Top WR's in the NFL vs. Edwards/Williams | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Top WR's in the NFL vs. Edwards/Williams

caneaddict

Pro Bowler
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
It seems the sentiment is starting to shift from us taking a RB to WR with #2. Personally I don't think you draft either position that high unless the prospect oozes "once in a decade" type player. RB's can be had in later rounds. Most of today's top players were taken outside the top 10.

My personal issue with the two top WR's available in this draft is their speed. Whenever speed is mentioned, someone immediately brings up Jerry Rice. Jerry is VERY unique. However, today with the increased speed of today's athletes and specifically DB's, I think it is VERY rare to find a stud #1 receiver that doesn't have blazing speed (generally coupled with good size). Supposedly Randy Moss ran a 4.28. I don't know what TO runs but I do know his 2nd gear is FAST. Andre Johnson came in 2nd place to Allen Rossum (spelling? kick returner for Atlanta) for the NFL's fastest man this year. Chad Johnson can blaze and Javon Walker flies. Not sure Marvin's 40 but boy he can run.

So my question is:
Are there any top 10 level WR's in the league that run slower than 4.40. If none exist then I sure as heck wouldn't be spending a #2 pick on guys that run 4.46 (is that what Braylon ran?) and 4.59.

I know speed isn't the end all be all. But when taking a guy this high, you expect that he was extremely productive in college, runs good routes, has VERY soft hands, has good height, good vertical leap, is willing to pull the ball away in a jump ball, has leadership skills, and all around good character. Given all that, what are the odds of him becoming a Pro Bowl receiver if he runs the 40 in about 4.5? Well I'm assuming the odds are less if none of the top WR's today run that slow.

The only position I would be willing to draft someone who doesn't exude definite "once in a decade" qualities is QB. Simply because finding QB's later is tougher and and very rare.

ok...here i'll name a few that run under 4.4

Terrell Owens
Hines Ward
Jimmy Smith
Keyshawn Johnson

and many many more

Mike Williams has very good 2nd gear speed...as long as TO...doesnt run the 40 well cause hes not that fast with out the ball in his hands

I asked for top 10 WR's in the NFL TODAY (since I figure if you are drafting a WR at #2 you expect him to be at least top 10 - pro bowler).

Jimmy Smith therefore doesn't make that cut. Keyshawn never made the cut. Hines Ward MAY make the cut depending on who you ask. TO certainly makes the cut and is FAST (as I mentioned his 2nd gear is probably as fast as anyone). Anyone know TO's 40 time? I'm willing to guess it's faster than Edwards.

My theory is that the NFL is getting more athletic with more speed. So TODAY's pro bowlers are FAST.

Buddwalk said:
ok...here i'll name a few that run under 4.4

Terrell Owens
Hines Ward
Jimmy Smith
Keyshawn Johnson

and many many more

Mike Williams has very good 2nd gear speed...as long as TO...doesnt run the 40 well cause hes not that fast with out the ball in his hands

i know for a fact t.o. and keyshawn ran over a 4.4, not under. mike williams has average 2nd gear speed, one of his few flaws.

I think he meant all 4 ran OVER.

A slow 40 time isn't that big a deal. Anquan Boldin ran a 4.70 40 and then had a Pro Bowl rookie season for the Cardinals. Other receivers who ran slower than 4.6 when they came into the league include Terrell Owens, Derrick Mason, Jerry Rice and Plaxico Burress. What matters is playing speed.

caneaddict said:
. Anyone know TO's 40 time? I'm willing to guess it's faster than Edwards.

Its not.

I think they ran about the same.

Besides Bryan Gilmore is faster then both.....but....

You get the picture.

pvgolf32 said:
i know for a fact t.o. and keyshawn ran over a 4.4, not under. mike williams has average 2nd gear speed, one of his few flaws.

your facts suck...cause there false

Keyshawn ran a low 4.5 but showed great hands and had a good college career

TO wasnt really a known prospect coming out...but his 40 was under 4.5 as well

hes not as fast as ya think

Muhsin Muhammad isn't running by anyone...and he had the most productive season out of any reciever last year.

HVACservice said:
Besides Bryan Gilmore is faster then both.....but....

You get the picture.

Please reread my initial post where I clearly explained that speed is NOT all that matters

I know speed isn't the end all be all. But when taking a guy this high, you expect that he was extremely productive in college, runs good routes, has VERY soft hands, has good height, good vertical leap, is willing to pull the ball away in a jump ball, has leadership skills, and all around good character. Given all that, what are the odds of him becoming a Pro Bowl receiver if he runs the 40 in about 4.5? Well I'm assuming the odds are less if none of the top WR's today run that slow.

I'm NOT saying that speed = success.

It's not sufficient but necessary. So I don't care about busts like Keyshawn or David Boston. I care about TODAY's top active WR's and seeing if any of them are in fact SLOW (as defined by running a 40 in over 4.45). Unless someone shows me specific numbers I refuse to believe TO runs a slower 40. Everytime a new prospect has a very fast 40 and is tall and thick people talk of the similarity to TO so I doubt he is slow. Andre Johnson was compared to him coming out of college for that specific reason.

HugeFinFan said:
Muhsin Muhammad isn't running by anyone...and he had the most productive season out of any reciever last year.

Finally - Thank You! A good example.

One caveat here is that Muhsin has been in the league a while and had his break out year last year. I think he's really good but he needs another good year to prove he's perennial Pro Bowler material. But nonetheless it's a good call.

That's 1 WR so far. Any others?

Back
Top Bottom