Top-10 deep passers of 2022, via NFL.com | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Top-10 deep passers of 2022, via NFL.com

BONG SHULA

Starter
Club Member
Reaction score
Guess where Tua ranks…

I’ll give ya a hint: it’s ahead of Hurts + Mahomes + Burrow + Allen.

So much for the ‘can’t throw deep’ narrative!

The first half of Tagovailoa's season sure was special. In Weeks 1-9, Tagovailoa completed 15-of-25 deep attempts for 480 yards, a 5:2 TD-to-INT ratio, a 110.4 passer rating, a 97 passing score and a CPOE of +14.7%. His EPA per deep-pass dropback was an eye-popping +1.27.

This is where you're expecting me to tell you everything fell apart, given the additional time Tagovailoa missed with concussion issues and Miami's reduced output over a 3-5 stretch to finish the season. But the QB's numbers don't quite fit that narrative: It turns out his performance didn't vary significantly when comparing the two halves of 2022. The biggest difference in his deep-passing stats the rest of the way ended up being in CPOE, in which Tagovailoa dropped by more than eight percentage points. Otherwise, he posted a perfect 5:0 TD-to-INT ratio from Week 10 on. In other words, he was good -- really good -- at throwing deep throughout the season, finishing as the only qualifying quarterback in the entire NFL with a deep passing EPA per dropback over 1.

If not for the spectacular year of the top QB on this list, Tagovailoa would have been No. 1. Second place isn't too bad, either.

https://www.nfl.com/news/next-gen-s...ers-of-2022-geno-smith-tua-tagovailoa-excel-a

Top 5?:
1. Tua
2. Tua
3. Tua
4. Tua
and
5. Tua

Because he spits hot fire.

Last edited:
Rumor is Tua has more zip on the ball this year thanks to his off-season work with Nick Hicks.

In general, people have underestimated two things about Tua’s throwing, 1) how much Tua’s hip injury affected his throwing the first two years and 2) how much hard work Tua puts in during the offseason.

He’ll better this year than he was last year.

Last edited:
I’m shocked Skylar Thompson and Teddy Bridgewater threw exactly *zero* TDs to Hill & Waddle last year.

Well, I don’t know what happened to Teddy. He completely forgot how to play Qb? He looked terrible and this is assume he wasn’t the most fragile player in the planet.

S. Thompson tried. Didn’t help he had some drops. He’s young and as long as he continues to grow his time will come. I pray that never happens this season.

Well, I don’t know what happened to Teddy. He completely forgot how to play Qb? He looked terrible and this is assume he wasn’t the most fragile player in the planet.

S. Thompson tried. Didn’t help he had some drops. He’s young and as long as he continues to grow his time will come. I pray that never happens this season.
Teddy looked like Cutler at the end. He just didn't want to get hit anymore.

Teddy looked like Cutler at the end. He just didn't want to get hit anymore.

I’ve watch a few of his games before Miami and he never looked that out of sorts. The guy looked like he was signed the day before.

Talk about a money grab! At least, Fischer, the tackle we signed got hurt like 2 days later after getting paid and never okay g a single down for us.

Plus, it didn't help that the o-line sucked. Tua's quick release made them look better than they really are, and when Armstead was out they were even worse! It's no wonder that Thompson's stats weren't very impressive.

I’m shocked they didn’t include a part about when you have “T.Hill and Waddle” and anyone could be with those guys.
It would be disingenuous to suggest Tyreek Hill and Jaylen Waddle don’t help to improve that statistic……

But The statistic I want to see and care about is a playoff win after 23 years of falling short……

Back
Top Bottom