Top turnarounds in NFL history | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Top turnarounds in NFL history

LOL...Fitz is not even 1/2 as good as Tannehill
He elevates in spurts then totally sucks and looks horrible
i have a hard time with many here slamming good players that were here like Ryan T & Drake when they produced numbers and somehow are enamored with Ryan stinking Fitzpatrick

Rudolph looked God awful at the beginning of the game
I heard him described here as garbage
They stayed with him and he improved....would be nice to see the worst or second worst team in league do the same with a 1st RD talent

But no Flores has too much intensity for that....right

I honestly have no idea what your point is in this post.

Interesting..What was the catalyst(besides Brady being down) with the turn around with the Dolphings in 2007-2008? I'll give everyone a hint..it's a QB

Though I agree with you that getting a quality QB helped, Penny was losing games left and right, until the wildcat, and a huge power running game, along with successful defense took shape.

Though I agree with you that getting a quality QB helped, Penny was losing games left and right, until the wildcat, and a huge power running game, along with successful defense took shape.

It certainly wasn’t just one thing like you said. But Penny was smart with the ball he wasn’t turning it over(See Fitzpatrick). He usually made smart decisions with the ball.

A staple to winning games consistently in this league. The T/O ratio and game outcomes is a really thing. Especially for teams that aren’t the best at over coming them.
Heck, I don’t think anyone here would disagree had we not turn over the ball(several times) Ots unlikely that Randolph and the Steelers would have generated enough to win that game.

It certainly wasn’t just one thing like you said. But Penny was smart with the ball he wasn’t turning it over(See Fitzpatrick). He usually made smart decisions with the ball.

A staple to winning games consistently in this league. The T/O ratio and game outcomes is a really thing. Especially for teams that aren’t the best at over coming them.
Heck, I don’t think anyone here would disagree had we not turn over the ball(several times) Ots unlikely that Randolph and the Steelers would have generated enough to win that game.

Yea that ball the Steelers picked off 53 yards downfield inside the 5 yard line on 3rd down really changed the momentum. Lol. The Steelers were only down by 4 points at halftime even though they were -2 in turnovers and were receiving the kickoff. Lol at you blaming Fitz.

Interesting..What was the catalyst(besides Brady being down) with the turn around with the Dolphings in 2007-2008? I'll give everyone a hint..it's a QB

I disagree to some extent. The team looked like crap the first two games with Pennington, UNTIL they unleashed the wildcat. The wildcat was a desperation move. I remember reading an article that an assistant threw the idea at Sparano on the plane ride home after a loss.

Yea that ball the Steelers picked off 53 yards downfield inside the 5 yard line on 3rd down really changed the momentum. Lol. The Steelers were only down by 4 points at halftime even though they were -2 in turnovers and were receiving the kickoff. Lol at you blaming Fitz.

the score was 14-3? The hell are you talking about?

2011 Indianapolis Colts (suck for Luck), went 2-11, then drafted Andrew Luck and in 2012 went 11-5 Lost AFC Wild Card
The original tank team. That team IIRC was 10-6 the year before with Manning, then Manning got hurt and they Sucked for Luck, and then went 11-5 the following year. It was an absolute tank job that no one seams to talk about.

Lot’s have people have said ”Tanking doesn’t work”. I say there is ample history of teams that won a max of 3 games one year and then turned it around the next. Whether those teams were tanking or not, they took advantage of their high draft position and turned things around quickly. Below is a list of some of them lest we forget.

2017 Jacksonville Jaguars 3-13 to 10-6 AFC Championship game. They drafted Leonard Fournette and had Miles Jack

2011 Indianapolis Colts (suck for Luck), went 2-11, then drafted Andrew Luck and in 2012 went 11-5 Lost AFC Wild Card

2012 Kansas City Chiefs went 2-11, then in 2013 turned it around and went 11-5, lost in Wildcard round

2007 Miami Dolphins went 1-15, 2008 went 11-5 lost in AFC Wildcard

1998 Indianapolis Colts went 3-13, Drafted Peyton Manning and then went 13-3 in 1999, lost divisional round

1989 Dallas Cowboys went 1-15, then in 1990 went 7-9, then in 1991 11-5 made divisional playoffs, 1992 13-3 SuperBowl Champions

For those of you who think this tank is stupid, a bad idea, and we are doomed to fail I say to you, that Is possible, but there is plenty of evidence of teams that were just about as crappy as us, or that were just as crappy as us that turned things around quickly by rebuilding, drafting high, and cleaning up their roster. The colts were an outright tank just like us and you can see what happened. Whilst Luck was a higher rated prospect than Tua, Tua is also very highly rated and could potentially have that kind of impact on a team.

ESPN did an analysis of the Dolphins strategy about a month ago on their website. It doesn't work. Teams that finish with fewer than 3 wins take an average 8 years to win a playoff game and some still haven't won a playoff game many more years later. And none of those teams deliberately stripped their rosters. You're cherry-picking the few successes and ignoring the far more common disasters. You also failed to mention that the Chiefs fired everybody after 2012 and hired Andy Reid and traded for Alex Smith.

So the running logic is...I don't want to tank and take my chances of building a team using multiple draft picks and lots of money because...I might be the Browns with an infusion of young talent but clearly lacking a competent coaching staff to bring it all together?

Is that what people are saying?

I'd rather go back to the last 10-15 years of "maybe" sneaking into the playoffs and getting blow out in the 1st wildcard game?

Go out and buy the next fancy FA player and try again?

So the running logic is...I don't want to tank and take my chances of building a team using multiple draft picks and lots of money because...I might be the Browns with an infusion of young talent but clearly lacking a competent coaching staff to bring it all together?

Is that what people are saying?

I'd rather go back to the last 10-15 years of "maybe" sneaking into the playoffs and getting blow out in the 1st wildcard game?

Go out and buy the next fancy FA player and try again?
Please explain..

ESPN did an analysis of the Dolphins strategy about a month ago on their website. It doesn't work. Teams that finish with fewer than 3 wins take an average 8 years to win a playoff game and some still haven't won a playoff game many more years later.
Do you realize how many "strategies" (I find it quite hilarious that they call "winning less than 3 games" a strategy to begin with) we can apply this kind of logic to and still get the same results?

Im not going to go very deep here because Im just effectively wasting time. ie. Fins have finished with pretty much every imaginable record during the last 30 years, and amazingly, they still havent won a SB...

What I'd really like to know is how the "4 wins or less" strategy working out? or the 5 or less? Wait! No... What I really want to know is what record should we root for in order to have the best of shots? 8-8? 9-7?

Just one more reason to stop wasting YOUR time on espn...

First of all the colts absolutely sucked for Luck, it was a thing. You can’t pretend it didn’t happen it totally did.

Second of all the point was these teams all won somewhere between 1 and 3 games and all turned around the next season after their worst season.

They all drafted high, and many of them secured their Qb and it made a big difference. There is nothing flawed about this list, I simply searched for the biggest turnarounds in the NFL since 1989.

Take from it what you will, my point is that there are a number of examples of bad teams turning it around quickly whether they were that bad intentionally or not. And the 1989
Cowboys are an excellent example in that they stockpiled tons of picks after trading away one of their best players and they were able to turn those picks into great players that became the foundation of super bowl runs. They too like other teams on this list went through a significant rebuild process. They traded Herschel Walker, we traded Laremy tunsel and Minkah Fitzpatrick and got a similar amount of return in the next two drafts. Let’s see how many great players we can turn those into, but yes there are similarities.

None of these circumstances are identical to the Dolphins, but there are similarities. Bad. Teams have been rebuilding all the time, and there are more than one example of bad teams being able to get their QB and that being the catalyst to turn them around.

Oh and by the way, we’ve been bad to mediocre for years too!

The list is what it is.

With the exception of the Cowboys, those so-called turnarounds were ephemeral. The Colts didn't get to a Super Bowl until 2006 and only after a coaching change and in any case no one gutted their roster to turn it around. The Cowboys roster Johnson inherited had Michael Irvin, Nate Newton, Mark Tuinei, Bill Bates, Kelvin Martin, Jim Jeffcoat, Ken Norton, Jack Del Rio and Kevin Gogan already on the roster and in his first year, with picks that had nothing to do with Walker, they drafted Aikman, Wisniewski, Daryl Johnston, Mark Stepnoski and Tony Tolbert. Why people keep comparing this situation to the Cowboys is mystifying, it's dishonest.

Back
Top Bottom