To Trade, Or Not To Trade X | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

To Trade, Or Not To Trade X

I would absolutely trade X Howard for a 2020 1st round pick. And I would do that with the plan of stocking up ammo to get a franchise QB like Tua or Fromm.

I love X Howard but a CB isn't going to lead us back to relevancy like a franchise QB could.

And this team isn't going to make the playoffs anytime soon and we will probably waste X Howard's prime years trying to rebuild so by the time we are competitve Howards play will probably be on the decline.

If this is a true rebuild. I’m afraid you’ll have to trade him for a 1st. He’s going to want top 5 money, and what’s the point in having a top 5 corner on a team that’s rebuilding? Miami should have traded Parker in the regular season

Geeze the draft is such a poop shoot. We keep trading our best players for draft picks and then complain why we have all those scrubs on our roster. Wow wonder why.
When have we done that? I wish we would have at least done that. We do worse, we let our players walk for nothing on many occasions.

For example Landry. If you had no intention of keeping him, he should have been traded the year before.

Parker? He wasn't much, by a year and a half ago, you probably could have found some sap to give you a fourth for him.

Phillips? He wasn't elite, and pretty lazy, but there was a window when you could have picked up a late 2nd, or a 3rd round pick for him.

I don't think I blame Grier for that incompetence either. I know some here will.

Geeze the draft is such a poop shoot. We keep trading our best players for draft picks and then complain why we have all those scrubs on our roster. Wow wonder why.
Well in this scenario you trade those nice pics for a QB you have high hopes for, not draft more Parkers and Harris types with those extra pics

If there's a QB you 100% believe in, then absolutely trade X to get him. Maybe don't offer him right away, but yeah do whatever it takes to go get your man. That's why i've never bashed on the Carroo trade - they believed in a guy and went after him. They were wrong about him but i like that approach - especially for a QB.

The Chiefs didn't "tank" to get Patrick Mahomes - they saw a guy they liked and did what it took on draft day to get him - gave up a ton. If we get a guy like Mahomes (or any darn good QB) i could give a %^*& about a replaceable CB.

No sense at getting rid of all of your talent if you're eventually trying to be good again. No guarantee the pick you get for him will amount to anything. That's why it's stupid to trade proven players for picks.
I think the premise was that you pair that pick with another 1st? 2nd?, to get the franchise QB. No, there is no guarantee on anyone, but the chances of getting the guy you want are much higher if you can move up to cthe top few picks.

Nobody is wrong, on this one. I can see both sides.

No sense at getting rid of all of your talent if you're eventually trying to be good again. No guarantee the pick you get for him will amount to anything. That's why it's stupid to trade proven players for picks.

That’s a fair point but I’m just not convinced that X is a true shut down corner yet. Our defense has sucked with him. I know it’s not his fault but you really think he has earned highest paid CB in the NFL money or are we just desperate?

We could bundle that pick to make sure we get the QB when it’s time.

Also question: If we just let it play out this next season and he plays good...could we trade him holding the franchise tag over his head? or is it franchise him or he’s a FA aka goner? I don’t really think he wants to stay here honestly

I was just watching Xs and Omar, and they were discussing the wisdom of trading X, for a #1 + possibly more, with the intention of using that capital to move up for a QB, presumably in 2020.

I'm on the fence with that philosophy.
What say you Phinhaven?

It would be one thing to trade him if Miami had a couple of average CBs. Miami has McTyer and Armstrong

For a 1st and a 3rd I'd ship him off. His injury history bothers me a bit with him wanting top dollar and all. I'd rather sell high right now and bet that he won't live up to that huge contract and the picks we would get for him.

When have we done that? I wish we would have at least done that. We do worse, we let our players walk for nothing on many occasions.

For example Landry. If you had no intention of keeping him, he should have been traded the year before.

Parker? He wasn't much, by a year and a half ago, you probably could have found some sap to give you a fourth for him.

Phillips? He wasn't elite, and pretty lazy, but there was a window when you could have picked up a late 2nd, or a 3rd round pick for him.

I don't think I blame Grier for that incompetence either. I know some here will.

Laundry fetched a 4th rounder
Jay Ajayi 5th or 4th pick
Lamar Miller 5th pick
O Vernon 3rd round pick
Mathews a 7th rounder I believe

These guys are all featured starters on other teams

Well in this scenario you trade those nice pics for a QB you have high hopes for, not draft more Parkers and Harris types with those extra pics
No problem with that but I am not voting to loose for 2 years just to hope to draft a QB.

For a 1st and a 3rd I'd ship him off. His injury history bothers me a bit with him wanting top dollar and all. I'd rather sell high right now and bet that he won't live up to that huge contract and the picks we would get for him.
I guess that's really what it comes down to for me. Not if, but what would it take?

JJ built a whole team off from a couple trades. MD traded the saints future for RW.

I think I want a 1st, and a 2nd, from a bottom10 team.

Back
Top Bottom