To Trade, Or Not To Trade X | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

To Trade, Or Not To Trade X

IMO, with the tangible benefit of hindsight, X is worth at least a first round pick.. and likely much more than that.

I don't see many scenarios where I'd trade him, but one would be to the Ravens for Harbaugh.

IMO, with the tangible benefit of hindsight, X is worth at least a first round pick.. and likely much more than that.

I don't see many scenarios where I'd trade him, but one would be to the Ravens for Harbaugh.
respectfully disagree, in that scenario, I'll just wait a season and re evaluate...

Subpar? Once you use that word to describe another player, your bias shows. Should we compare pure numbers between the 2?
Subpar was the wrong word, apologies.

But there’s no doubt that his final year wasn’t as good as his previous years. Even if it was bya slight margin.

My point was more so to say that X is CLEARLYascending, while Peters was not (even ifit was the same or slightly declining).

You DONT trade ASCENDING blue chip players.... You trade him for picks, then what?HOPE that you get a player as good as him? Hmmm

Subpar? Once you use that word to describe another player, your bias shows. Should we compare pure numbers between the 2?
Also, when I say his final year was not as good as previous years. I AM including his antics. He didn’t do himself any favors.... So when I say the 2 situations can’t compare- that is my MAIN point, which was conveniently ignored.

It depends on the offer. I know X is loved here, but a first rounder for a player coming off a knee injury has to be something we seriously consider. If the pick is say top 20 I think I'd definitely make the trade. Toward the bottom of the first round, I probably hold onto X.

Subpar was the wrong word, apologies.

But there’s no doubt that his final year wasn’t as good as his previous years. Even if it was bya slight margin.

My point was more so to say that X is CLEARLYascending, while Peters was not (even ifit was the same or slightly declining).

You DONT trade ASCENDING blue chip players.... You trade him for picks, then what?HOPE that you get a player as good as him? Hmmm

Now you again are playing more word games to justify your earlier comment.

1 year in the league is the difference between the 2 men. 1 had a remarkable first 3 years in KC, while the other has finally found his footing in year 3 in Davie.

Ascending or in your opinion slight declining is just your view through your prism because X is a Phin When there is a limited comparison between the 2 based on their first 3 years in the league. Peter's down year can be attributed to new team, new scheme while it took X 3 years to reach numbers Peter's reached as a ROOKIE.

If X had Peter's numbers his 1st 3 years that were on par, my argument would be tougher to make.

A lot of things to consider here, to include he has missed at least 4 games in 2 of his 3 seasons and has missed a total of 25% of his games. If he is truly looking to be the highest paid CB in the league, trade him,

Also, when I say his final year was not as good as previous years. I AM including his antics. He didn’t do himself any favors.... So when I say the 2 situations can’t compare- that is my MAIN point, which was conveniently ignored.

It wasnt ignored, because it had zero bearing on the talking points last year when the rumor mill cranked up in KC and the NE media corridor.

KC fans and talk radio locally were making the exact same talking points and yet we see the results moving forward.

My point stands, if you rebuild this team right, you do it inside out. A CB with 1 solid year, and heading into a contract year should be sold off for future considerations if the circumstances allow it. You will win in this league by scoring points first and foremost.

And pure numbers between the 2 CBs, especially head to head on their 1st 3 years....shows one who actually deserved the debate and another slightly held up on a hometown pedestal by the faithful.

Trade him if you can get a first round pick IMO. No sense in having the highest paid CB in the league on a tanking team. If he was in the 12 mil range I would say re sign him now but 16+ for a guy who is solid but missed 25% of his games in his first 3 seasons seems a little stupid to pay him Patrick Peterson money aka HOF’r money

Tanking does not exist, and I doubt any franchise ever consciously planned to tank. Losing is a habit!!

X is a foundational piece of the defense, and it would be foolish not to pay the man. I am fine with a 14-15 mil a year 6 year contract.

Tanking does not exist, and I doubt any franchise ever consciously planned to tank. Losing is a habit!!

X is a foundational piece of the defense, and it would be foolish not to pay the man. I am fine with a 14-15 mil a year 6 year contract.

Cool let’s keep going 7-9 every year it’s working great!

No, mediocrity is a habit.

Losing is the only way for bad teams to become good teams in the NFL quickly. It's the way the league is set up. Like you, I don't subscribe to the spirit of tanking. But in the NFL, I certainly subscribe to the logic of it. You're either getting better or getting worse in the NFL, and neither lasts very long.

The question is the cost. There is a pay point at which he is too expensive, and it is better to trade him than to pay or lose him to free agency.

No, mediocrity is a habit.

Losing is the only way for bad teams to become good teams in the NFL quickly. It's the way the league is set up. Like you, I don't subscribe to the spirit of tanking. But in the NFL, I certainly subscribe to the logic of it. You're either getting better or getting worse in the NFL, and neither lasts very long.

Well said.

Logic vs. Spirit. Never heard it worded like that. I could never bring myself to root for the Dolphins to lose, a la last Sunday.

In the same token, I golfed instead of watching the game and was pleased when I saw we were losing.

Logic.

The franchises who have had long term success such as the Steelers and Patriots would trade a player who wants top money after 1 good year and has missed a couple games 2 of the past 3 years.

We are too thin at the position to consider it, IMO. You can't add another position to the already desperate needs of this franchise (QB, OL, TE, WR).

Back
Top Bottom