Today in history...January 13, 1974 - Super Bowl VIII | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Today in history...January 13, 1974 - Super Bowl VIII

I was 8 years old. I truly believed we would be great forever.
Losing Csonka, Warfield and Kiick to the WFL was devastating. I don't think fans of today understand that impact. There was no free agency. Trades were pretty rare. You relied on the draft and Miami wasn't going to replace two Hall of Famers with drafted players.

Don Nottingham wasn't bad and Nat Moore emerged. But the Dolphins went from a super bowl quality team to a team in the playoff chase. A big difference.

Putting it into perspective, it would be like the Steelers losing Franco Harris, Lynn Swann and Rocky Bleier. Or SF, in their heyday, losing Jerry Rice, Roger Craig and Tom Rathman. And only being able to replace those guys via the draft.

Oh well, just venting here. I also thought Miami was going to win more championships. Thought that the first time I saw Dan Marino play against the Raiders as well.

Last edited:
We had a lot of good years after. We were always a team worthy of following until Shula retired. He was our rock. We never hit bottom while he was in charge.
McDrip gives me hope for the future.

We had a lot of good years after. We were always a team worthy of following until Shula retired. He was our rock. We never hit bottom while he was in charge.
McDrip gives me hope for the future.
That was the gift of Don Shula. Miami was almost always relevant. There weren't many years where I felt like the Dolphins didn't have a chance.

As a fan, that's really all you can ask for. Plus, he did bring championships.

Back
Top Bottom