To Trade, Or Not To Trade X | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

To Trade, Or Not To Trade X

The more I think about it the more I hate the idea of trading an already very good young player with elite potential for a draft pick. You're essentially giving the other team what they hope to get with the draft pick they are giving you in return...
More extremely put, if I win the lotto, Im not trading you the jackpot for another lotto ticket...

Let's see....the NFL is a passing league and we found a rising star at CB who is a shut down corner. The normal thing to do would be to retain and build a defense around this man. The Miami thing to do as suggested by the idiot Omar would be to trade him for some bullshit pick the front office would **** up anyway.

Here's how it would go; trade X to someone for a 1st, draft a center with with the pick.

Let's see....the NFL is a passing league and we found a rising star at CB who is a shut down corner. The normal thing to do would be to retain and build a defense around this man. The Miami thing to do as suggested by the idiot Omar would be to trade him for some bullshit pick the front office would **** up anyway.

Here's how it would go; trade X to someone for a 1st, draft a center with with the pick.
Actually, Omar wasn't the one pushing it, Hyde was.

I don't take a lot of stock in Omar's opinion, but he wasn't on board so much as DH.

This move would make the opposite of sense. Who in the world is convinced that the Fins would then turn around and use that 1st round pick to bring as much to the team as X already gives them?

Hell no.

I like X, but who’s to say we actually hit on him? Consistency is key. It would be so Miami if X gets paid and regresses or continues to miss games from injury.

Seems like something this dumb ****ing team would do.

Anytime you are getting more value than you used, it has to be considered. With that said, the way this scouting department operates, I wouldn't trust them to use the compensation correctly. It's a big no for me.

initial reaction was hell *ucking no! but then I thought about it, although I dont think we could get a 1st for him, dont think itd be worth it anyway...he is still young and just cause we are now set a couple years back doesnt mean to unload all our talent, esp. young talent....older guys who are overpaid, yes let them go...but guys from 2015 draft and on can still be the core players for this team

Absolutely not. He's a fantastic player, up and coming, who plays one of the key positions in the game. Has this Franchise shown a consistent ability to draft good CBs? No, so we'd basically be making a hole that we'd have no guarantee would be filled correctly.

Sooo.....if...IF.....lets just say Luck was coming out this year, and trading X allowed you to take him...would you do it?

I am never the guy advocating trades. Folks are always posting, "this person is really good now, lets get draft value and trade them!" Most times I am against it. Hate seeing our good players play elsewhere, especially when coming by them is so rare for us. This is one of those rare circumstances where I would consider it if all the contingents were met.

1) It would guarantee we could get a premiere QB like Luck, freakin' Mahomes, etc.

Yep, that's the only one.

So the problem in all this: draft players are unknowns. Sure things sometimes are busts or just mediocre.

This thread can go several ways. If it's just, "would you trade X to get a higher pick this year or next, would you do it?" HECKS NO.

If however, trading X guaranteed us taking Tua, for example, next year...well then....you've suddenly caught my interest. I would not trade X now in hopes of getting a high pick and a CHANCE at Tua next year. It would have to be no question, no doubt, a team is on the clock next year, we call them and say we will give you X if you let us take our guy. Guaranteed.

I'm sorry boys. Yeah we need shutdown CBs in this league to have success on defense. But we need a QB to have a real shot at competing. We currently have X and Mink and Jones back there with a middle of the pack QB (*correction, thanks to a thread on here, I see THill is ranked last according to PFF, perfect). I see we missed the playoffs again. Everyone wants the glory days to return. We've been sitting in "eh" territory for a long time. Truly since Marino...since we had that franchise QB.

But, why are we even discussing this. Fins will tank next year and we will be able to keep X and draft Tua. Win-win. Well....lose a lot. Then maybe start winning.

pay him and watch him spend at least half of next season on IR.
previous to this season he pretty much was burned regularly. he was burned plenty this season and i dont think you can count with the ints next season. turnovers come and go but the burning stays.

If he garnered a first round pick that was used to get a QB (Tua, Murray, Fromm), then yeah I am pulling that trigger. Think he's a good player, but if you can get a QB by trading him then you do it. If its just a first rounder to use for another position, I think its really dumb. I don't know if he even gets a first rounder though or a first rounder thats valuable enough to move up in that top 5 range.

A young pro-bowl at an impact position is two 1st round picks. Maybe a first this year and another first in 2020.
Would I do it?
Hell yeah and twice on Sunday!

Odds are a team acquiring him is doing so for a deep hopeful playoff push.

So, it's not like we'll be getting a guaranteed top 10 pick, barring some weird collapse from said team.

Dallas gave away a first for a 24 year old receiver, with 2 PBs in 4 years of playing and they will be picking in the 20's come April.

Raiders picked Amari Cooper 4th overall in 2015 and now will draft someone, pending trades, in the 20's this year, with said draft pick they got from Dallas.

The Dolphins could use their pick and the later first* to move up for a QB, along with other picks. But now the secondary is a tire fire along with OL, DL, LB, maybe WR going into 2019.

Back
Top Bottom