Todays Otas | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Todays Otas

I'm not worried about not scoring on the first series of a game. If they put up 2 70 yard TDs after a bad first series, I'll take that every week.

Definitely does help the team start with an edge, though. But you're right in that the end result matters far more than simply the first drive of the game.

And another point: just because something was done one way doesn't mean it was the right way to do things.

I laugh at your notion that the only work that happens is on the field.

I agree. N F L footie ball is more like chess!

Cracks me up that players were complaining about the humidity, blah blah blah. These wimps today would've never survived a Don Shula run training camp back in the 70's when Shula at times had 3 practices a day!!! Many two a days. Now the players practice only once per day in training camp because the NFLPA won't allow any more practices then that. And don't forget the players now even practice at times in an air conditioned bubble for crying out loud. The players in the Shula camps never had a bubble. These players today have it so much better than players from years past it isn't even funny.

You forgot to say something about millenials hanging out on your lawn and forgot to mention how you walked a mile to school uphill with a napkin on a stick as your backpack.

3 and out on the first series = good field position for opponent and momentum for them early.
Miami's offence and defence weren't good enough to take the momentum back = down by 10-20 pts at half

Bitch just to bitch i guess. Im betting you wouldn't call ANY of them wimps to their faces? Oh but since this is the internet and you can hide behind your keyboard your a total badass right?

I would definitely tell Jason Sanders that he's a whimp.

Cracks me up that players were complaining about the humidity, blah blah blah. These wimps today would've never survived a Don Shula run training camp back in the 70's when Shula at times had 3 practices a day!!! Many two a days. Now the players practice only once per day in training camp because the NFLPA won't allow any more practices then that. And don't forget the players now even practice at times in an air conditioned bubble for crying out loud. The players in the Shula camps never had a bubble. These players today have it so much better than players from years past it isn't even funny.

And yet these players would crush those guys by at least 40-50 points lol

You forgot to say something about millenials hanging out on your lawn and forgot to mention how you walked a mile to school uphill with a napkin on a stick as your backpack.
Let's not forget that today's players have to carry 50-70 pounds more than their counterparts from the Shula era. It's a lot easier for a 270 pound lineman to run in the Florida heat than a lineman that weighs 320.

Ok Ok the 2-days were eliminated or toned down to prevent injuries especially for the veteran players. The downside a young team rookies can use the reps etc. Times have changed too there are all kind of sub packages now which means specialization more and also players in more cases dont require the endurance factor of their older counterparts. So point taken a 320 pounder is going to suffer more in the heat but if course a 320 pounder would not be 320 pounds if he was practicing in the heat twice a day. As far as the practice bubble thats was created so we could still practice in the summer during our frequency rain storms.

Remember these otas are more about teaching opportunities than conditioning. Most people will tell you students who are in a comfortable inviorment learn better than those in harsh surroundings. I mean a geology professor at University of Miami would prefer to hold class in an air conditioned room than outside in 100 degrees or a driving rain.

Another weakness is allowing early scores and long drives by the other team.

Interesting data from Pro-Football Reference on 2016 opening drives:

https://www.pro-football-reference....d_quarter[]=2&tr_gtlt=lt&minutes=15&seconds=0

Shows a few things:

1. Opening drive scoring success was bottom third of the league.
2. Average starting field position was near the bottom of the league.
3. Average point differential when starting their first drive was near the bottom of the league.
4. Yards gained was closer to the middle of the league.
5. Opening drive success (at least for 2016) was not a good predictor of team success.

Falcons and Patriots had the highest success on their first drives and made it to the SB, but Chargers, Bengals, Colts, and Eagles were nearly as successful and all missed the playoffs. Meanwhile, the Texans, Dolphins, Raiders, Giants, and Seahawks had limited success on their first drives and all made the playoffs.

Back
Top Bottom