Top 10 AFC East QBs of all time | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Top 10 AFC East QBs of all time

When I made my list I was only judging years in the AFC east. I certainly didn't feel like 3 years of Unitas should make the list but I can understand the argument that 4 years of Manning might be reasonable. Especially given how week the bottom of the list is. Other than those two Colts quarterbacks, did they have anyone else who would rate?

Earl Morall is better than some on your list. And he was both a Colt and Dolphin.

wtf @ Pennington over Manning...

Chad had more years playing in the AFC East, won more div titles, badly outplayed Peyton in the Jets-Colts 2002 playoff game. If Peyton played longer in the division he'd easily be #3 behind Brady and marino.

Earl Morall is better than some on your list. And he was both a Colt and Dolphin.

The problem is he only played parts of 2 years in the AFC East. If he won his league MVP while playing in the AFC East he'd deserve to be on the list.

woodly and strock have no business on that list. Strock if u ranked backups

Hey all, long time lurker here. I’ve been wondering for a while what the power ranking for the top 10 AFC east QBs of all time would look like. So, I spent some time thinking about it, did some research at profootballreference.com and created my own list. Before revealing my list, some caveats. First super bowl wins count more, in general, than any other stat. Second, I tried to divorce myself from my Dolphin homerism. Third, I’ve only followed football since 95, so I don’t have a reference on some of the older QBs outside of their statistics. Finally, the bottom half of this list was damn hard to make. Here we go (apologies if someone else has made this thread before):

1. Tom Brady

Comment: God damnit

2. Dan Marino

Comment:The only exclusion to my super bowl rule.His pure statistics are so much superior than anyone else in the division that has won a super bowl (other than that ******* above) , that he deserves to be here.

3. Bob Griese

Comment:The first “before my time guy.”Truthfully, I felt he was a bit overrated, but 2 super bowls and an undefeated season are more than anyone else on this list can boast.

4. Jim Kelly

Comment:I know I’m violating my super bowl rule again, but 4 super bowl appearances and superior statistics have to be worth at least one super bowl win, right?

5. Joe Namath

Comment:probably the first premier quarterback of the AFC east and the first super bowl winner in the entire AFC.

6. Drew Bledsoe

Comment:I always felt he was overrated growing up, but he did lead the hapless Patriots ( it feels good saying that) to the super bowl in the 90s.

7. Earl Morrall

Comment:This is the first member of this list I expect to catch heat from.Yes, I realize he was mostly a career backup, however, in my opinion, he contributed more to the 72 undefeated season than did Griese.Add in another championship with the Colts before the joined the AFC east and he’s number 7.

8. Chad Pennington

Comment:Here is where the list gets officially difficult.There are other quarterbacks who have led their team to the super bowl, but none played in such a pass centric league like Pennington.So despite his lack of playoff hardware, I have to give him credit for taking several mediocre teams from two franchises to the playoffs.

9. Woodly/Strock

Comment: Were the placeholders between the Griese and Marino eras, led the Dolphins to a super bowl in a strike shortened season and assisted Marino in getting to his only super bowl appearance.I’m reaching for straws now…

10. Ken O’Brien

Comment:Maybe?Could also be Steve Grogan, or Tony Eason, or perhaps Bert Jones?I assume the Bills have had quarterbacks other than Kelly.Maybe some of them were decent?

So any thoughts?

Your missing some really good qb's

Joe Ferguson Buffalo
Bert Jones Balt

My top 10 would be .
Hmm hard to pick number one.
1- Tom Brady
2-Dan Marino
3-Jim Kelly
4-Bob Griese
5-Drew Bledsoe
6-Ken O Brien
7-Joe Namath
8-Bert Jones
9-Chad Pennington
10-Joe ferguson

I think Marino was best qb ever but u cant argue with the combo of what was done on field and taking a team to the championship.
Even numberswise Brady compares to Marino. Namath most overrated NFL qb ever. Kelly great NFL qb that suffers from no superbowl win in media but was among the best that ever played.
Did not count manning since he only played 4 years in afc east and he was not at his best level yet. In reality he would be number 5 on my list just based on those 4 years

Bert Jones is a good one I forgot about but Chad was better than O'Brien(and Ken was ione of my favorite players as a kid)

Back
Top Bottom