Top Draft Busts | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Top Draft Busts

Awsi Dooger said:
But since you asked, I want Caddy.

Damn, so do I.

Awsi Dooger said:
I just looked it up, the '89 draft. The RB I didn't want was Tim Worley of Georgia.

Good recovery :lol:

ChambersWI said:
I was talking about how the Bears traded a 1st for him and at the time they were being coached by Wanny and his sidekick Spielman.

Yeah, I got that. By the time Wannstedt made the deal it was pretty obvious that Mirer was a bust. I cant imagine what made him think Rick was worth another 1st round pick. Then again, this is the same guy that drafted Eddie Moore in the 2nd when Moore was rated a 5th round pick at best.

I think Yatil Green might need a spot there, even though injuries were a major part of his "bust".

#13 said:
I think Yatil Green might need a spot there, even though injuries were a major part of his "bust".

Yatil Green is no where near as big of a bust as those guys are. If any other Fin should go on that list its Billy Milner

:lol:
ChambersWI said:
sound familiar? Who was running and coaching the Bears back then? :shakeno:

And we not only give him a shot, but we give him a contract extension after taking the fins from their annual second round playoff loss to the first round to no playoffs.

ChambersWI said:
Yatil Green is no where near as big of a bust as those guys are. If any other Fin should go on that list its Billy Milner

I agree. Injuries are disappointing and so was Green because of his, but he showed flashes of being good until he dwindled with the knee. To me, he was a disappointment, but not a bust. I was more disappointed for Green (and Marino) than I was disappoointed in him. I think a bust is more someone you hate because of a lack of effort or ability to play with the big boys.

Although with Boz, it was injuries, but I think he and his attitude were part of the reason he had such hype, so he deserves to be called a bust just for being a mouth. Now had his mouth been injured...hmmmmm...different story.

merlin00069 said:
I dont agree. Simply because the OL isnt as big as other positions on the field. Since the topic is biggest bust you have to go with someone that had the "potential" to be one of the greatest and was hyped beyond anything(Mandarich does fall int hat category)...you have to go Ryan Leaf. People were saying he would be better than Manning...etcc etcc i know weve all heard it. Leaf is for sure #1....Mandarich is tied for second ill say with perhaps guys like Tim Couch and Rick Mirer. Good post though

I definitely see your argument. And I agree. However, when a guy is tabbed by many to be the best o-lineman prospect EVER, and then has the career Mandarich had, that constitutes biggest bust in history in my opinion.

Remember, they weren't saying Leaf would be the best QB ever. They did say Mandarich would be the best tackle ever.

What's seldom mentioned or emphasized is the Dolphins' biggest string of top pick busts came during the glory years of the early '70s. Those were the first drafts I remember when I was in elementary school and junior high in Miami. The draft was held in late January or early February and went on for 17 rounds. Every year there was great anticipation, then we would end up with one high pick stiff after another. I've never really understood that looking back, because I think Bobby Beathard and George Young were with the organization.

Shula's '70 draft was great. But the top selections the next 5 years were Otto Stowe, Mike Kadish, Chuck Bradley, Donald Reese and Daryl Carlton. Talk about busts. Stowe, a WR, was the only one who contributed even a little bit. The rest were all linemen. A couple of those picks were 2nd rounders, but our first pick nonetheless. I remember every year Rick Weaver and the rest of the radio crew on WIOD would try to hype the progress the top rookie was making, then early the following year we had already given up on them. Reese and Carlton, in particular, were prototype lazy and didn't fit with the smart, team-oriented concept Shula had forged in Miami.

Wow. QBs' lead the pack in top busts...followed closely by RBs. Makes me wonder......:hmmm:

fint0xicated said:
Wow. QBs' lead the pack in top busts...followed closely by RBs. Makes me wonder......:hmmm:

that's because those are the 2 positions everybody pays attention to.

How bout Jimmy Johnson as a Fins coach bust? He predicted a super bowl in 3 years, never got beyond second round blowouts, and also brought in Wannestedt.:mad:

Plus, he had really stupid hair.

dolphan north said:
How bout Jimmy Johnson as a Fins coach bust? He predicted a super bowl in 3 years, never got beyond second round blowouts, and also brought in Wannestedt.

Plus, he had really stupid hair.

However, our defense would not have been what it was the last several years if not for Jimmy Johnson.

ChambersWI said:
that's because those are the 2 positions everybody pays attention to.

Then how 'bout we pay attention to something else in the first round? :D

Back
Top Bottom