Top 4 Fins Hc ? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Top 4 Fins Hc ?

1) Shula
2) Flores
3) Whoever
4) Who cares

You are probably right. I just didn’t see Wilson so I put him last because of lack of first hand knowledge. But that is good info royal!
Some interesting info in here about Wilson - he helped Shula get a coaching gig w Detroit in 1960 and then later Shula would replace Wilson as HC of Miami. He also drafted a lot of the nucleus of those great early 70’s teams - though who knows if it was him or the GM or both. Very respectable record w us until his last season and he was a winner as HC of Detroit. Can’t believe Lions haven’t won anything since. He’s probably considered the greatest coach in Lions history LOL!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Wilson_(American_football_coach)

Some interesting info in here about Wilson - he helped Shula get a coaching gig w Detroit in 1960 and then later Shula would replace Wilson as HC of Miami. He also drafted a lot of the nucleus of those great early 70’s teams - though who knows if it was him or the GM or both. Very respectable record w us until his last season and he was a winner as HC of Detroit. Can’t believe Lions haven’t won anything since. He’s probably considered the greatest coach in Lions history LOL!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Wilson_(American_football_coach)

Wilson was over the hill by the time he got to Miami. I remember his son was our QB and punter as well if you can believe that.
My favorite player then was FB Cookie Gilchrist who showed up in a fur coat driving a pink Cadillac. Good times . Flipper was the main attraction back then.

Wilson was over the hill by the time he got to Miami. I remember his son was our QB and punter as well if you can believe that.
I think you are right in terms of not having the same fire in the belly he had in Detroit. He did hit in the draft and trade for some great players. That Shula went 11-3 in his first year or whatever it was kinda says Wilson wasn’t coaching w the same tenacity he did in Detroit. Kind of like JJ after Dallas sort of.

Who played the coach in Ace Ventura? Hes my vote for 2nd place.
Ok, this is seriously funny on 2 levels. Firstly, it sums up how many of us feel - well done. 2ndly, Don Shula HIMSELF played the coach in Ace Ventura! He even showed good acting chops when he goes to mail a letter and Jim Carey is inside the mailbox and startles him. Hahahaha - even Hollywood couldn’t find a worthy coach to play him so they cast him instead. Gold.

Wahoo McDaniel was the guy I liked the most. I knew him from professional wrestle which I followed as a kid. I heard he bit a guys finger off in a pile up . :lol:

Toward the end they showed the retaliation for a hit on Howard Twilly. They throw the ball to Fred Williamson and the whole team mugged him

Yea I thought Jimmy was the answer after Shula and he did do some good things especially on the defensive side but seemed to lose interest toward the end.
Really glad he found happiness living in the Keys and fishing when he wasn't on TV
Always respect him for the job he did will the Canes and Dallas. but in the end he wasn't the guy for the Fins.
Absolutely, he was a tremendous coach with the Hurricanes and Cowboys, no doubt. But as a Dolphins coach his entire modus operandi was to build a physically dominant power team that ran the football, and we never were that team. He never had an OL of Erik Williams, Nate Newton and Larry Allen leading the way for HoF RB Emmit Smith like he did with the dominant Dallas Cowboys. So, we never had an unstoppable running game. In fact, our run game was poor. He forced it and it failed, leaving Dan Marino behind on down and distance far too often, and requiring Dan to play from behind a lot. The formula worked, but it depended upon superior personnel along the OL, and we simply didn't have it, thus he was mediocre as a Dolphins coach.

As a Hurricane coach he was fantastic, he was a great motivator, a great teacher, and a great recruiter, so he got the most out of his talent and he could attract better talent. As a Cowboys coach he tanked and mortgaged all of his assets in the Herschel Walker trade to stockpile draft picks, and his astute eye for talent allowed him to stock the roster with dominant players like Emmitt, the aforementioned OL, Troy, Michael and a good defense as well. Unquestionably, JJ was an excellent coach … just wasn't an excellent Dolphins coach.

Wahoo McDaniel was the guy I liked the most. I knew him from professional wrestle which I followed as a kid. I heard he bit a guys finger off in a pile up . :lol:

Toward the end they showed the retaliation for a hit on Howard Twilly. They throw the ball to Fred Williamson and the whole team mugged him

Great find! I remember reading about Wahoo drinking motor oil. Lol.

Back
Top Bottom