To Trade, Or Not To Trade X | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

To Trade, Or Not To Trade X

What...why trade him when all you have to do is lose next year. Put in a **** Qb like Fales or Oswiler take out the trash with all the high priced underachievers. Recipe for success! trade Jones, Mc Cain, Alonzo, Tannehil for what’re you can get if not ...cut...cut Branch Amendola, Spence, Larson, let wake, Parker walk

Last edited:
I will point to KC and them moving away from Marcus Peter's.

Except as I have stated in previous threads, no extensions and no new big money contracts right now, NONE.

This FO should be about getting any possible return on pieces like Howard for the out years, more specifically 2020. The single lone piece I do not move on from is LT. Other than that, maybe Fitzpatrick, I concentrate on inside out building.

The Chiefs defense has taken a step back, but their future contract obligations look doable.

Xavien Howard is an extremely good cornerback. He's also very young. Those guys don't grow on trees.

I think this is real simple. You are cutting or trading a bunch of guys this off-season, and the NFL has a salary floor. You identify the young players who are actually good that you can extend (Howard for one... is Tunsil eligible?) and you front load their contracts while building through the draft. Then you roll over any money that's left over for the next year.

Everybody wins, except on the field.

It looks like you guys need to finish getting the Mike Tennenbaum out of your system with these stupid ideas. Finish detoxing guys. Any other idiot ideas? Should we trade Tunsil when his new contract is due? Fitzpatrick? Anyone care to sign Drake to a 100M contract? You guys done detoxing that T-Baum jackassery yet?

Trading Howard won't happen. Our FO will let him go into free agency and get nothing in return.
NE would trade him for high picks if he wanted too much money.
We won't give him the money but won't trade him either. That's the Dolphins way.

I think the point of that trade is solely to acquire draft capital that can be used to move up in the 2020 draft; not to just use the 1st we might get for X just to acquire a different player with that pick. I think I'd rather we just be really terrible next year so that we don't need to trade up and then do what JDWanny suggested with front loading X's contract.

were jumping the gun just a bit, lets let them negotiate and then see where that leads us. if he is seriously going to be a financial distraction here and not just posturing before his deal is up, well then we can tag him and think about working on a trade. got to pay somebody and he is only 25, if were looking at a 3 or 4 year rebuild he will still be in his prime in that time frame.

So we are 2-3 years hypothetically from competing. At that point we will need two lockdown corners to sufficiently compete. We just drafted one. Pay the man and forget about it.

You have to go back to the philosophy of the team. And if Grier would communicate it we’d all love that. But I can bet one of his tenets is to retain your high performing / all conference / all pro talent when their first contract renewal comes up.

I don't think he would fetch a first round pick. If so, I would certainly consider it.

Howard does not have a history of being elite. Our pass defense has been garbage in every recent season.

If we sign him to a league leading contract I'd estimate within a year or two it would be viewed leaguewide as a major mistake and an example of what not to do.

Don't like it but I'm in the camp right now that i trade everybody i can for as high of and as many picks as i can get. That includes X. If his salary demands are as high as we're hearing.

You lock up X & Tunsil, draft players this year, get the defense and o-line somewhat at-standard level for NFL measuring stick, take your lumps this upcoming & the following draft give up whatever it takes to move up if you have to move up for your QB. Take the new modern NFL approach of draft a young QB, stack other skill spots on the team and ride it out for 4-5 years before having to blow it up aka pay the QB

If we are all in on a total rebuild which is what many fans are screaming for, then this kind of move would make lots of sense.

If the team had even a modicum of a functioning pass rush it would matter way less. I'm not entirely sold on Howard as a top tier corner but he is clearly an ascending player. I'd prefer they lock him up but if they could get a first for him I wouldn't be heartbroken if they dealt him either. I'd rather have an upper echelon pass rusher than X.

No... this team has some really good young pieces to build around.

If we find a QB... were not as far away as you think.

Reactions: A1.
Back
Top Bottom