Top 4 FAs to pick up? | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Top 4 FAs to pick up?

The front office during Free Agency will pick up these players (being aggressive). They make a ton of sense.

Left Tackle - Anthony Castonzo Age 32 (4 yr $48,000,000 deal)
Center/Guard - Joe Thuney Age 27 (4 yr $46,500,000 deal)
Right Guard - Brandon Scherff Age 27 (4 yr $49,700,000 deal)
PASS RUSHER - Leonard Williams Age 26 ( 4 yr $42,000,000 deal)

Anyone close to 30 shouldn't be a part of this "rebuild"...

Anyone whose team is going to franchise shouldn't be a part of this team.

Those two disqualifications would remove Costanzo and Scherff.

Leonard Williams has said he wants top dollar from the Gmen. I imagine that would be the case for us as well. Take a lap elsewhere big fella.

Unless Thuney can play RG...I want no part of him, especially at that price point with the Pat's willing to part with him.

That's a great point. Baltimore is making good teams look silly and Jackson is a huge reason why. I don't know how you defend someone like that.

Maybe Miami needs to find a multi-dimensional quarterback who can do some of what Jackson. Wilson and Mahomes can do.
The old way of defending QB's like Jackson and Mahomes was hitting them hard and often. By the 2nd half have them skiddish and worn down. Now that QB's can't be hit like that anymore, idk if you can defend them.

The old way of defending QB's like Jackson and Mahomes was hitting them hard and often. By the 2nd half have them skiddish and worn down. Now that QB's can't be hit like that anymore, idk if you can defend them.

Usually the first week of March. 7th, 8th, 9th kinda range.

When picking four free agents they should all be 27 or younger and compare the targets to the positional weaknesses in the draft (which are TE, G, LB, S).

RT - Jack Conklin (26)
LG - Joe Thuney (27)
ED - Dante Fowler (26)
FS - Justin Simmons (26)

LT - rookie 1st/2nd rounder
LG - Thuney
C - rookie 1st/2nd rounder, Deiter
RG - Davis
RT - Conklin

We also need to stay away from guys that have character issues; Marcus Peters, Eli Apple, Kareem Hunt (who I would love)... don't need them contaminating a young locker room.

That's a great point. Baltimore is making good teams look silly and Jackson is a huge reason why. I don't know how you defend someone like that.

Maybe Miami needs to find a multi-dimensional quarterback who can do some of what Jackson. Wilson and Mahomes can do.

a well balanced team with good game planning would address all those "offensive" challenges.

When you look at the teams right behind the Dolphins in cap space this off season, the Dolphins will likely have trouble signing top free agents. You have teams like the Bills, Colts, Cowboys, Seahawks, and Texans who all have plenty of cap space to go out and offer big contracts to the best free agents. All these teams already have much better rosters than the Dolphins and free agents looking to get paid and having a good chance of going to the playoffs immediately would be better off signing with one of these teams than the Dolphins.

After watching the Bills yesterday and seeing how much cap space they have and the talent already on their roster, it certainly appears that they are going to be the team to beat in the AFC East for the next several years. The Patriots will remain a factor as long as Belichick is their head coach, with or without Brady. The Dolphins look like a team which is at least 3 years away from being a legitimate playoff contender and that all depends on how well they select players in the next two drafts.

Since they have so many holes and so little talent, they should just use the next few years to build through the draft and try to save most of their cap money until they are able to show the better free agents on the market that they have enough good young talent on the roster to make a legitimate playoff run. At this point I just don’t see why any free agent who is looking to go to a winning team would want to play for the Dolphins. Even if they have the most cap space, I really don’t want the Dolphins to spend this money on players just looking for a big paycheck, instead of wanting to go to a team who has a legitimate chance of winning a SB.

I call non sense on:
1 - it's going to be hard to sign FAs.
2 - stay away from anyone close to 30

FAs will come. FAs will go to any team. Look at Cleveland and Detroit as proof.

We need vets on this team for leadership and stability. Good linemen play well into thier 30s. Grabbing 2 couple 28-30 year old OL is no setback to a rebuild.

I call non sense on:
1 - it's going to be hard to sign FAs.
2 - stay away from anyone close to 30

FAs will come. FAs will go to any team. Look at Cleveland and Detroit as proof.

We need vets on this team for leadership and stability. Good linemen play well into thier 30s. Grabbing 2 couple 28-30 year old OL is no setback to a rebuild.
I agree with point 1. I don't think the type of FAs we will be looking at will necessarily be the same as teams like Dallas, for example, are looking for.

Teams that feel they are only a "player or two away" look for a specific postion, and are more willing to pay/overpay to get those final pieces. The phins, on the other hand are in more of a position to take value wherever that may be, and fill vacancies after free agency, with the draft.

As to point 2, I don't really have a hard line at 30 yrs old, but. older players, linemen in particular, do have a higher propensity for injury, and that shouldn't be dismissed.

If they are value/insurance/bridge type players, on short term deals, thats one thing, but I don't want 30+ year old players, getting top $, on 4 year deals.

Back
Top Bottom