Todd McShay just said how he loved the Vernon pick | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Todd McShay just said how he loved the Vernon pick

matt11390

Starter
Reaction score
On ESPN commented he though Vernon was going to go in the 2nd round and Miami made a great pick. At least someone has a positive spin on it. I personally like it seeing who was left at the DE position.

In 2011 he had double digit sacks but was suspended most of this season for improper benefits. Mike Mayock commented how when he returned late in the season after the suspension he played with passion and great effort. Talked how the suspension could have renewed Vernon's play.

Mayock's take: "Out of all the underclassmen that came out this year, and I didn't think many should have, Vernon is one that I banged the table for. He's a solid 4-3 defensive end who can get edge pressure on the quarterback."

In 2011 he had double digit sacks but was suspended most of this season for improper benefits. Mike Mayock commented how when he returned late in the season after the suspension he played with passion and great effort. Talked how the suspension could have renewed Vernon's play.

He never had double digit sacks....he had 6 sacks in 2010 and 1.5 last year. He's NOT a great pass rusher. He has a good first step but lack elite burst or pass rush moves, mainly going to the bull rush or just trying to loop the tackle. He doesn't use a rip or play with good bend to use the dip and run the arc. He does play well against the run though for his size. The biggest knock on him from miami coaches was his off-season work ethic. He was constantly being pushed to work harder, be a leader. The potential is there but he needs to step up.

McShay likes Miami's draft. Vernon will be used like Melvin Ingram would have been used if he was drafted. looks like they will move vernon all around the defense to rush.

McShay should have been on the ESPN set from the outset of round one. There was plenty of room for four guys and McShay makes astute points with a handful of words. Their coverage really picked up when McShay joined the conversation early in the 3rd round.

I disagree that Vernon doesn't use the dip well. That's one of his best assets. He was just starting to trust his instincts and unleash at the end of the pass rush late in 2010, then the suspension to begin 2011 and he was predictably sluggish. We didn't draft him to play the run, let's put it that way.

McShay should have been on the ESPN set from the outset of round one. There was plenty of room for four guys and McShay makes astute points with a handful of words. Their coverage really picked up when McShay joined the conversation early in the 3rd round.

I disagree that Vernon doesn't use the dip well. That's one of his best assets. He was just starting to trust his instincts and unleash at the end of the pass rush late in 2010, then the suspension to begin 2011 and he was predictably sluggish. We didn't draft him to play the run, let's put it that way.

I think his best pass rush is when he starts outside, engages the tackle and then cuts inside. It's pretty quick and usually leads to good things. When he tries the arc, his rip isn't quite strong enough to knock the tackle off-balance enough to give him the leverage he needs to complete the arc and he typically ends up being washed just past the QB. He does show nice lean though, just not quite technically sound yet. Definite potential.

Back
Top Bottom