Top WR's in the NFL vs. Edwards/Williams | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Top WR's in the NFL vs. Edwards/Williams

caneaddict said:
I know speed isn't the end all be all. But when taking a guy this high, you expect that he was extremely productive in college

Edwards:
Caught 97 passes for 1,330 yards this season and is in the top 10 nationally in three major statistical categories. He ranks third in receptions per game at 7.91, fifth in receiving yards at 111.0 and tied for seventh in touchdown catches with 12.

He became the first player in Big Ten history, and ninth nationally, with 1,000-plus receiving yards in three straight seasons.

Edwards holds U-M career records in receptions (242), receiving yards (3,432) and 100-yard games (16). He is one touchdown catch shy of tying Carter's U-M career mark of 37.

This year, Edwards also set school single-season records for catches and receiving yards."

caneaddict said:
runs good routes, has VERY soft hands, has good height, good vertical leap, is willing to pull the ball away in a jump ball, has leadership skills, and all around good character.

I think for a receiver, what I look for is, can you still dominate when everybody in the stadium knows you're going to get the football?" said ESPN college football analyst Chris Fowler. "Braylon made plays late in games -- the Michigan State game -- other games, where Michigan was clearly looking for him and he still had the ability to dominate.

"That, to me, is what separates a dominant receiver from just a productive guy who's just more a product of a system."

Against Michigan State, Edwards leaped high to score two touchdowns in the game's final seven minutes of regulation, sending it into overtime. He then scored the winning touchdown in the third overtime."

In Michigan`s biggest game of the year against OSU:

11 catches 172 yards and 1 TD.

Here is more:

*Biletnikoff Award winner ... Walter Camp Football Foundation All-America first team ... American Football Coaches Association All-America ... Football Writers Association of America All-America ... Associated Press All-America first team ... ESPN.com All-America ... SI.com All-America first team ... Collegefootballnews.com All-America first team ... Rivals.com All-America first team ... finished 10th in the Heisman Trophy balloting ... Big Ten Offensive Player of the Year (coaches and media) ... All-Big Ten first team (coaches and media) ... winner of the Bo Schembechler Award as Michigan's Most Valuable Player ... was a Maxwell Award semifinalist ... candidate for the Walter Camp Player of the Year award ... started all 12 games at wide receiver ... set Michigan records for receptions and receiving yards in a season ... has a team-record 97 receptions for 1,330 yards and 15 touchdowns ... has hauled in at least one touchdown in eight of the 12 contests ... caught six passes for 91 yards and two touchdowns vs. Miami (Sept. 4) ... made a season-high 12 receptions for 129 yards at Notre Dame (Sept. 11) ... eclipsed Michigan career reception record held by Marquise Walker vs. San Diego State (Sept 18) ... caught eight passes for 130 yards and two TDs against the Aztecs ... passed Amani Toomer for second on the Michigan career receiving yardage list with six receptions for 150 yards vs. Iowa (Sept. 25) ... had a career-high 165 receiving yards and two touchdowns at Indiana (Oct. 2) ... made 10 catches for 98 yards and one touchdown vs. Minnesota (Oct. 9) ... caught three passes for 18 yards at Illinois (Oct. 16) ... passed the 3,000 career receiving yards mark, hauling in five passes for 25 yards at Purdue (Oct. 23) ... set career highs in yards (189) and touchdowns (3) vs. Michigan State (Oct. 30), including scoring the game winning touchdown in the third overtime ... scored three receiving touchdowns in final 6:27 of regulation and overtime against the Spartans ... named Big Ten Offensive Player of the Week and The Sporting News National Player of the Week for his performance against the Spartans ... became first player in Big Ten history and the ninth individual in NCAA Division 1-A receiver to have three 1,000-yard receiving seasons in career with seven catches for 54 yards vs. Northwestern (Nov. 13) ... made 11 receptions for 172 yards and one touchdown at Ohio State (Nov. 20) ... set Michigan season records for receptions and yardage against the Buckeyes ... served as special teams captain at Ohio State ...hauled in 10 catches for 109 yards and a Rose Bowl record three touchdowns vs. Texas (Jan. 1).

Some players don't have great 40 times, but make up for it with good football speed.

Torry Holt ran a 4.40 flat at the combine. Eric Moulds plays well in even years (look at his stats) and sucks in odd years.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/stats?statsId=3510.

If you had to choose a PREMIER #1 receiver to base your offense around (that's what your looking for at #2, not a very good receiver or a complementary receiver) I personally wouldn't take Moulds or Horn (Horn would be higher on my list).

Neither guy is in the mold of what I'm talking about. A guy who changes defenses; who single handedly changes games.

By the way Braylon Edwards has NEVER BEEN ARRESTED.

And he returned for his senior season.

Those two things speak volumes.

IMO.

Some players run the same 40 time with pads as without, plus if I'm trying to chase someone down or run-away from them, I'm going to run faster than if I was just running a normal 40. I'm sure that's how a lot of players are too.

HVACservice said:
By the way Braylon Edwards has NEVER BEEN ARRESTED.

And he returned for his senior season.

Those two things speak volumes.

IMO.

Never been arrested, well jeez we have to take him then :shakeno: I dont think any player that we are considering at #2 has been arrested, other than Benson.

I think Braylon Edwards is a lot like Roy Williams of the lions last year. The lions got a steal at #7 by getting him. As per his #'s (including injury), he ended up doing better than Fitzgerald (who got drafted at #2), and I feel Edwards is very deserving of the #2 pick as well.

DonShula84 said:
This one is from Mel Kipers site, it has him listed as a 4.54, and it says final notes from the combine, what excuse are you going to come up with now to try and prove your point :shakeno:

http://espnradio.espn.go.com/melkiper/s/2001/0307/1136944.html

No excuses necessary. I completely stand corrected. Wow! I had no idea CJ ran a 4.54.

That's definitely one.

So now we have Mushin Muhammed and Chad Johnson. Great. I'm not stuck on this position. Brought it up to see if it holds water. If not I will gladly change my mind.

Most amazing to me from that link was that Derrick Blaylock runs in the 4.3's. Didn't know that.

DonShula84 said:
Never been arrested, well jeez we have to take him then :shakeno: I dont think any player that we are considering at #2 has been arrested, other than Benson.

I was simply addressing the character issue that all of us have become somewhat wary of.

I think the fact that he returned for his senior year and resisted Millions from the NFL is a good sign as well.

But I know you don`t like Edwards regardless of the obvious production on AND off the field.

But hey.....to each his own.

Frisches13283 said:
Some players run the same 40 time with pads as without, plus if I'm trying to chase someone down or run-away from them, I'm going to run faster than if I was just running a normal 40. I'm sure that's how a lot of players are too.

Guys I understand all this and also know Braylon has every other great quality. I was just trying to see if besides all that, are there premier #1 franchise type receivers in the league that run slower than a 4.45. If not then regardless of all other arguments, I would hesitate to take him.

It's like when Saban talked about the arm length of LT's. Saying that very few successful LT's have arm reach less than 32". So some people can say that arm length doesn't translate to the field because it's more about movement and positioning but the hard cold numbers state that you can move as better than everyone but if you have 28" arms, you're probably not going to be too successful.

Same thing here, I'm trying to find out if this holds true in today's game with WR speed. I know in the past many WR's had slower 40's. But lately guys have been getting faster so I'm checking the current status of the game.

So far we've got Chad Johnson and Muhsin Muhammed (assuming he continues his development from last year).

DonShula-
That was a great link. Thanks. How did you find that link? I went to Kiper's main site and couldn't find any links for other years including 2001 so how did you get to it?

So I don't get it, you've clearly labeled a bunch of guys who you don't consider to be #1 WRs in the NFL (even if they currently are, and have been serving that role for quite some time), you labeled a bunch of guys who you don't consider to be perennial pro bowlers (even if they've made the pro bowl, perennially), who ASIDE FROM RANDY MOSS, do you consider to be one of the few guys in the league worthy of basing an offense around Caneaddict?

You listed Terrrell Owens, who does not run a fast 40 time.

You listed Chad Johnson, who has been shown to in fact not have run close to a 4.40 in the 40.

Marvin Harrison, by the way, is not very big, and not very fast. He would struggle to run in the 4.4 range, though I believe he could do it (as could and did Braylon Edwards).

You listed ANDRE JOHNSON?? Yet without flinching you toss away the likes of Joe Horn, Jimmy Smith, Hines Ward, Keyshawn Johnson, and Eric Moulds? My god dude...

And by your own little rules and rationalizations, I think we can toss Javon Walker out as a "one year wonder"

So basically, all you have left is Torry Holt (who I'll agree is blazing) and Randy Moss (as fast as they come) on your side. Yet other people have come up with Chad Johnson, Terrell Owens (he's not on your side, he runs no faster than Braylon Edwards, PERIOD), Joe Horn (average of 1250+ yards & 9 TDs over last 5 years), Eric Moulds (average 1100 yards & 6 TDs over the last 7 years), Hines Ward (average 1125 yard & 8 TDs over the last 4 years), Muhsin Muhammad (who ACTUALLY had his break out year in 1999 & 2000, but followed up with a bunch of injury-plagued years in which his career was in question), don't forget Amani Toomer who had his first down year after 5 straight years with 1000+ yards and 5+ TDs, and of course Derrick Mason.

I mean dude. Admit it, your point has been pretty overwhelmed by a crowd of productive, pro bowl caliber WRs, who run slower than Braylon Edwards.

Just my opinion but I think Edwards is a game changer. He's a big body that can create seperation, especially down inside the 20 for jump balls on fade routes. Put him on the field with Chambers and Booker and that's a pretty impressive WR Trio. I can see it now, Chambers streaking down field clearing a DB and a safety, Booker heading for an out and Edwards coming across the field void of a Safety and behind the LB's. Again I say, find a way to get Arrington in the 2nd and i'll take Edwards all day at #2.

caneaddict said:
I asked for top 10 WR's in the NFL TODAY (since I figure if you are drafting a WR at #2 you expect him to be at least top 10 - pro bowler).

Jimmy Smith therefore doesn't make that cut. Keyshawn never made the cut. Hines Ward MAY make the cut depending on who you ask. TO certainly makes the cut and is FAST (as I mentioned his 2nd gear is probably as fast as anyone). Anyone know TO's 40 time? I'm willing to guess it's faster than Edwards.

My theory is that the NFL is getting more athletic with more speed. So TODAY's pro bowlers are FAST.

Hines Ward is top 5 receiver. This guy gets overlooked so much. Jimmy Smith is 32. That guy was a perennial pro bowler calibre when he was healthy and young. Keyshawn gets double teamed all the time and has in the past had maturity issues.

TO ran a 4.6 when he first came out I think and he was the best last year.

I think the question more becomes, of the top WRs in the league, which ones HAVE run a 4.40 or below.

Back
Top Bottom