Todd McShay talks draft with Edgar Thompson & Omar Kelly | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Todd McShay talks draft with Edgar Thompson & Omar Kelly

FinAtic8480

Active Roster
Reaction score
McShay said all three players would be a reach at No. 12, said G Tech's Derrick Morgan a better fit, by a nose over USF's Jason Pierre-Paul.

McShay would put Sergio Kindle is second, but said he wasn't as productive at Texas as you'd have hoped, Jerry Hughes of TCU is next.

McShay said top 3-4 LB that fit Bill Parcells' mold is Michigan's Brandon Graham, who "is as good as you'll get in this class."

McShay said top 3-4 LB that fit Bill Parcells' mold is Michigan's Brandon Graham, who "is as good as you'll get in this class."

McShay said real chance WR Dez Bryant doesn't go in first 10, 11 spots - that would leave him to you know who.

Offensive tackles, defensive tackles, impact pass rushers, cornerbacks have more value than WRs, McShay said. "Diva" attitude adds to risk.

McShay said WRs are high risk picks ... have "more busts in first round than majority of other positions."

ESPN's Todd McShay on a conf call, will tweet highlights, said QB Sam Bradford "50-50" to go No. 1 to Rams, unless 3/29 Pro Day goes poorly.

"If you can get three starters from a draft, that's a good draft," ESPN's Todd McShay. "Two starts is an average draft."

"It's almost a punishment for the teams drafting in the first three picks. Really the top 7. You wind up paying so much money," Todd McShay.

Todd McShay says Joe Haden is the top CB this year. His Pro days proves his combine was hindered by a back strain. Questions about awareness

Behind Haden, Boise State's Kyle Wilson and Ala. Kareem Jackson are his best CBs. Says Jackson is the most under rated player in the draft.

Todd McShay's sleeper: TE Clay Harbor, WR Seyi Ajirotut, WR David Reed, WR Emmanuel Sanders (says he's a Davone Bess type).

Todd MCShay said the knee injury Clemson' Ricky Sapp is a concern, and points out he was inconsistent "Explosive pass rusher but too many ?"

ESPN's Todd McShay says UM TE Jimmy Graham needs to address some toughness issues, but won't get out of the 4th round.

"It's hard to find human being that are 6-6, 260, and run like him and have his athleticism," McShay said of Jimmy Graham.

"Not overly dominant & could stand to put on a little bit more bulk. I don't know if he has the mean streak you're looking 4," McShay on Fox

ESPN's Todd McShay says UM OT Jason Fox has durability issues, and projects him as a late round pick. "He's a decent athlete."

ESPN's Todd mcShay says Brandon Graham, Sergio Kindle, Jerry Hughes, Koa Misi are the draft's best 3-4 outside linebackers.

"He has accuracy, intelligence, toughness and intangibles. But he also comes with a couple of redflags," McShay on Oklahoma QB Sam Bradford.

Todd McShay says the draft's No. 1 spot is Sam Bradford's to lose. "A 50-50 chance he winds up going No.1." If fundamentals are off he wont

ESPN's Todd McShay said DE Sergio Kindle was productive at Texas, but needs to get stronger vs. the run. Best as upfield rusher, not OLBer

http://twitter.com/OmarKelly

http://twitter.com/edgarthompson

Good Stuff

McShay has been clearly surpassed by you guys at Universal, as well as a lot of others.

I have never been a fan of McShay over the years. I trust Mayock a lot more..

No one's perfect, they all make mistakes.. But McShay always seemed phony to me, and only states the obvious... as he has done for years. He is not the type that will ever come out with something "first" or "new"... EVER

All McShay is and ever will be is a regurgitator .

Me too, on Mayock over McShay. But even Mayock has a little tendency to reach for excitement over accuracy, which is much more a zeal thing than a dishonesty thing.

McShay just isn't very thorough and doesn't do his homework very well.

There is a world of difference between being a mere reporter, and being a true informer.

And McShay is clearly the former.... not the informer.

I will take Boomer and CK every day of the week and twice on Sundays over Mcshay and paid-off Kiper!

McShay has been clearly surpassed by you guys at Universal, as well as a lot of others.

I have never been a fan of McShay over the years. I trust Mayock a lot more..

No one's perfect, they all make mistakes.. But McShay always seemed phony to me, and only states the obvious... as he has done for years. He is not the type that will ever come out with something "first" or "new"... EVER

All McShay is and ever will be is a regurgitator .

I think you hit it on the head with saying he seems phony.............REAL phony, about as phony as they get.

I think a lot of people realize that McShay is who he is simply because he was the only guy who worked for Scouts Inc. that had a face for television. That's the absolute truth. He worked for Scouts Inc., they became an in-house scouting segment for ESPN, and they needed a guy that could go on TV. McShay became it.

I think a lot of people realize that McShay is who he is simply because he was the only guy who worked for Scouts Inc. that had a face for television. That's the absolute truth. He worked for Scouts Inc., they became an in-house scouting segment for ESPN, and they needed a guy that could go on TV. McShay became it.

:hi5:

Sounds about right.....

I have been following the draft for several years I look forward to reading CK and Boomer as much as any of the experts. Almost as much as I looked forward to my Joel Buchsbaum draft guides from the early 80s.But even he missed some, still have the guide where he says Dan Marino is a good but geat QB and compares him to Joe Ferguson a 70s from the Bills.

I prefer McShay over Mayock. He may specialize in transport more than original thought but he handicaps sources extremely well and annually comes up with summaries that I agree with, even if it's not a conventional theme.

Jimmy Graham is an excellent example. The question with him is toughness. I saw it all year and mentioned it here the first time his name came up prominently. I love Graham's frame and skills but he gives no impression of a basketball banger. I don't trust him not to get out worked and shoved around in traffic. McShay is the only high profile source who has highlighted that aspect, including the interview referenced in this thread. He used the phrase football toughness at Senior Bowl time, and I was envious I hadn't packaged it that well.

Frankly, I think Mayock is artificially helped from NFL Network benefit of a doubt. It's chic to believe a specialized network features superior personnel and insight. Mostly, it's bunk. I very rarely hear anything exceptional from Mayock and I'm not sure he wouldn't be dismissed as a mediocrity if we knew him solely from ESPN. As CK indicated, Mayock is overly excitable, frequently scrambling for an atypical opinion where it doesn't belong. He can sound like a goof on the Senior Bowl. In fact, if I referenced him solely from that work he'd camp at the bottom. For example, Mayock wasn't nearly as critical of Tebow's mechanics and poor NFL translation as McShay correctly would have been.

I prefer McShay over Mayock. He may specialize in transport more than original thought but he handicaps sources extremely well and annually comes up with summaries that I agree with, even if it's not a conventional theme.

Jimmy Graham is an excellent example. The question with him is toughness. I saw it all year and mentioned it here the first time his name came up prominently. I love Graham's frame and skills but he gives no impression of a basketball banger. I don't trust him not to get out worked and shoved around in traffic. McShay is the only high profile source who has highlighted that aspect, including the interview referenced in this thread. He used the phrase football toughness at Senior Bowl time, and I was envious I hadn't packaged it that well.

Frankly, I think Mayock is artificially helped from NFL Network benefit of a doubt. It's chic to believe a specialized network features superior personnel and insight. Mostly, it's bunk. I very rarely hear anything exceptional from Mayock and I'm not sure he wouldn't be dismissed as a mediocrity if we knew him solely from ESPN. As CK indicated, Mayock is overly excitable, frequently scrambling for an atypical opinion where it doesn't belong. He can sound like a goof on the Senior Bowl. In fact, if I referenced him solely from that work he'd camp at the bottom. For example, Mayock wasn't nearly as critical of Tebow's mechanics and poor NFL translation as McShay correctly would have been.

i think that's an excellent point...

The problem I have with McShay? He talks like a ****ing fortune teller. He just makes you THINK he's giving you information when he is not sticking his neck out at all. Observe:

McShay said real chance WR Dez Bryant doesn't go in first 10, 11 spots - that would leave him to you know who.

There is a "chance" he drops to 12? Relevatory.

Todd McShay says the draft's No. 1 spot is Sam Bradford's to lose. "A 50-50 chance he winds up going No.1." If fundamentals are off he wont

A 50-50 chance, huh? So in short you're saying it's between him and Suh and you have no idea what will happen? Going out on a limb with that one.

ESPN's Todd mcShay says Brandon Graham, Sergio Kindle, Jerry Hughes, Koa Misi are the draft's best 3-4 outside linebackers.

Ah, so if he is wrong, he can say, "Who would have known that so-and-so would have gotten moved to OLB and would have such success? He was a DE in college..."

Ridiculous.

I have to say I prefer Mayock but you've got to realize the guy still thinks like the hardworking, intelligent, physically limited 10th round pick he was. He always seems to overvalue players that match his own "college all-star who doesn't have the ability to play in the NFL" biography -- especially if they're secondary guys -- and while I think that's pretty natural, it also means you've got to take that bias into consideration before you let it inflate your opinion of guys he gushes over contrary to what's patently obvious (see: Pat White).

Back
Top Bottom