too much money | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

too much money

cigar

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Top dollar

Dolphins defensive end Jason Taylor ($9.47 million) and kicker Olindo Mare ($2.32 million) were the NFL's highest-paid players at their respective positions in 2006. Zach Thomas ($7.29 million) ranked second among linebackers behind Baltimore's Ray Lewis ($8.43 million).

This is outrageous. Olindo Mare needs to take a significant pay cut, or get cut. Not even close to being an elite kicker anymore, let alone the best in the league. He is good at touchbacks, but much of that could be attributed to the soft balls he is kicking in the warmer weather. This is an extremely poor use of salary cap space.

Jason Taylor is the defensive player of the year, so he can have his money. I have a small issue with having a 34 year old ILB making that much money though. History has proven that aging veterans who get paid too much are bound to hurt you eventually. Thomas needs to take a few million off that #.

When you can actually name an alternative to mare I think everyone would be happy to listen, but all the cut Mare threads are getting old. Noone ever has a name. What do want to do draft Crosby with our second round pick?
I don't. Zach and Jason aren't just perennial pro bowlers, they're sure to be hall of famers; their checks are going to be huge.

Yeah JT and zach both deserve there money they been consistent over a long period of time and are our two best players. With the whole mare thing if we cut him how much cap hit we are going to take because it probally isnt worth cutting him if we have to pay most of his salary anyways and who knows he might regain his form this year and if we pay most of his salary then it isnt worth it. I still think he can be a very productive kicker.

I have a small issue with having a 34 year old ILB making that much money though. History has proven that aging veterans who get paid too much are bound to hurt you eventually. Thomas needs to take a few million off that #.

you take issue with a guy who consistently leads the league in tackles, is a perrenial pro-bowler, has been nothing but a class act since he came into the nfl, will retire a dolphin and have that phins jersey on WHEN he makes it into the hall of fame being paid:confused: he certainly isnt overpaid.

mare however......

That is the downfall of free agency. To keep good players on your team, you have to pay them, sometimes a bit more than their worth. Also, the way teams backload contracts to save cap room really makes it hard to keep players through the end of their contracts.

Its unfair that to not get cut, Zack will have to offer to just take less money than the team legally promised they would give him. He has never given less than 100 percent.

There needs to be a special rule that allows long time players to stay with their teams at the ends of their carrears without screwing the cap. That way you don't have the Junior Seau, Jerry Rice junk w/ them switching teams for a year or two.

Top dollar

Dolphins defensive end Jason Taylor ($9.47 million) and kicker Olindo Mare ($2.32 million) were the NFL's highest-paid players at their respective positions in 2006. Zach Thomas ($7.29 million) ranked second among linebackers behind Baltimore's Ray Lewis ($8.43 million).

This is outrageous. Olindo Mare needs to take a significant pay cut, or get cut. Not even close to being an elite kicker anymore, let alone the best in the league. He is good at touchbacks, but much of that could be attributed to the soft balls he is kicking in the warmer weather. This is an extremely poor use of salary cap space.

Jason Taylor is the defensive player of the year, so he can have his money. I have a small issue with having a 34 year old ILB making that much money though. History has proven that aging veterans who get paid too much are bound to hurt you eventually. Thomas needs to take a few million off that #.

Disagree with the Zach comment, the guy is totally reliable every season and always at the top of the league in tackles. Everytime people start talking that he is getting old (blah, blah, blah) I just look at his production and leadership in the team. When you start seeing a decline in that area then talk to me about reducing what he makes. Zach is a beast, he deserves everything he gets.

Top dollar

Will you take a paycut at work? I'm pretty sure your boss won't mind.

So wait

Thomas leads the league in tackles (or was second cant remember) is second highest paid LB. How is he overpaid? He is being paid to be the top player at his position and he is.

JT wins DPOY and he is overpaid?

Mare is overpaid I'll give you that one.

JT and Zach are both worth it, they are who sells the tickets, the jerseys and thats who people come to see, but i bet both of them will restructure as they have done in the past to free up cap room and get a winning team on the field. Mare will be willing to take a pay cut to stay here in Miami and prove to be the kicker we all loved 2 years ago as one of the elite.

When you can actually name an alternative to mare I think everyone would be happy to listen, but all the cut Mare threads are getting old. Noone ever has a name. What do want to do draft Crosby with our second round pick?
I don't. Zach and Jason aren't just perennial pro bowlers, they're sure to be hall of famers; their checks are going to be huge.

Name an alternative? Are you kidding me?
Hmm, let me think...........
How bout ANYONE OFF THE STREET.
Kickers are a dime a dozen. Sure we wont have the best kicker, but Mare has been playing as bad as Billy Cundiff. Id rather have some scrub and pay his salary to an every down player or FA. Naming an alternative is like saying,
"Where are we gonna find a replacement for Eddie Jackson? HELP!! Our secondary is in trouble if we cant find a guy that can play our 5th cornerback."
Take your pick; it doesn't really matter.

I knew Id get crap for saying ZT should take a pay cut. Its like I just broke the Dolphin Fan 1st Commandment.
But here's proof my dillusionites.
SD let Junior Seau go after he turned 34 and had 12 straight pro-bowls. That team was awful at the time and the front office in SD was hated for it. But look where it got them, and look where it got the Miami Dolphins who picked up the guy. The two teams went in opposite directions cus one was looking toward the future, and another was looking at the past. Ill let you figure out who was who. ZT is playing well and Im not advocating him being cut by any means. But at age 34, I think a 3 million dollar pay cut to around 4 million would be a necessary thing to do.

Name an alternative? Are you kidding me?
Hmm, let me think...........
How bout ANYONE OFF THE STREET.
Kickers are a dime a dozen. Sure we wont have the best kicker, but Mare has been playing as bad as Billy Cundiff. Id rather have some scrub and pay his salary to an every down player or FA. Naming an alternative is like saying,
"Where are we gonna find a replacement for Eddie Jackson? HELP!! Our secondary is in trouble if we cant find a guy that can play our 5th cornerback."
Take your pick; it doesn't really matter.

This is an idiotic post...Kickers are NOT a dime a dozen. Mare is still the 4th or 5th best kicker of all time (accuracy-wise). If you base your statement off of last year, yeah...he was overpaid for his value, but that is not the way the real world works. Most players get paid for their overall body of work, not just the last year or two...so who do you really suggest ?? Wes Welker ???

Top dollar

That's what restructuring every year after year will help do. All it does is push more $$$ into the future and sooner or later ya gotta pay up.

Top dollar

zach and jt always restructure..... after every season..... so keep you pants on

You want a name? TD. Let the freagin mascot kick field goals for christ sake.

We can't afford Mare and he didn't earn his paycheck. If you haven't noticed(Vanderjagt SP?) kickers are streaky bunch and Mare is in the midst of a downward spiral.

Hey man, he was great for a while. What else can you ask for? What more do you expect? Cut his contract or him. He will be remembered and he will be missed. So be it.

Back
Top Bottom