To Respect Or Not To Respect...that Is The Question. | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

To Respect Or Not To Respect...that Is The Question.

That ****'s all ancient history. "What have you done for me lately." Sad, but true. The Dolphins haven't been in the Super Bowl since I was in High School...and I've retired twice since then!
The NFL is now, and has always been a "what have you done lately" league.

I'm a pretty hardcore fan of the Phins and football in general. Aside from the undefeated season, there really isn't a lot that's unique.

I think putting the Dolphins as high as #8 in all time power rankings is a big stretch. I know, obviously, it was a different era, but that 72' team is probably a two win team today, and Griese wouldn't last 2 yrs in the league. I know that's blasphemous to some, but the early 70s Phins teams couldn't play with the late 80s Niners, the early 90s boys, the greatest show on turf, etc, IMO.

Well, I agree that it's ancient history, but my point is, as they don't think much of Miami due to what they have done lately (which I agree with), I find it weird that teams like the Browns, and Jets get thought higher with even a little success.

Just a little double standard.

I agree somewhat....but I'm tired of living on our past,ready to have a bright future.

I agree 100%, my problem is just the slight double standard, and just creating a little discussion on something that ticked me off a little bit.

I agree 100%, my problem is just the slight double standard, and just creating a little discussion on something that ticked me off a little bit.

Nobody likes to be disrespected, bro. It's all good. It'll make it that much sweeter when we're back on top.

Yeah but i dont think comparing decades is good either. Could the late 80s or 90s teams hang with the best of this era?
I agree, but the premise was all time power rankings. You, by definition, are comparing different eras, unless you qualify it otherwise.

Many good receivers today would get beaten to a pulp if they played in an era that didn't protect them, as today.

I had to stop reading when some knucklehead asserted that Bob Griese wouldn't last 2 years in today's league, and he actually had a few fellow knuckleheads thank him for that contribution.

Let's see, Dan Marino would throw for 7000 yards today, but Bob Griese would be out of the league. Sometimes I wonder why I bother sampling. I know some people wouldn't mind.

But the Happy Adjuster mindset is indeed supreme idiocy. I don't care who tells me to reduce that theme. It belongs, and far more than I supply it.

7vPoUtK.gif

I'm grateful to have been around for the Shula years.

Besides Miami being less than mediocre the past 15 years, the Dolphins have been flat out boring!

The only thing worthy of getting national attention since 2003 when Williams retired was the Wildcat when it was fresh.

It's got nothing to do with respect. Miami's been one of the most boring, if not the most boring period, franchises of the past several years. Teams like Buffalo and Oakland have high entertainment value because everyone loves a good train-wreck. Other teams with recent QB 1st round picks have decent entertainment value because let's see how the young guys develop -or not. With the Dolphins you have the perpetual 7-9 where nothing happens one way or another. Even Tannehill, when he's bad, can't suck properly. How many plays like the Bengal interception from last year has he had in his career? Maybe just the one. And how many great games? Maybe a couple. Most people would rather see how Bortles ruins a team with a great defense while bouncing passes off his OL's helmets. It's only natural.

The team is going a different direction. Grier is in charge, as in completely. He has hired an assistant who brings success.
Coaching is looking really good guys.
And for once, I'm not stressing on our QB situation. We will have a new QB this season or next.
To tell you the truth it's exciting to me to see where we will go. I'm on board and excited at the possibilities.

The Dolphins are one of the winningest franchises of all times. According to the "3 yards per carry" podcast, up until 2003 (I think that's the year Alf noted on the podcast), the Dolphins were the NFL team with the greatest winning percentage. And for a long time the Dolphins were the winningest (highest winning percentage) team in any US pro sport. So call it whatever you want, but this team was awesome.

Fast forward to today … we're not awesome. People have endured a LOT of bad coaches since the retirement of the GOAT, Coach Don Shula. Nobody could take the mantle successfully. But it's not us … we just haven't found another phenomenal coach. IMHO, that's what it's all about, finding the next great coach. Until then, we'll be OK to decent, but not dominant like we used to be.

Young fans aren't going to remember this … but there was a long time when the New England Patriots were laughing stocks of the NFL. They regularly made these videos called "follies" where players did foolish things like fumbles, look confused, and generally look stupid. The Patriots players were in a lot of them. But once Kraft illegally tapped up Bill Belichick from under the nose of Bill Parcels and the in-division rival Jets, it's all been nothing but celebrations for the Patriots. They went from mediocrity to dynasty dominance. And we can return to that dynasty dominance … if we find the right coach. The Patriots weren't special … Bill Belichick is special and he made the Patriots special. Don Shula took a horrible Dolphins team and turned us into a dominant dynasty. And we can return there … if we find the next great coach.

The Dolphins are one of the winningest franchises of all times. According to the "3 yards per carry" podcast, up until 2003 (I think that's the year Alf noted on the podcast), the Dolphins were the NFL team with the greatest winning percentage. And for a long time the Dolphins were the winningest (highest winning percentage) team in any US pro sport. So call it whatever you want, but this team was awesome.

Fast forward to today … we're not awesome. People have endured a LOT of bad coaches since the retirement of the GOAT, Coach Don Shula. Nobody could take the mantle successfully. But it's not us … we just haven't found another phenomenal coach. IMHO, that's what it's all about, finding the next great coach. Until then, we'll be OK to decent, but not dominant like we used to be.

Young fans aren't going to remember this … but there was a long time when the New England Patriots were laughing stocks of the NFL. They regularly made these videos called "follies" where players did foolish things like fumbles, look confused, and generally look stupid. The Patriots players were in a lot of them. But once Kraft illegally tapped up Bill Belichick from under the nose of Bill Parcels and the in-division rival Jets, it's all been nothing but celebrations for the Patriots. They went from mediocrity to dynasty dominance. And we can return to that dynasty dominance … if we find the right coach. The Patriots weren't special … Bill Belichick is special and he made the Patriots special. Don Shula took a horrible Dolphins team and turned us into a dominant dynasty. And we can return there … if we find the next great coach.

Very true, all it take is one exceptional leader to coach this team to success, and it's a new story.

Back
Top Bottom