Tony Pauline says Chase doesn’t get past Fins at 3. | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tony Pauline says Chase doesn’t get past Fins at 3.

lol always come back to form slimm. Thanks for that 👍
Ditto. Like I said - I know what it takes.

You have a long ways to go to get any of that bullsh*t by me. That hasn’t changed.

It’s not about being right or wrong on a prospect. Anybody can watch the first 5 minutes of college football they e ever seen in their life and make a quick post about player X being great and end up right - but for all the wrong reasons.

You can be right but for the wrong reasons. Just like you can be wrong, but for the right reasons.

What it really boils down to is being able to put enough time in to be sure about the things you’re sure about. Understand the things you’re not quite as sure about. And tread lightly on the things you’re very unsure about.

That’s what a great evaluator does. They know enough to understand the things they don’t know.

It ain’t got sh*t to do with being right or wrong. Anybody gets both of those a lot even if they’ve never watched a minute of it.

Guess I ain’t getting any answer or discussion really on that lsu offense feature question.

🤷🏻‍♂️

Ditto. Like I said - I know what it takes.

You have a long ways to go to get any of that bullsh*t by me. That hasn’t changed.

It’s not about being right or wrong on a prospect. Anybody can watch the first 5 minutes of college football they e ever seen in their life and make a quick post about player X being great and end up right - but for all the wrong reasons.

You can be right but for the wrong reasons. Just like you can be wrong, but for the right reasons.

What it really boils down to is being able to put enough time in to be sure about the things you’re sure about. Understand the things you’re not quite as sure about. And tread lightly on the things you’re very unsure about.

That’s what a great evaluator does. They know enough to understand the things they don’t know.

It ain’t got sh*t to do with being right or wrong. Anybody gets both of those a lot even if they’ve never watched a minute of it.
I clearly haven't watched as much CFB as you have, however i've been watching it for 40+years. People do have different evaluations of players, and nobody is right all of the time.
You’re trying to rap to Tupac on that one.

Did I even get that right? Tupac?
Just calling it as I see it. Smitty was by favourite WR at Bama last year. Before he committed for another year I thought we could get him as a steal in the 2nd, maybe that 26th pick. He's a gem, just a little small for the men's league and there are legit concerns. I'd love him at 8, not so much at 3.

Guess I ain’t getting any answer or discussion really on that lsu offense feature question.

🤷🏻‍♂️

As much film as you watch seems like you’d have an answer instead of another open ended question.

Sure, let's actually start in reverse. There have been a LOT of WR's who were successful in college without the mass to succeed in the NFL. Guys like Tavon Austin who have simply been manhandled because they were too skinny and despite absolutely elite separation skills, quickness, and speed, were utterly useless at the NFL level. Generally there's a minimum weight/muscle mass of at least 185 lbs. Typically, the taller you are, the more muscle mass you require, which is why someone like Tyreek Hill can get by with less muscle mass than someone like Mike Evans. Davonta Smith is 6'1, which is on the taller side, but he's probably closer to 165 than even 175. Now, hopefully he's trying to add 25 or 30 lbs. of muscle to his frame, but that's a LOT of muscle and probably will significantly affect his speed and quickness. But, without it, he's likely to be manhandled and rendered far less effective as a pro.

Simply put, Ja'Marr Chase at 6'0 and 208 lbs. is a beast who is likely not going to have a problem with the extremely physical nature of NFL CB's, so his game translates to the pros far better than smaller, skinnier guys like Davonta Smith, Jalen Waddle, or Rondale Moore (who is majorly injury-prone). Simply put, if any of these guys could duplicate their collegiate success at the NFL level they'd be absolutely stellar NFL prospects. My preference is for the kid whose physical profile and skill set most reliably projects to the NFL level.

We saw it just last year with Henry Ruggs III, who was the first WR selected, yet was not as good as 2nd rounders who were bigger like Chase Claypool and Tee Higgins. When Odell Beckham Jr. exploded it hailed a victory for the smallish fast WR, but Beckham was 5'11 and 200 lbs. He wasn't really small. Most NFL receivers are at least 190 lbs., and at 200, Beckham was big enough to endure the physicality of the league. Smith is listed at 175 lbs ... and really he's closer to 165 at his Alabama playing weight, which is what you see on film. If Smith could do what he does at 200 lbs., I'd be 100% on board with him ... but the projection is that he can not. Thus we will not see the play that won him the accolades in college.

Ja'Marr Chase's 2019 film is unbelievable, he shows speed and acceleration in pads, run after catch elusiveness, great hands, physical strength at the catch point, good understanding of space in routes and after the catch, and durability. He's strong and thick, so he can make the jump up in competition. It's not that the film of Smith isn't spectacular to watch .... it's just that it's not representative of the NFL. It's a bunch of skinny kids who only spend a few hours a day working on their craft as they grow into their bodies. The NFL is full of guys who devote 10 hours a day every day for years into their craft, and have bodies that are rock freakin' solid of pure muscle, and all of them are bigger and faster than the guys in college ... and in the NFL, they think the game many times faster and more complex and holistically than the kids in college. Defenses are complex and QB's don't have time to let a WR play games vs. a weak CB. Chase can consistently win, giving his QB a window on time within the framework of an offense.

Hope that explains why I'm so high on Ja'Marr Chase as compared to all the other prospects.
Totally Disagree 180°
The only sure thing that translate from college to pro is speed. You run 43 in college, you run 43 in pro.
Other attributes like winnig 5050 ball, physical presence, may not translate to pro
. At pro level, all cb are strong, all cd fight for the ball. Success against college level is not a guarantee at pro level.
i.e. Grant could be a T Hill lite if he has hands.

Last edited:
To suggest the Dolphins would even consider taking a QB at #3 is pretty ridiculous to me.

Trade the pick? Sure. If there are absolutely no takers (and believe me, there will be) you take one of the three elite receiver prospects or Pitts. And you know you got a game breaker for the guy you already have, who is better than any of these other dudes coming out this year. Including Lawrence.

Nothing special about Pitts.
He is just a tall receiver that college coach lined him up at TE position.
Nothing special? He's a matchup nightmare for defenses. Did you watch him play at all this year?
He's fast for a TE, he does have WR speed and the speed to separate from LB's and DB's making him a huge seam threat. He's an excellent route runner, changes direction well, and has a nice burst out of his breaks with an enormous catch radius. He's great on contested catches, he's a great leaper and highpoints the ball really well which makes him an ideal red-zone weapon. He has soft hands and catches the ball really well, better than many receivers. This is the type of weapon we need for Tua. I like Gesicki but Pitts is on another level. He catches the ball more consistently than Gesicki does, Gesicki makes some difficult catches but also drops some easy ones. Pitts doesn't drop the ball.
Imagine lining them up in a dual TE formation. Who's gonna stop them?

To suggest the Dolphins would even consider taking a QB at #3 is pretty ridiculous to me.

Trade the pick? Sure. If there are absolutely no takers (and believe me, there will be) you take one of the three elite receiver prospects or Pitts. And you know you got a game breaker for the guy you already have, who is better than any of these other dudes coming out this year. Including Lawrence.
You like the guy, and if no trade down, you take him. So what if you think he will be available at 7....you take him at 3.
As long as the player produce, who care.

To suggest the Dolphins would even consider taking at QB at #3 is pretty ridiculous to me.

They wont... Im not for taking a QB with that pick, but I also realize that the #3 contract pays alot of money for any position not QB from the get go... Its just more difficult to get value from that pick(on average) if you're not grabbing a QB there.

Considering the Fins already have a QB on rookie contract, its a mistake Im willing to live with provided they dont **** it up and grab a LB there(or LT).

If there is a sure thing at QB I go QB. You can always recoup picks for Tua. I would not gamble on Wilson or Lance. I would gamble on Fields or Lawrence. If Fields and Lawrence are gone I’m taking Sewell.

Back
Top Bottom