Too many passes to Jarvis Landry? His yards per catch is really low.. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Too many passes to Jarvis Landry? His yards per catch is really low..

normaldude

Starter
Reaction score
Looking at our top 4 WRs (by yards), we have..

- Jarvis Landry: 89 catches, 10.3 yds per catch

- Rishard Matthews: 43 catches, 15.4 yds per catch

- Kenny Stills: 22 catches, 17.8 yds per catch

- DeVante Parker: 13 catches, 16.0 yds per catch

As you can see, Jarvis Landry has a very low 10.3 yds per catch.

Then looking at the NFL's top 32 receivers (by yards), and you'll see that Jarvis Landry's 10.3 yds per catch is the absolute lowest. Dead last.

Something curious: the other NFL team that has their leading WR with a similar low yds per catch average is Philadelphia (Jordan Matthews, 10.6 yds per catch). And we run a similar offense to Philadelphia (Chip Kelly, Bill Lazor offensive scheme).

Jarvis Landry is a great slot receiver. But maybe we throw the ball to him too much, which is limiting the offense.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/miamidolphins/statistics?team=MIA

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categoryst...3-s=RECEIVING_YARDS&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-n=1

the infamous bubble screen for 2 yards, the centerpiece of the offense

The bubble screen plus throw in the fact that defenses key on Landry, so he gets extra attention.

He's a playmaker but he's also a possession receiver. Don't ever expect a high YPC average out of a possession receiver unless he's a top tier elite guy. Even Welker, arguable the best possession guy in the league in his time, during his best year averaged only 12ypc. Most of his years were around that 9-10-11 average

Last edited by a moderator:
Matthews has been injured for the past 4 weeks. Had he been there, prolly add 25 passes.
Stills is enigmatic too me. Ability plus, but disappears.
Parker has missed 90% of the year. Plus he is a rookie.

I have no issue with Landry being the centre point of our receiving team.

No doubt Landry would have 15 ypc on another team with nfl caliber coaching. Sinful that he is used the way he is.

If we were not in 3rd and forever so often that would equate to 89 first downs.

if you can't come to the conclusion that it's a product of the offensive scheme and emphasis then I don't know what to tell you

OP, it's no coincidence jordan matthews is one with a similar ypc.

At LSU, Landry had a similar year of about 10 ypc, but his most productive year, and the year that got him on the draft boards big time was his last year where he had a 15.5 ypc with 10 touchdowns

i think he can be closer to 13-15 ypc....

On a side note, we all know we have too many holes to fill this offseason. Many of us would love to re-sign Rishard but we can't keep pouring money into WR when other positions are bleeding and dying.

That said, we need to sacrifice Rishard and learn from it immediately. Because we have another player on the roster that could share the same fate if we don't appreciate what we have in him and feed him more opportunities.

Kenny Stills is a VERY overlooked key ingredient in our passing game moving forward. It is very rare that you have this many YOUNG, promising and proven WRs together at the same time that do not require a vet moving forward.

Landry and Parker will be studs for a hopeful very long time. But Kenny Stills is JUST as valuable in the whole equation. The role in which he excels and the success rate of finding it in the NFL is rare. He is a young deep threat with a great catch radius and a rapport with our QB. That is a "lightning in the bottle" moment for an offense. Obviously, finding the right 53 pieces is in itself lightning in a bottle. But if we move forward with Parker, Landy and Stills for the foreseeable next 4 or 5 years.... we will have the Top 2 or 3 WR Cores in the NFL during that time.

Their talent is unmistakable, their roles are perfectly defined and complimentary and relative same age makes this trio a unique opportunity for us as a team. Rishard will have to walk, but Parker/Landry/Stills are something very special.

Landry's numbers will rise once we start using him as a forward catching WR.

I thought it was polarizing when looking at the comparisons with his best bud OBJ (who is obviously the better WR), but think about this... what if our bum QB got the football to him on that final throw? What would his YPC be after that would-be game tying TD?

I like Landry but we target him way too much. Sheesh he had 18 ish one game.

Use Miller more including more passes out of the backfield and increase other guys proportionately. Throw the ball down field.

Run it and go downfield more. I don't mind using the horizontal aspect, just less. And I do like Landry. Just decrease his touches proportionately. We need a kid like Parker to improve in 16. He needs more downfield touches. The combo of running and downfield passes is a better philosophy. It stresses the defense.

function of the o and when the timing is shot for whatever reason (essentially pressure) landry is who the qb trust the most and looks to first

there's a trust factor there with landry that thill has which no one else can match...and lets face it he works the hardest when it breaks down for his qb

Looks like Landry get about 20% of the offensive plays and produces 27% of our first downs. The seems pretty good for a possession receiver. He scores 17% of our TD's with those chances.

Miller is getting 27% of the offensive plays and produces 22% of our first downs. Starting running back usually get a higher percentage of plays than the 27 we are giving him. Miller has scored 30% of our TD's

Half the time its either Miller or Landry. I think defenses have figured it out.

They are going to kill Landry. Seems T-Hill is looking for him on every down.

Back
Top Bottom