Top Nfl Wrs On Passes Thrown At Or Behind The Line Of Scrimmage | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Top Nfl Wrs On Passes Thrown At Or Behind The Line Of Scrimmage

Albert Wilson is excellent as the screen receiver. Jarvis Landry was excellent as the screen receiver. Albert Wilson blocks his *** off when other guys are the screen receiver. Jarvis Landry (generally) blocked his *** off when asked to do the same. A lot of similarities there.

But here's the difference between the two: Albert Wilson has SPEED, and can run DEEP. Jarvis Landry does NOT, and can NOT.

Why does that matter?

The lack of deep speed meant that you could not sub Kenny Stills off the field, because he was the only true speed WR that the team had that they felt they could rely on. They did not start to gain more confidence in Jakeem Grant until much later in the year.

So we were STUCK with Kenny Stills on the field. Why? Screens are often called by the QB at the line of scrimmage based on a perceived alignment weakness. It's easy to audible into a screen. But that means you don't march your "screen personnel" out onto the field in order to execute a screen. If the defense knows it's coming, it's not hard to snuff out. So whatever personnel you have out there for the screen call has to be the personnel you run a lot of other stuff with.

Just speaking in broad strokes, with Jarvis Landry lacking speed, DeVante Parker not having the same level of speed or pure running ability as Kenny Stills, there had to be some fear about putting out personnel groupings that didn't include Kenny. And if you don't have Kenny-less personnel out there a whole lot, then you're not going to end up running a lot of Kenny-less screens.

That changes with Albert Wilson. He can be out there for screen passes. He can be out there to block for others running screen passes. He can be out there to run deep routes. So you can take Kenny Stills off the field. You don't have to live with Kenny's terrible blocking.

How good is Amendola when blocking? Do you see Gase using Drake and Gore as WRs in those screens?

How good is Amendola when blocking? Do you see Gase using Drake and Gore as WRs in those screens?

Amendola also blocks his ass off.

Bill Belichick absolutely demands it of a guy like Amendola who plays on the inside. I've talked to O.J. McDuffie about this. It's a must for an inside guy.

Mind you, both Wilson and Amendola are small. But they block their asses off.

When 2 of the top 5 players in this particular category come from the same team maybe it has more to do with coaching/scheme/play calling no? Andy Reid may not be a great overall coach but he is probably one of the 3 best offensive minds currently in football.

Maybe you put Landry on the Chiefs and Wilson on the phins and all of a sudden Landry looks as good or better than Wilson as far as yards per target behind the LOS. Maybe Landry's overall yards per target is drastically different had he been drafted by the Chiefs.

Albert Wilson is excellent as the screen receiver. Jarvis Landry was excellent as the screen receiver. Albert Wilson blocks his *** off when other guys are the screen receiver. Jarvis Landry (generally) blocked his *** off when asked to do the same. A lot of similarities there.

But here's the difference between the two: Albert Wilson has SPEED, and can run DEEP. Jarvis Landry does NOT, and can NOT.

Why does that matter?

The lack of deep speed meant that you could not sub Kenny Stills off the field, because he was the only true speed WR that the team had that they felt they could rely on. They did not start to gain more confidence in Jakeem Grant until much later in the year.

So we were STUCK with Kenny Stills on the field. Why? Screens are often called by the QB at the line of scrimmage based on a perceived alignment weakness. It's easy to audible into a screen. But that means you don't march your "screen personnel" out onto the field in order to execute a screen. If the defense knows it's coming, it's not hard to snuff out. So whatever personnel you have out there for the screen call has to be the personnel you run a lot of other stuff with.

Just speaking in broad strokes, with Jarvis Landry lacking speed, DeVante Parker not having the same level of speed or pure running ability as Kenny Stills, there had to be some fear about putting out personnel groupings that didn't include Kenny. And if you don't have Kenny-less personnel out there a whole lot, then you're not going to end up running a lot of Kenny-less screens.

That changes with Albert Wilson. He can be out there for screen passes. He can be out there to block for others running screen passes. He can be out there to run deep routes. So you can take Kenny Stills off the field. You don't have to live with Kenny's terrible blocking.

If we want to be a good offense, I doubt speed will make any difference unless we're actually effective at longer passing, like KC were last year. What a year Alex Smith had.

I'm sure we will see a lot of screen passes. I expect there will be enough other routes opened up by those screen passes to make us a bit less dependent on them.

I think we'll see at least one play a game where Grant will be sent deep. Because of his speed, it will take less time for the play to develop and if he isn't open, then probably our tight end will be. We would use our wide receivers on slightly deeper routes downfield and keep a RB near the QB for an escape valve. This would give Tannehill a series of prime targets available at different times as the play develops. Grant is going to cause defenses a lot of problems, especially if we occasionally use him as a running back.

I think we are going to enjoy watching our offence this year. I'm already starting to smile.

This is starting to remind me of previous regimes who can't get out of their own tendencies to take advantage of underutilized talent.

"We need to get Grant more involved...."

Screen pass, screen pass, screen pass, lose game......

"We had some opportunities and we definitely should get Grant more involved..."

Screen pass, screen pass, screen pass, lose game.

"He adds a different dynamic to our offense....."

Screen pass, screen pass, screen pass, lose game...

"We need to get Grant more opportunities..."

Finish 8-8.....

"We need to get Grant more involved in the offense...."

Let screen pass recipient walk. Sign new screen pass recipient.

"Grant offers us something unique at WR."

Training camp.

"Grant is looking good in our offense."

Preseason.

"We are trying to get Grant involved in the offense more...."

Season.

"We want to get Grant more touches...."

Screen pass, screen pass, screen pass.

Anyone know where this is headed?

This is starting to remind me of previous regimes who can't get out of their own tendencies to take advantage of underutilized talent.

Finish 8-8.....

Training camp.

Preseason.

Season.

A number of us, last year, complained about Gase's seeming addiction to screen passes. Worse, screen passes with Stills as a blocker. That will be one of my tests for Gase this year. If he reverts to the screen addiction, I'll have serious questions of him as OC.

Simmer down teapots...Wilson couldn’t play ahead of Chris Conley. He’s averaged 35 catches the past 3 years. He’s behind Stills, Parker and likely Amendola in Miami. I love the possibility of Miami’s offense putting up points like KC did last year and a 10-6 record. The biggest unknown IMHO is KC’s o-line vs Fin’s o line. KC’s was a playoff caliber line while Miami’s was not even close. They were a top 15 line and that’s after circumstances got to them. They started out with a great first month, then injuries started to hit and inconsistent play throughout the year. They had great games but some bad ones too.

Defense is another thing. Again, KC right there in terms of a playoff caliber defense while Miami was near last.

I just don’t see enough net positive, if any, change over from year to year to mirror a KC like 2017 season.

Finish 8-8.....

Training camp.

Preseason.

Season.

This logic makes me dizzy.

A number of us, last year, complained about Gase's seeming addiction to screen passes. Worse, screen passes with Stills as a blocker. That will be one of my tests for Gase this year. If he reverts to the screen addiction, I'll have serious questions of him as OC.

You're going to have some serious questions about him as an OC then.

He didn't build the unit the way he did this off season so that he could LAY OFF the screen passes. He built the unit the way he did so that they can finally be successful on screens.

They're paying Albert Wilson about the same amount they're paying Kenny Stills, and Wilson has the same sort of deep speed and deep threat ability as Stills. They will have every reason to rotate the two, make them compete. If Kenny wants to stay on the field as much as he was in 2017 then he will have to block a whole lot better. If not they put Wilson on the field because he can do the same things deep, PLUS be a good screen blocker, PLUS be a good screen ball carrier.

That also applies to Jakeem Grant, who can also do much of what kept Kenny on the field for 96% of all of Miami's pass plays, and now the coaches have more confidence in him because of the way he finished the year (not to mention all the plays he made in mini camps and OTAs).

I mean, you said it. Screen passes with Kenny Stills as a blocker were ridiculous because Stills couldn't block his way out of a paper bag. Or maybe I should say, "wouldn't". It's about will and want-to. I noticed that when they called those screens late in the 4th quarter while they're trying to come back, suddenly Kenny Stills would find his blocking ability. It was ridiculous.

They're trying to change that, and they're not doing it so that Adam Gase can suddenly tear all the screen plays out of the playbook.

You're going to have some serious questions about him as an OC then.

He didn't build the unit the way he did this off season so that he could LAY OFF the screen passes. He built the unit the way he did so that they can finally be successful on screens.

They're paying Albert Wilson about the same amount they're paying Kenny Stills, and Wilson has the same sort of deep speed and deep threat ability as Stills. They will have every reason to rotate the two, make them compete. If Kenny wants to stay on the field as much as he was in 2017 then he will have to block a whole lot better. If not they put Wilson on the field because he can do the same things deep, PLUS be a good screen blocker, PLUS be a good screen ball carrier.

That also applies to Jakeem Grant, who can also do much of what kept Kenny on the field for 96% of all of Miami's pass plays, and now the coaches have more confidence in him because of the way he finished the year (not to mention all the plays he made in mini camps and OTAs).

I mean, you said it. Screen passes with Kenny Stills as a blocker were ridiculous because Stills couldn't block his way out of a paper bag. Or maybe I should say, "wouldn't". It's about will and want-to. I noticed that when they called those screens late in the 4th quarter while they're trying to come back, suddenly Kenny Stills would find his blocking ability. It was ridiculous.

They're trying to change that, and they're not doing it so that Adam Gase can suddenly tear all the screen plays out of the playbook.

I hope we disagree only by degree. A couple of points. There were times early in the season I could call a screen play 2 of 3 times, and I'm sure others could as well. And I know little about playcalling. Secondly, I don't want to do away with screens. They can be quite effective. But 3rd and 12? And, yes, there was at least one. OK, three points. I wasn't infrequent the D was running to the screen on the snap. That, to me, is an indication of overuse, or, at a minimum, using the same alignment too often. Someone has alluded to Pouncey giving screens away. I can't confirm/refute that and that may be the reason. And, to be fair, the screen seemed to be used less late in the season. Yeah, keep the bubbles, but change the frequency, blockers, alignment, SOMETHING, to make them effective.

If we want to be a good offense, I doubt speed will make any difference unless we're actually effective at longer passing, like KC were last year. What a year Alex Smith had.
Speed makes a difference in all aspects of the game.

Defensive players can't predict whether a pass is going to be accurate deep or not. They get less scared if the QB doesn't have a very good arm. They get less scared if the WR isn't very fast. If they're facing fast WRs and a QB with a good arm, regardless of these ridiculous fan narratives that get passed around in the local newspapers, the defensive players are going to give cushion. The defensive coordinators could decide to play super aggressively based on a theory that they won't get burned for it...but they're going to have to answer some tough questions when/if they do get burned for it.

Yeah, I didn't mean to disagree that the screen game could well be more effective, but my point is the screen game is not going to be enough to win games if we can't pass well on intermediate routes.

Th
Amendola also blocks his *** off.

Bill Belichick absolutely demands it of a guy like Amendola who plays on the inside. I've talked to O.J. McDuffie about this. It's a must for an inside guy.

Mind you, both Wilson and Amendola are small. But they block their asses off.

Thanks a lot for the info. Is always a pleasure to hear all the things you know about the team. Thanks bro!

Back
Top Bottom