Tony Wise criticism... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tony Wise criticism...

grooves12

Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
Has anyone stopped to think that maybe our offensive line problem, are not a problem with our personnel, but perhaps a problem with our O-line coach??

It just seems to me that, Our blocking schemes are way too vanilla, and something is not happening in the motivation department, because EVERYONE along the line has taken a step back in production from where they were before Wise came onboard. Wade looked worse than he did as a rookie... Dixon has looked the worst of his career... Ruddy went from the pro-bowl to being a consideration for the cut-lists... Perry went from the top free-agent offensive lineman to a guy that was being blasted week-in-week-out for his performance on the field... and... well our Left Tackles have all been scrubs, but who knows what they could do if we had a better O-line coach.

Im still not convinced firing Boudreau was a very good idea... our O-line has gone nowhere but downhill since he left, and he did a pretty good job with Carolina's O-line last year.

Seriously though... if we don't see a HUGE improvement from the offensive line this year, Wise NEEDS to go!!! Enough of hiring friends for the job, find someone who can get the job done!

Amen brother. Although Wise seemed to do a pretty decent job with Dallas huh?

I never understood that firing to be honest, and I still don't. I think the reason why Wise was hired is because he is friends with Wannstedt.

grooves12............

Originally posted by grooves12
Has anyone stopped to think that maybe our offensive line problem, are not a problem with our personnel, but perhaps a problem with our O-line coach??

It just seems to me that, Our blocking schemes are way too vanilla, and something is not happening in the motivation department, because EVERYONE along the line has taken a step back in production from where they were before Wise came onboard. Wade looked worse than he did as a rookie... Dixon has looked the worst of his career... Ruddy went from the pro-bowl to being a consideration for the cut-lists... Perry went from the top free-agent offensive lineman to a guy that was being blasted week-in-week-out for his performance on the field... and... well our Left Tackles have all been scrubs, but who knows what they could do if we had a better O-line coach.

Im still not convinced firing Boudreau was a very good idea... our O-line has gone nowhere but downhill since he left, and he did a pretty good job with Carolina's O-line last year.

Seriously though... if we don't see a HUGE improvement from the offensive line this year, Wise NEEDS to go!!! Enough of hiring friends for the job, find someone who can get the job done!

I agree with you on that 100% grooves. My only gripe with Wanny thus far in his tenure as our head coach is that he's hired "friends" as far as asst coaches are concerned. Wanny just needs to hire the best asst coach available for the job, instead of looking out for his "friends" in the coaching ranks.:fire:

i'll have to disagree on this one, I was NEVER impressed with Bodreau, and couldn't wait for him to be shown the door. Did he get hired somewhere else? Would be interesting to see the production on the new team.

Well, I will give him the benifit of the doubt on the Westhoff firing/Armstrong hiring, because Armstrong has done a superb job in my opinion, and if the rumors of insubordination by Westhoff were tru than he deserved to go. But, the Wise hiring and the releasing of Boudreau makes no sense to me. ESPECIALLY after seeing the results of Wise, and hearing complaints by the lineman that the schemes he is trying to force on them don't work. If he can't get the lineman to bu into his philossphy, than he hasn't done his job. In my opinion... if Ricky's production falls from last year, it can't be anyone's fault but the O-line and more importantly their coach. Because all of our personnel have hadd success in their career elsewhere... but it seems as soon as Wise gets a hold of them, they have the worst time o their career... that is not a very good endorsement of him as acoach.

Originally posted by burghPhinFan
i'll have to disagree on this one, I was NEVER impressed with Bodreau, and couldn't wait for him to be shown the door. Did he get hired somewhere else? Would be interesting to see the production on the new team.

He went to Carolina...

Although, the Panthers ranked towards the bottom of the league in rushing yards (due in large part to having to play from behind) They averaged 3.9 Yards per carry versus our 3.5. Richard Huntley was their main back and he averaged 4.0 yards per carry. Lamar's yards per carry?? A PITIFUL 3.1!!!

As far as sacks... Carolina allowed only 31 sacks which puts them in the upper half of the league. We allowed only 27, but in my opinion our pass protection was FAR over-rated last year. If Fiedler wasn't the scrambling quarterback that he is... he would have been a sitting duck. But, we avoided a lot of our deficiencies in pass protection last year by rolling Fiedler out of the pocket. Again, consider that the Panthers were constantly playing from behind thanks to their defense, and those low sack numbers are quite impressive. So, at worst I would say our pass protection was equal to the Panthers.

i tend to agree there grooves...almost the same talent, different coach, huge drop in production?
hopefully he does better this year.

no i think your reading entirely too much into tony wise. i think he is doing a great job. our problem is injuries, but even when we had injuries, he had guys who did well, not great but well under the circumstances. when we have problems, everyone wants to blame someone. plus right now we are trying to find who the best five are. but we did very well last nght with pass blocking with 8 and 9 guys at the line. keep in mind. we were a bit vanilla and we practiced these guys for three days. keep it real could we now?

Nope!

Chris Mortensen has said in his opinion a good O-line coach is worth more than any lineman.

He usually knows his stuff so I'll take his word for it.

Jits lost a great O-line coach so it'll be interesting to see how they do.

Originally posted by Phinstd

Jits lost a great O-line coach so it'll be interesting to see how they do.

I'll say this much,,the jits OL did pretty good against a strong DL of the Steelers..Vinny had penlty of time to throw and they ran the ball pretty well..Didn't notice a difference in them playing.

I am having some definite doubts about Wise being an effective line coach. Last year I was very unimpressed with the blocking techniques of the line. Last night's performance did not show me many positive things either.
Considering the Carolina stats of a 3.9 yards per carry without any quality backs and 31 sacks against a stiff inexperienced quarterback, that is effective blocking. It looks like Boudreau is a good coach, and it looks like the team blundered by dumping him.

How many superbowls has Chris Mortenson been involved in as an offensive line coach or player??

You guys need to calm down. Wise is an excellent coach. He has done as good as a job as possible considering the injuries we were hit with last year!

Hello!! Has anyone forgotten how many offensive linemen were out for the season and injured last year??

What is Wise suppose to do about that? Suit up himself??

Dave did right by picking up Wise because he is someone that is proven and most importantly someone who he has a great relationship with.

There's other factors to think about here though. Remember that the two most important coaches in an offense by far are the offensive coordinator, and the offensive line coach. But the two have to work together well to make a running game.

In 1999, our offensive line was arguably the worst run blocking OL in the league. That was Paul Boudreau. Along comes Chan Gailey in 2000, and their philosophies work well with each other, and all the sudden we have one of the best OLs in the league from a personnel standpoint (I believe 2 of our guys made the pro bowl, one of them an honorable mention). Out goes Paul Boudreau and in comes Tony Wise, and all the sudden our OL is back to one of the worst in the league run blocking. Out goes Chan Gailey and in comes Norv Turner and...well we'll see what happens.

BUT it seemed like Wise and Norv worked together pretty darn well in Dallas didn't they. If the OL sucks again this year and Ricky can't get above 1200 yards then Tony Wise will have to go. He's got a different style from Boudreau but isn't necessarily worst. Remember Boudreau was the guy that recommended Heath Irwin to the coaches.

Back
Top Bottom