC, saying that the job will not be given that it will have to be earned. that sounds like a shot at how DC became the starter last year, and you want him for the same reason, his name

Green will be brought in to compete for the starting job. If he doesn't win the starting job that means that Daunte Culpepper is healthy and ready to go and we should be happy. If Trent Green wins the starting job that means that Daunte Culpepper was not health and not ready to go. If that is the case there is still no reason to outright dump Culpepper. We don't owe any money to Culpepper right now. You can talk about a 5.5 million salary, but what is the point in dropping someone before you even have to pay him? There is no logic behind dropping Culpepper, just blind ignorance of impatient Dolphins fans.

Have you a link reporting James and Carter were designated cut under the new June 1st rule???

If not I remind you of the exact rule as I posted before here:
http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/showthread.php?t=185148&page=2
its post #20.

Without proof that these players were designated cut under the new rule it is hard to believe because it just doesn't make sense. There cap value would be kept in Team Salary and there would be no cap savings until 6/02. That is absolutely no help when cap room is usually needed before 6/01.

Good Salary Cap management also attempts to get rid of problems, Dead Money, in the same year unless there is not enough cap room to absorb the Dead Money cap charge. Pushing cap charges to the next year is poor practice and should be used as a last resort.

Kevin Carter had a cap charge of $6.475 million.
Jeno James had a cap charge of $3.958 million.
Cutting both before 6/01 saved $3.22 million.

Profootball talk did come up with two reasons the new rule would make sense. The first I already stated. The second one is valid but still seems weak.

POSTED 8:15 a.m. EST, February 16, 2007
MORE ON THE NEW JUNE 1 RULE

We've now come up with two reasons, one on our own and one with the help of a league insider.

First, per a league insider, the tactic is useful if the player is owed a significant roster bonus at any point from March 1 and June 1, and if a pre-June release would result in a big cap hit due to unallocated bonus payments.

Second, per our otherwise feeble cognitive skills, if the player has a big base salary and there is concern that he might hurt himself while working out at the team facility (e.g., the Steve McNair situation), the team could cut him early and postpone the processing of the transaction in order to keep him out of harm's way.

http://profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

What do you expect Miami to say; Ya we can hardly wait to land another QB so we can dump that bum Culpepper.

They will say something positive and nice and try to sound fair and everything, but if and when the situation changes, DC is gone.

why don't you worry about that when it actually happens... I mean, Green is not on the roster and you already have him beating out someone who is... quite hating so much finburg, just let them compete.

Green will be brought in to compete for the starting job. If he doesn't win the starting job that means that Daunte Culpepper is healthy and ready to go and we should be happy. If Trent Green wins the starting job that means that Daunte Culpepper was not health and not ready to go. If that is the case there is still no reason to outright dump Culpepper. We don't owe any money to Culpepper right now. You can talk about a 5.5 million salary, but what is the point in dropping someone before you even have to pay him? There is no logic behind dropping Culpepper, just blind ignorance of impatient Dolphins fans.

no team would keep a 5.5 million dollar back up. and no team will give us anything for him if hes going to be cut.

and lets not forget if hes here this year then we release him next year it will give us a 4.5 million cap hit.

if DC is not the starter then he has to go.

Have you a link reporting James and Carter were designated cut under the new June 1st rule???

If not I remind you of the exact rule as I posted before here:
http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/showthread.php?t=185148&page=2
its post #20.

Without proof that these players were designated cut under the new rule it is hard to believe because it just doesn't make sense. There cap value would be kept in Team Salary and there would be no cap savings until 6/02. That is absolutely no help when cap room is usually needed before 6/01.

Good Salary Cap management also attempts to get rid of problems, Dead Money, in the same year unless there is not enough cap room to absorb the Dead Money cap charge. Pushing cap charges to the next year is poor practice and should be used as a last resort.

Kevin Carter had a cap charge of $6.475 million.
Jeno James had a cap charge of $3.958 million.
Cutting both before 6/01 saved $3.22 million.

Profootball talk did come up with two reasons the new rule would make sense. The first I already stated. The second one is valid but still seems weak.

I'm not sure if Mr. Ed has a link, but how about proof by omission?

http://www.nfl.com/teams/transactions/MIA

We know we released James and Carter, but why don't they show up on the transaction list? Because technically, their release isn't official until June 2.

Carter had a $2.2M base salary and a $3M roster bonus due - with a prorated signing bonus allocation of $1.275M.

By cutting him before his roster bonus was due, we saved $5.2M in salary/bonus with $1.275 of dead money. By using the June 2 exemption we pushed the hit for the acceleration of $2.55M into the 2008 cap.

By cutting James we saved $3.25M in base salary with $708K of dead money.
By using the June 2 exemption we pushed the hit for the acceleration of $1.42M into the 2008 cap

Without using the exemptions, we would have saved $4.48M on the 2007 cap. By using the exemptions, we saved $8.45M in 2007 and pushed $3.97M into the 2008 cap. Either way, the current year bonus prorations ($1.983M) are dead money you can't get back and can't count as savings.

Obviously, our caps guys thought we would be better served taking the additional $4M cap hit next year. As far as needing the cap relief prior to June 2, I'm pretty sure we won't needing the money for the rookie pool until after then - so we can use the space targeted for the rookies and then it'll clear out before we actually sign any of them.

Back
Top Bottom