Totally New Concept | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Totally New Concept

Ray R

Club Member
Reaction score
I know that is a typical marketing type of saying, but what if our coaching staff woke up one morning and said " why not use a dual QB system?".

We could alternate the QB's by half's with a slightly different game plan for each half. Why not? many teams that find themselves behind by 20 points after the first half make "adjustments" and go on to win.

We could also rotate QB's according to the teams we play against each week to take advantage of our QB's different strong points and to keep our opponents in the dark, or worse, so confused as to which QB offense they need to plan for that they don't know whether to take a piss or get out of bed?

This sounds better and better all the time. There are no reasons our receivers cant make adjustments to optimize their performance with each of our QB's ( it may even work for getting the most out of the receivers different strengths) or better yet, have the coaching staff set up basic calls unique to each QB. As the season goes on, there could be more and more different calls until there is some bleed over between calls used by our different QB's.

Please keep in mind that when football started there was no such thing as a forward pass. Somebody said why not, and it changed the game forever.

Lets see, "Totally New Concept" dual QB play from a team undergoing change in coaching and personnel. This would might even go unnoticed at first with the league thinking we are just trying out the new QB's to see what we have, only to find out half way through the season this was all intentional and its killing them on the field.

If it works as well as I think it could we might get into the Superbowl. If it doesn't work at all, so what. Would we be any worse off then we would be with out trying this "Totally New Concept" dual QB system out?

I don't think so.

I mean didn’t the Phins do this with Woodley and Strock? I forget which was which but one had a big arm and the other was super efficient. I wasn’t alive back then but I remember hearing other Phans and FH members discussing it

I'm pretty sure they'll do something similar this year and decide which QB to start according to whose ass is the least kicked...My God, even Falk is gonna get his arse punted behind this year's Oline.

I think the Woodstrock thing came about only because things would go wrong with Woodley and Strock had to play in relief and try and save the game (Griese had retired in 1980). I also think that had Woodley been more consistently good, Shula may never have drafted Marino.

I think it could be effective if the two quarterbacks had very different styles/skill sets. That would be hard to prepare for.

I guess, in a sense, that's kind of similar to the idea behind the wildcat.

NFL is a precision game and there just not enough practice reps to get 2 qbs fully clicking on offense and on same page will all WRs and skill positions. Hell there isn’t even reps going to just 1 starting qb with the practice time restraints. Sounds good in theory but not a good idea.

I know that is a typical marketing type of saying, but what if our coaching staff woke up one morning and said " why not use a dual QB system?".

We could alternate the QB's by half's with a slightly different game plan for each half. Why not? many teams that find themselves behind by 20 points after the first half make "adjustments" and go on to win.

We could also rotate QB's according to the teams we play against each week to take advantage of our QB's different strong points and to keep our opponents in the dark, or worse, so confused as to which QB offense they need to plan for that they don't know whether to take a piss or get out of bed?

This sounds better and better all the time. There are no reasons our receivers cant make adjustments to optimize their performance with each of our QB's ( it may even work for getting the most out of the receivers different strengths) or better yet, have the coaching staff set up basic calls unique to each QB. As the season goes on, there could be more and more different calls until there is some bleed over between calls used by our different QB's.

Please keep in mind that when football started there was no such thing as a forward pass. Somebody said why not, and it changed the game forever.

Lets see, "Totally New Concept" dual QB play from a team undergoing change in coaching and personnel. This would might even go unnoticed at first with the league thinking we are just trying out the new QB's to see what we have, only to find out half way through the season this was all intentional and its killing them on the field.

If it works as well as I think it could we might get into the Superbowl. If it doesn't work at all, so what. Would we be any worse off then we would be with out trying this "Totally New Concept" dual QB system out?

I don't think so.

If u have two qbs that means you don’t have one.

I like what the Saints are doing with their Tebow-esque backup...

NFL is a precision game and there just not enough practice reps to get 2 qbs fully clicking on offense and on same page will all WRs and skill positions. Hell there isn’t even reps going to just 1 starting qb with the practice time restraints. Sounds good in theory but not a good idea.
I think this is a very good point. I’m currently reading Michael Lombardi’s book where he writes about his time with the Patriots. One thing that becomes totally obvious: Belichick would rather run the same play all game long if they had enough practice to perfect it instead of running 3 different plays which they haven’t practiced a lot. I believe our new coaches are from the same mold: practice makes perfect and they will not be doing stuff in games if they’re not comfortable with them. Having said that, there is not enough time for two QBs.

I don't think so.

I'm not going to hazard an opinion, but I'll add an observation.
This is a lot like other ideas fans have. 'Draft a QB ev ery year until you get an elite one.' 'Draft pure BPA.' A while back I heard 'have 2 types of QBs - pocket and scrambler - and play the one who would cause the D the most trouble.' In this case, "why not use a dual QB system?" To me, though all the years of NFL, there's a reason this isn't done consistently. I have no idea what it is, but I defer to the experts.

Hmmmmm, how about... noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Back
Top Bottom