Todays the day..... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Todays the day.....

VanDolPhan

Practice Squad
Reaction score
........that we see if the Phins have any balls left in the FA market. I have this sinking feeling we aren't going to do jack squat. I really really hope we can nail down Marco Coleman. Gardener's back really concerns me and if he goes down again and we have to cut him after this season then at least we got a capable veteran for a couple years while we groom a new DE.

I think we are fine at WR and I would really like to see Robert Baker pull it out this year and nail down that 5th WR spot. I wanna really see what this kid can do in a real game situation.

If somehow the market for Blake bottoms out then I hope the phins go after him for insurance. This guy is flat out better then what we have at LT and the only question (and when isn't it) is the health. I'd be much more secure with Blake and Spriggs at LT then Smith/Spriggs. Plus the money to upgrade from Smith to Blake isn't as much as you would think because get this...............Smith's salary is 1.1 million not including the prorated portion of his signing bonus.

The biggest problem facing the Dolphins is $$$$$. We just don't have $9 million in salary cap space like the Philadelphia Eagles do. I expect we'll end up with either DE Rob Burnett or Panthers DE Jay Williams. Marco will more then likely sign with Philly.

Originally posted by Scrap Iron
The biggest problem facing the Dolphins is $$$$$.

Pffft. That's not their problem. Being tightwads is their problem. We currently have 3.071 million under the cap. There is no way the rookies (5 rookies...min salaries) cost more then to bring the cap # to 2 million flat. We currently have 87 (Yes 87) contracts currently without even including the draft picks.

We have the money and there is no way Coleman gets a contract higher then a 2.5 million a year average and a 3 million signing bonus. If it even gets to that point it would have to be because of a bidding war.

Simple ways to save money include:

Cut Jeff Ogden. Savings $525,000
Go with Tim Levchik and cut McSucks. Savings $225,000
Work out an injury settlement with James Wagstaff. Savings...at least $150,000
Cut Vitaly "cause you aren't replacing Mare and your wasting a spot" Pisetsky. Savings $225,000

There are plenty of ways to have money. It's just a matter of how much the phins want a player.

Well I agree the Dolphins are tightwads. They have been since Ol' Helmet Hair Jimmy Johnson was coach. I also agree that Jeff Ogden should be released and I wish he would've been cut a long time ago. He must have something on Wannstedt since he always sticks around no matter how much he sucks. But you and I both know that the Dolphins are not going to pay $1.5 million or more for Marco Coleman. It just isn't going to happen. Besides, we also need another offensive lineman, a LB and maybe another WR so breaking the bank on Coleman is a no-no.

VanDolphin. I believe you are a little off on your figuring. My understanding is that only the top 53 contracts or something like that number count against the cap. You could have 200 players under contract right now, and it would not make that much of a difference because quite a few of them count zero against the cap.

I don't disagree however concerning the fins traditionally being "tightwads". A lot of it may be just public perception, but, I think a lot of it has some merit.

the dolphins are not tightwads...they just pay their own guys...taylor,gardener,surtain,madison,zach all got big contracts...ricky will get one after the season and chambers will get one this year or next...they would rather spend money on guys they know...

I do not think Marco Coleman deserve 2.5 / year ; and particularly to be a backup. If he wants back for a reasonable salary, say 1 mil a year fine; otherwise, Burnett s/b fine as a backup.

Dolphan 39 knows....

I keep finding myself agreeing with this guy. I've never been a big Marco Coleman fan. When we had him, I thought he was okay. The guy had one big year that landed him an inflated contract. I think Burnett would be just as valuable, a better influence (he has a ring!) and would come cheaper.

I think we should be thankful the Dolphins are conservative in free agency. The last time they really opened their wallets was for Shula's last hurrah in 95, which turned out to be a disaster. I think it's a credit to the front office that we've been able to keep our defensive stars locked into long-term deals. If Ricky Williams has the type of season we're all hoping for, we're going to have to sign him to a new deal. Ditto for Chambers, Fletcher and Wade in another year or so. Since Wanny took over the team, nearly every decision has turned out right. Shula didn't win in the end b/c he signed all the wrong FAs and JJ drafted all the wrong offensive players. I really think Wanny and co. know what they're doing.

You have to consider how Miami have to spread that 3 mil out. They have to sign their rookie class,,about 1.44 mil,,then pay any injury cases during training camp, about 1 mil..sign FA's, and then have some left during the year to sign players as we get injuries. that pretty much keeps us very tigh with money. So they can't afford to pay coleman 2.5 mil. the vet min plus incentives maybe as good as they can do.

Originally posted by MDFINFAN
You have to consider how Miami have to spread that 3 mil out. They have to sign their rookie class,,about 1.44 mil,,then pay any injury cases during training camp, about 1 mil..sign FA's, and then have some left during the year to sign players as we get injuries. that pretty much keeps us very tigh with money. So they can't afford to pay coleman 2.5 mil. the vet min plus incentives maybe as good as they can do.
that is correct unless we cut someone like a T Perry - which is unlikely at this point.

Hey let's trade our 4th round pick in 2003 and our 1st in 2005 for Jevon Kearse. Could you imagine Taylor on one side Kearse on the other, and Gardener, Bowens and Chester rotating @DT?!?!?!?!?!

Originally posted by chambers84
Hey let's trade our 4th round pick in 2003 and our 1st in 2005 for Jevon Kearse. Could you imagine Taylor on one side Kearse on the other, and Gardener, Bowens and Chester rotating @DT?!?!?!?!?!

And we can trade every draft pick in 2006 and get Bret Farve, then we can ignore the salary cap and sign Coleman, Mckardell, and Brockemeyer.

I actually think our OL will be better, just because everyone's focusing on them with so much negative attention. When you think back to it, losing webb and (ohh, can't remember his name, we let Carolina sign, Kevin--Donaldson-I think), Our O suffer,,the year before with those 2, Lamar rushed like a maniac,,We loose those two and a couple of injuries to replacements and we went average, and the replacements would have been backups if we kept webb and kevin..at the time I was thinking why woould you break up a line that got Lamar that many yards..Oh well hindsight is always easier than foresight.

Bah don't go with Burnett just because of cost. Burnett won't do jack sh*t this season and if Gardener goes down we are screwed. The phins have done very little this offseason to improve this team and they really need the balls to go out and grab one solid addition which Burnett is not.

Very little, I'm not sure I agree with you.

VanDolPhan post
Bah don't go with Burnett just because of cost. Burnett won't do jack sh*t this season and if Gardener goes down we are screwed. The phins have done very little this offseason to improve this team and they really need the balls to go out and grab one solid addition which Burnett is not.

Let's see:
Trade for RW
Signed: Leon Searcy
Jamie Nails
Robert Edwards
OC Norv Turner
Kept most of the team intact..
Draft addressed needs..didn't have a 1 or 2nd rounds pick
May have a steel in corner backs with Ray Green,
Delvin Brown and Shields doing pretty good in Europe
Tried signing . Olin, C. Carter, now Burnett with an offer.
Was over cap by 7mil, now under by 3 mil. and still have
most of last year's team. Only lost 2 starters on D. But
got Chester, Gardner able to play DE, and still have Boston and Alegua (sp). Auturo played well last year, better hitter than Brian, which is saying a lot in itself.
Replaced running back with upgrade. Didn't loose any O,, but added the above names.
Kept WR's and may add some more to a good group.
Injured players are coming back, which hurt us last year.
We're talking SB.
and you say they've done very little to help this team. Hmmmm

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom