Toughest Cuts | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Toughest Cuts

NYDolfan

Practice Squad
Reaction score
To get the roster down to 53, Phins coaches are going to have some tough decisions. Here are some guys I see as on the bubble:

Robert Edwards
Shawn Wooden
Jeff Ogden
Marcus Spriggs
Anthony Cesario
Ernest Grant
Adewale Ogunleye
Shawn Draper
Alonzo Mayes
Trent Gamble
Mark Royals?!
Deon Dyer?!
all rookies except McKinney

Dyer is the toughest IMO, I do not see Edwards getting cut unless he gets hurt again.

I'd personally like to start Deon Dyer. Our OL isn't at the point yet I think where we can fully afford a fullback who isn't very good at his #1 duty, blocking.

Randy McMichael, Seth McKinney, and believe it or not Omare Lowe, are not on the bubble. Period. Well at least in my opinion and from what I've seen out of the coaches and from the training camp reports.

Simmons and Leonard Henry are definitely on the bubble. We might try to hide one or both on the practice squad. Henry we could probably successfully hide (unless he tears it up in preseason via Autry Denson circa 1999) because he was all set to be completely undrafted and teams don't cut one of their RBs and sign a 7th round or undrafted RB just cuz of "rumors" that he looked ok in camp.

Simmons was a 6th round pick and perhaps should have been higher...we could lose him.

When its all said and done, Deon Dyer will be on the team. We will end up keeping 6 guys in the backfield, Williams, Minor, Edwards, Henry, Konrad, and Dyer. Wannstedt said the other day keeping 6 is a very big possibility and I think it will happen.

I think Konrad is ok at blocking and offers much more to warrant starting. I think Dyer's power is a nice weapon to be able to bring into a game. Positions where there will be bubble fights may come down to 2 players:

DT - Grant - Atkins
S - Gamble - McGarrahan
CB - Lowe - Green
TE - Mayes - Draper(maybe both gone)
DE - Ogunleye -
LB - Gaylon - Severns
QB - Lecvik - Kostok
LB - Russel - Shields
WR - Baker - Ogdon - Simmons
RB - Henry - Femi
OL - guys on the bubble Searcy, Andrews, Cesario, Nails, maybe Spriggs.

Its pretty much Andrews vs Cesario I think. Probably Spriggs vs Nails.

Interesting matchups but personally I think that Gamble would be competing more against Wooden because McGarrahan signed a 3 year contract extension this year. We found a pro bowl worthy special teamer there and he's here to stay. Gamble could also be a pro bowl worthy special teamer however he's got to prove his shoulders are fine, and Wooden's just got to prove his value to the team.

I still think Lowe makes this team no matter what. Wanny LOVES the DBs that he drafts.

Searcy is definitely not on the bubble. I think Andrew is not on it either. Nails maybe but I personally think all those guys will make it actually.

We have so many FA on O-line next year I doubt anyone will be let go that are young and can play.

I disagree with a lot of your picks for cuts. Edwards (as stated earlier) won't be going anywhere unless injured; the team might even carry 4 RB's if Henry can show something on ST. Ogden will be the punt returner this year; he just needed someone to push him. Searcy's not going anywhere and might even be starting come opening day. Spriggs is another one who's here to stay for at least one more season. Ogun is showing some good things in camp and will be on the final roster, albeit in a backup role.

Dyer and Royals are looking more and more like gonners as each training camp day goes by. Casey Roussell (spell?) is bangin' those kicks and Dyer just doesn't inherently fit Norv's scheme.

We can't keep everyone. Start figuring max numbers for positions like 9 OLinemen, 6 LB's. My reason for selecting Gamble Vs McGarrahan was because I think Wooden may be the best option to play safety if necessary and he'd make it because of that.

Until Mare starts accepting Roussel as his holder Royal's ain't going anywhere.

Good point we do have some free agent OL coming up next year....wait...

Who's going to be a free agent on the OL? Wade will be restricted but thats no biggie...

Thing is I don't know if we'll keep 9 OL and we definitely won't keep 10. Smith, Dixon, Ruddy, Perry, Wade all locks...Searcy, Nails, McKinney, Cesario, Spriggs, and Andrews are all vying for 3 maybe 4 spots.

I don't know if Cesario is even allowed to be put on the psquad anymore cuz there's restrictions on putting guys with so many seasons under their belt on the psquad. And Andrews played a full season on the active roster so I think there's a restriction on psquading a guy that's been on the roster for a season.

I think McKinney's a lock. Searcy probably a lock (if his groin heals). Nails probably stays onboard. From there its probably Cesario, Andrews, and Spriggs vying for 1 spot.

Originally posted by NYDolfan
To get the roster down to 53, Phins coaches are going to have some tough decisions. Here are some guys I see as on the bubble:

Robert Edwards
Shawn Wooden
Jeff Ogden
Marcus Spriggs
Anthony Cesario
Ernest Grant
Adewale Ogunleye
Shawn Draper
Alonzo Mayes
Trent Gamble
Mark Royals?!
Deon Dyer?!
all rookies except McKinney

Damn there is going to be some debating, isnt there?

Damn,I would like to keep:
R.Edwards
S.Wooden
A.Ogunleye
A.Mayes (Maybe depends how he performs)
T.Gamble
D.Dyer
all rookies except O.Lowe
..................................From your list.

CKP is likely right. Wanny isn't saying much about Henry with hopes of putting him on the PS.

Originally posted by ckparrothead
Good point we do have some free agent OL coming up next year....wait...

Who's going to be a free agent on the OL? Wade will be restricted but thats no biggie...

Thing is I don't know if we'll keep 9 OL and we definitely won't keep 10. Smith, Dixon, Ruddy, Perry, Wade all locks...Searcy, Nails, McKinney, Cesario, Spriggs, and Andrews are all vying for 3 maybe 4 spots.

I don't know if Cesario is even allowed to be put on the psquad anymore cuz there's restrictions on putting guys with so many seasons under their belt on the psquad. And Andrews played a full season on the active roster so I think there's a restriction on psquading a guy that's been on the roster for a season.

I think McKinney's a lock. Searcy probably a lock (if his groin heals). Nails probably stays onboard. From there its probably Cesario, Andrews, and Spriggs vying for 1 spot.

My guess is that 9 O-linemen stay around due to the injuries the 'Fins experienced last year; they're going to want to keep some insurance. My prediction on those nine are: Wade, Ruddy, Dixon, Perry, Smith, Searcy, McKinney, Nails, and Spriggs. Andrews and Cesario will be the odd men out.

Back
Top Bottom