To Respect Or Not To Respect...that Is The Question. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

To Respect Or Not To Respect...that Is The Question.

tay0365

Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
I have been for many years watching how some teams can look bad, or have been bad for many years, yet you see them get more coverage, and respect then the Dolphins. Maybe it's just me, but Miami seems to be treated like a franchise in the same level or just behind teams like the Browns, Jets, Bengals...

Though yes, Miami has been pretty much at best mediocre for a long while now, this team has done thing few teams have accomplished, with one or two no team has accomplished....

SUPERBOWL APPEARANCES:

Yes, now a days being a fan of a team that won at least 2 SBs is no big deal, as most teams have done that, but appearing in at least 5 SB puts Miami ahead of most teams.

WINNING PERCENTAGE
:

Miami in the last Quarter century has been at best Mediocre, yet are still one of the top 5 teams, winning percentage wise.

GOAT STATUS
:

Many teams would wish to have one player or Coach in their history, to be called Best Of All Time at their position, but Miami arguably has, not one, not two, or three, but 4...HC, QB, FB, CENTER are positions, Miami has had best of the best Superstars. With some spectacular players at DE, DT, CORNER, WR, LB, RB that could also be brought into a top 5 or 10 of all time discussion.

STILL ALONE
:

You knew it would eventually be said, but it is the truth, only unbeaten, untied team in a season, as well as the only team to ever

JUST TIED:

Just this year with the Patriots winning the SB, The Dolphin and Patriots are the only two franchises to reach reach three straight SBs, while at least winning two of them.

CBS ALL TIME
:

CBS did a power ranking on all NFL teams, the history of all Franchise, and their accomplishments. Miami was number 8, and though yes, power rankings are more opinions then facts, CBS tried their beast to have little opinion, and instead, mostly put a high toll on SBs, appearances, winning %, and so on...

Normally I don't put to much attention to what ESPN, and NFL network and many publications say, but the way they seem to treat Miami as if they have no history, it seems to be getting under my skin a bit. Lol

The NFL is now, and has always been a "what have you done lately" league.

I'm a pretty hardcore fan of the Phins and football in general. Aside from the undefeated season, there really isn't a lot that's unique.

I think putting the Dolphins as high as #8 in all time power rankings is a big stretch. I know, obviously, it was a different era, but that 72' team is probably a two win team today, and Griese wouldn't last 2 yrs in the league. I know that's blasphemous to some, but the early 70s Phins teams couldn't play with the late 80s Niners, the early 90s boys, the greatest show on turf, etc, IMO.

That ****'s all ancient history. "What have you done for me lately." Sad, but true. The Dolphins haven't been in the Super Bowl since I was in High School...and I've retired twice since then!

I have been for many years watching how some teams can look bad, or have been bad for many years, yet you see them get more coverage, and respect then the Dolphins. Maybe it's just me, but Miami seems to be treated like a franchise in the same level or just behind teams like the Browns, Jets, Bengals...

Though yes, Miami has been pretty much at best mediocre for a long while now, this team has done thing few teams have accomplished, with one or two no team has accomplished....

SUPERBOWL APPEARANCES:

Yes, now a days being a fan of a team that won at least 2 SBs is no big deal, as most teams have done that, but appearing in at least 5 SB puts Miami ahead of most teams.

WINNING PERCENTAGE
:

Miami in the last Quarter century has been at best Mediocre, yet are still one of the top 5 teams, winning percentage wise.

GOAT STATUS
:

Many teams would wish to have one player or Coach in their history, to be called Best Of All Time at their position, but Miami arguably has, not one, not two, or three, but 4...HC, QB, FB, CENTER are positions, Miami has had best of the best Superstars. With some spectacular players at DE, DT, CORNER, WR, LB, RB that could also be brought into a top 5 or 10 of all time discussion.

STILL ALONE
:

You knew it would eventually be said, but it is the truth, only unbeaten, untied team in a season, as well as the only team to ever

JUST TIED:

Just this year with the Patriots winning the SB, The Dolphin and Patriots are the only two franchises to reach reach three straight SBs, while at least winning two of them.

CBS ALL TIME
:

CBS did a power ranking on all NFL teams, the history of all Franchise, and their accomplishments. Miami was number 8, and though yes, power rankings are more opinions then facts, CBS tried their beast to have little opinion, and instead, mostly put a high toll on SBs, appearances, winning %, and so on...

Normally I don't put to much attention to what ESPN, and NFL network and many publications say, but the way they seem to treat Miami as if they have no history, it seems to be getting under my skin a bit. Lol

I know a lot of people will disagree with me, but I have three main complaints . . .
1) How can a team with FistPump, Philbin and Gase rise to 'mediocre' with those guys as HC? There is clearly more talent there than people like to admit. It's misused, underused, and/or ignored.
2) inconsistency - they can look like a playoff team against GB, or NE, or other good teams, but look sandlot against bottom feeders.
3) cap management (which includes FAs like Wallace and Suh)

Respect doesn't last forever, . . . certainly not since '72. A lot of NFL fans and many writers weren't alive in '72. No one cares. Miami, sadly, is getting the respect it deserves. I think everyone here would like to see Miami gain respect. Yes, by winning a SB, but, at a minimum, getting to the playoffs and getting past round one.

This is so pathetic, as pathetic as the Dolphins have been since at least 2004.

Who cares if the Dolphins have a glorious history? So do a lot of teams. The Dolphins get as much respect as they’ve earned, and lately it’s not much. They haven’t won a Super Bowl in 45 years, haven’t won an AFC championship in 34 years, and haven’t even gotten past the divisional round of the playoffs in 26 years. And don’t forget they haven’t even won a wildcard game in almost 20 years.

This post reads like a middle-aged Al Bundy arguing that he should be shown more respect because because he scored 4 touchdowns in one game at Polk High.

The NFL is now, and has always been a "what have you done lately" league.

I'm a pretty hardcore fan of the Phins and football in general. Aside from the undefeated season, there really isn't a lot that's unique.

I think putting the Dolphins as high as #8 in all time power rankings is a big stretch. I know, obviously, it was a different era, but that 72' team is probably a two win team today, and Griese wouldn't last 2 yrs in the league. I know that's blasphemous to some, but the early 70s Phins teams couldn't play with the late 80s Niners, the early 90s boys, the greatest show on turf, etc, IMO.
Yeah but i dont think comparing decades is good either. Could the late 80s or 90s teams hang with the best of this era?

We won't get respect to we're consistently a playoff-caliber team. I long for the days where we compete each year for the division title. We were soft, inept for too long and let New England rule the roost.

Now let's see what we can do once again with a new coaching staff and Grier's position. It's time for New England to be dethroned and they certainly won't be handing the division over to Us store Jets or bills without a huge fight. Respect will come but it has to be earned and we have not earned it

Give Marino today's rules and he'll put up 8,000 yards.

I have a Pats fanatic friend that admits to the same and that's very hard for him to do.

As for the thread: Wata yah gonna do, yah know? We're in a division with what might be the greatest franchise of all time. That helps make us look worse.

It's a new dawn. It's a new day. It's a new life.

We're gonna get it right this time. I gots me a goooood feelin'.

I remember reading posts like these closer to the turn of the millennium. They made a little more sense then. This franchise deserves every bit the lack of respect they get these days. It's been a joke for almost 20 years now. We haven't sniffed a playoff win since Lamar Smith (half the fanbase won't even remember him) scored in OT against the Colts.

The 72 team was cute to gloat about when I was in high school, but even back then in the early to mid 90s I'd usually get the "that was over 20 years ago you weren't even alive" response. I don't even talk about it now because it's become a lame running joke. If a fan of another franchise was still on about a miracle season almost 50 years ago, I'd shake my head too.

The Dolphins were widely respected for good reason and are also widely disregarded for good reason.

This is so pathetic, as pathetic as the Dolphins have been since at least 2004.

Who cares if the Dolphins have a glorious history? So do a lot of teams. The Dolphins get as much respect as they’ve earned, and lately it’s not much. They haven’t won a Super Bowl in 45 years, haven’t won an AFC championship in 34 years, and haven’t even gotten past the divisional round of the playoffs in 26 years. And don’t forget they haven’t even won a wildcard game in almost 20 years.

This post reads like a middle-aged Al Bundy arguing that he should be shown more respect because because he scored 4 touchdowns in one game at Polk High.

OK, so you find it pathetic, yet you took time to reply anyway? OK, I guess.

I did this just to bring up something I agree is no big deal, but bothered me a bit, and considering it's the off-season, i thought it would be OK to talk about.

Normally if there Is a subject i am not interested in, I either don't read, or respond to it, but I guess you need to let your angry old man juices out to complain or attack, without really adding anything worthy...Good Job.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom