Today in history...January 13, 1974 - Super Bowl VIII | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Today in history...January 13, 1974 - Super Bowl VIII

Fins1971

C'mon Dolphins
Club Member
Reaction score
I was 11 at the time. My parents had planned a camping / snowmobiling weekend with my dads co workers.

I protested going and was able to talk my older brother into watching me for weekend so I could see the game. It was a dominant victory and i remember not being worried at all during game.

My brother had to work so I sat at home and watched the game. Cooked myself 2 chicken pot pies for halftime and enjoyed the 2nd half beat down.

Thanks to OP for reliving the moment.

'Deep

"Pick your guy and let it fly"
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
I was 11 at the time. My parents had planned a camping / snowmobiling weekend with my dads co workers.

I protested going and was able to talk my older brother into watching me for weekend so I could see the game. It was a dominant victory and i remember not being worried at all during game.

My brother had to work so I sat at home and watched the game. Cooked myself 2 chicken pot pies for halftime and enjoyed the 2nd half beat down.

Thanks to OP for reliving the moment.
Hell of a memory you have on cooking the pot pies! My folks and their friends back in the '70s, '80s would have get togethers for SBs, WS, New Year's Day Bowl Games etc. Basically they all got lit! And It always fell to some older kid of a parent to watch the other kids and take us bowling, miniature golf, movies, etc. Well, that SB my parents let my brother and I stay home alone and watch. I remember my brother burned the Tonys frozen pizza. I told him I was going to call the folks and tell them I didn't get to eat unless he pedaled his bike down to A&W. Good memories and I miss my brother. Gone last year at 59

Fins1971

C'mon Dolphins
Club Member
Reaction score
Hell of a memory you have on cooking the pot pies! My folks and their friends back in the '70s, '80s would have get togethers for SBs, WS, New Year's Day Bowl Games etc. Basically they all got lit! And It always fell to some older kid of a parent to watch the other kids and take us bowling, miniature golf, movies, etc. Well, that SB my parents let my brother and I stay home alone and watch. I remember my brother burned the Tonys frozen pizza. I told him I was going to call the folks and tell them I didn't get to eat unless he pedaled his bike down to A&W. Good memories and I miss my brother. Gone last year at 59
Sorry to hear about losing your brother. That had to be tough. My brother turns 60 in March. We live together and race go karts every chance we get. I can’t image life with out him right now. He helped me get through ugly divorce.

bane

Club Member
Reaction score
Strange game because there was almost zero tension locally during the build up, in such contrast to a year earlier. It looked like a perfect matchup for the Dolphins and played out that way.

I had predicted at least 250 yards rushing and thought that was low. The game started out that way then Miami got a bit complacent after the first drive of the second half and mostly played defense and field position for the remainder.

Shula had a really lousy history in the second halves of Super Bowls. Two touchdowns total, I believe, in 6 games. One with the Colts during the 16-7 loss to the Jets, and the third quarter touchdown in this game. Nothing against the Cowboys, Redskins, Redskins again or 49ers.

I had never heard that trend until my first year in Las Vegas, the 1984 football season. Miami was somehow put up -3.5 and even -4 at halftime against the 49ers. It looked totally ridiculous the way San Francisco had dominated the second quarter. My friend Super Dave from Toronto ran to the window to bet huge on the 49ers. He came back and said, "If you can watch that game and not bet the 49ers at that number, I don't know why you are in this town." Then he started laughing and detailed Shula's second half Super Bowl woes. That was a jarring year in many respects as I sensed I was surrounded by guys who knew lots of stuff I didn't know.
That is really interesting. Thanks for the.

Top Bottom