To Trade, Or Not To Trade X | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

To Trade, Or Not To Trade X

were jumping the gun just a bit, lets let them negotiate and then see where that leads us. if he is seriously going to be a financial distraction here and not just posturing before his deal is up, well then we can tag him and think about working on a trade. got to pay somebody and he is only 25, if were looking at a 3 or 4 year rebuild he will still be in his prime in that time frame.
It's true he would be in his prime 3 yes from now.

I can see situations where using the franchise tag creates animosity, and Howard's recent comments lead me to believe he may be the type that may harbor bad feelings, if he perceives himself as being underpaid.

Perhaps his statements were just snap reactions, and it has been completely overblown.

I don't think he would fetch a first round pick. If so, I would certainly consider it.

Howard does not have a history of being elite. Our pass defense has been garbage in every recent season.

If we sign him to a league leading contract I'd estimate within a year or two it would be viewed leaguewide as a major mistake and an example of what not to do.
So, your position is he has no trade value, AND signing him to a big $ contract would be a mistake?

Might as well just cut him now, I guess.

No... this team has some really good young pieces to build around.

If we find a QB... were not as far away as you think.
I think2021 is, realistically, the first year we can be a solid team. That's if we are fortunate.

Yes, the right QB makes a difference in record, and perhaps just as important, perception.

The reality is, we are, at a minimum, 2 very successful drafts away from rebuilding the lines. More likely, 3 drafts, as other positions also need to be addressed.

We have some young guys, with upside. Minkah, obviously, X, Baker and LT.

We also have major areas of weakness.

Do you think we are closer than 3yrs? I'm not seeing it.

This is the dumbest running idea coming from Dolphins fans/media right now.

Let’s trade one of the best CB’s in the league.... those definitely grow on trees

We are going to be the Miami Marlins soon.

Develop young good player and simply let them go elsewhere and perform well.

But hey, cap space and picks!

i don't get it.. trade away our best defensive player on a defense that stinks which will create another hole which they will have to address in with a crap shoot draft pick or a FA pick up..

sounds like a plan

Developing our own draft picks is something Miami has failed to do for decades and is why they’ve resorted to bringing in old and overpriced mercenaries. I believe thats one of the changes Grier is focused on. Draft well and keep your own guys. If we do use FA bring in young, hungry players to fill hiles and for depth. Drake, Tunsil, Fitz, X and R Jones are our guys and we drafted them. They are also our best players and not a coincidence. We need to do our best to keep them. Our other key draft picks will IMO be future stars. Ballage, Grant, Baker, McMillan. Looking at the roster Grier has actually drafted pretty well recently with this core which is why he was retained. Keep X, draft another CB and QB, and rebuilding the D and O lines is key to our success

we need to suck big time to get Tua or Fromm in 2020. If a team like the cardinals or raiders offered us a 1st in 2020, you know they will have a top 5 pick in 2020....so ya, make the trade.

The current best CB in the league is on the Jaguars....and they are out. Elite CBs dont win super bowls.

Plus, Howard has been injured a lot. He isnt worth that much.

If we have an obvious Top 5 pick in 2020 then no need to tank in 2019.

So, your position is he has no trade value, AND signing him to a big $ contract would be a mistake?

Might as well just cut him now, I guess.

I think people are overreacting to Howard saying he wants to be the league's highest-paid CB. Of course he wants that. He'll get a nice deal that will likely put him in the top 5 at his position, but when some other CB's hit the market in a year or two, the deal will look more reasonable. I do think that Awsi's point is correct. 2018 was Howard's best year by a wide margin, so you should be careful of paying too much for that one year. Better to consider his aggregate play and trajectory.

No thank you, the rebuild should start now, not after 2020 when we may or may not have a good prospect at QB. I'd much rather see us spend the cap on our homegrown talent rather than FA's. If we bin off some of the overpaid ones, we can easily afford to pay X.

No... this team has some really good young pieces to build around.

If we find a QB... were not as far away as you think.

This. You neee a QB and some structure. We have a lot of young talent - lock em up, find a QB, continue investing in the lines and we are looking really good

Minus the QB there's win now talent here

The team needs a good QB just has much as a good QB needs a good team to go anywhere. I'd much rather trade future picks to get there than proven players, and even then I don't like the idea... Trading up with futur picks is like using your credit card, if you're not careful, you're going broke with nothing to show for it...

If you really want ammo for 2020, trade down this year for future picks, you'll get twice as much for your pick at the exact time you expect to need them...

Last edited:
This is the dumbest running idea coming from Dolphins fans/media right now.

Let’s trade one of the best CB’s in the league.... those definitely grow on trees

The KC media and the NE corridor media were saying the same thing you are now, when Marcus Peter's was being talked about on the trade block.

So was Dorsey and Reid, dumb?

The team needs a good QB just has much as a good QB needs a good team to go anywhere. I'd much rather trade future picks to get there than proven players, and even then I don't like the idea... Trading up with futur picks is like using you're credit card, if you're not careful, you're going broke with nothing to show for it...

If you really want ammo for 2020, trade down this year for future picks, you'll get twice as much for your pick at the exact time you expect to need them...
This

Back
Top Bottom