TRADE: Bears Trading TE Adam Shaheen To Dolphins For Conditional 6th-Rd Pick | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

TRADE: Bears Trading TE Adam Shaheen To Dolphins For Conditional 6th-Rd Pick

already had forgotten about the pick we got for Harris..

So Cameron is reporting it was a 7th now

I'm not sure how you can trade a conditional pick before the terms have been reached for you to actually get the pick? For example what happens if Harris doesn't meet the conditions with the Falcons and Miami doesn't get the Falcons 7th round pick? If Shaheen meets the terms with Miami and the Bears say we'll take that 7th round pick you promised us from the Falcons and Miami just says opps we never go that pick.

I'm not sure how you can trade a conditional pick before the terms have been reached for you to actually get the pick? For example what happens if Harris doesn't meet the conditions with the Falcons and Miami doesn't get the Falcons 7th round pick? If Shaheen meets the terms with Miami and the Bears say we'll take that 7th round pick you promised us from the Falcons and Miami just says opps we never go that pick.
From my understanding, the pick we got from the Falcons is not a conditional pick, it was straight up a 7th round pick.

From my understanding, the pick we got from the Falcons is not a conditional pick, it was straight up a 7th round pick.

it does appear ti be a straight pick-

Dolphins trade edge rusher Charles Harris to Falcons
i

CAMERON WOLFEESPN Staff WriterMay 1, 20202 Minute Read
The Miami Dolphins traded edge rusher Charles Harris to the Atlanta Falcons for a 2021 seventh-round pick, the teams announced Friday.

Grier must of really liked him in 2017 and Pace sniped him in the 2nd round before Grier was ready to take him.

The coaching staff developed a lot of players last year, hopefully they can do the same here.

When you look at his high school basketball highlights (at 6'6 200 pounds) you can understand te Gesicki comparisons. His college and pro tape at 280 pounds looks atheletic for his size, but nor Gesicki like. If he's going to stick it's going to be because he's using that 280 pounds to block somebody in additiion the anything he brings as a receiver.

This is exactly why he is far worth a shot, Miami right now as far as TE is very predictable, if Gesicki is in (Miami has an extra Receiver out there...watch for the pass), if Smythe is out there (watch the run). Roberts is not as effective pass catching and blocking.

Shaheen with his never dropping a pass proves he can catch passes thrown at him (Granted he has not been targeted much, but when he has woth a catchable ball, he has made the play), and his 70+ blocking grade proves he can block when asked to. His problem is staying healthy, as a backup, it would him to be used sparingly.

Roberts is a huge question mark, but what little we do about him in the NFL is, he is an inconsistent pass-catcher, with a very slightly better blocking grade.

Shaheen is a far better all around TE then anyone Miami has...give him a shot for either a 6th or even nothing if he does not make the team.

Last edited:
I just think if people are expecting Shaheen to look like a Gesicki type athlete they're going to be disappointed. He moves well for 280 pounds, but he is still lumbering. Much more of a Gronk body type than Aaron Hernandez type. Not saying Gronk the player or athlete, just Gronk like size.

But like Gronk, he can block as well as catch passes...maybe not as well, but way good enough for what Miami needs.

This is exactly why he is far worth a shot, Miami right now as far as TE is very predictable, if Gesicki is in (Miami has an extra Receiver out there...watch for the pass), if Smythe is out there (watch the run). Roberts is not as effective pass catching and blocking.

Shaheen with his never dropping a pass proves he can catch passes thrown at him (Granted he has not been targeted much, but when he has woth a catchable ball, he has made the play), and his 70+ blocking grade proves he can block when asked to. His problem is staying healthy, as a backup, it would him to be used sparingly.

Roberts is a huge question mark, but what little we do about him in the NFL is, he is an inconsistent pass-catcher, with a very slightly better blocking grade.

Shaheen is a far better all around TE then anyone Miami has...give him a shot for either a 6th or even nothing if he does not make the team.

Roberts was cut earlier this week with a non-football injury designation (shoulder). Hence the trade for Shaheen.

Roberts was cut earlier this week with a non-football injury designation (shoulder). Hence the trade for Shaheen.

Yup...there you go, hence the trade for Shaheen...makes sense now.

Here's to him being able to stay healthy for us as a backup, because talent he has.

Tua will throw to the reciever that is open according to the design of the play. Anything else is unacceptable in the grand scheme of things.

I don't want a Brett Favre type freelancer. I want an elite technician, with mental, as well as physical prowess, that reads pre/post snap and makes the correct decision.

That is the way to disect defenses today on a consistant basis.

JMO
In the long term, I agree with you. And to be fair, I almost always agree with your thoughts @Mach2 .... we see a lot of things the same way. But, I could see this particular one playing out differently.

Every young QB learns in a series of surges and plateaus. Typically, they start off with a much more paired down version of the offense, and as they prove they can handle it, they are offered a bigger slice of the playbook. Inevitably, these new slices come with ... mixed results. Often leading to initial success and then rough patches as they absorb the material and progress along the learning curve. The typical staples for young QB's as they progress along this learning curve are a heavy dependence on the run--which seems reasonable considering we just added 3 run blocking OL and 2 veteran RB's--and a teaching philosophy that stresses it is OK to check down. That means more passes to the TE, who are big safety nets for a young QB.

While the long-term de-emphasis on TE's will be obvious under Gailey, the short term may allow Gesicki to show his worth. I'm guessing the other TE's will be bent into a more blocking mold with occasional pass targets.

Also, young QB's tend to generate chemistry with certain individuals earlier than the rest. The guys they run routes with most often and who catch their passes most often tend to be their go-to targets in the early going and when things start to get rough. If the coaching staff puts Gesicki into that role, I could easily see him being an early favorite target for Tua. If Preston Williams loses out on the starting spot to Albert Wilson, he also could be the person who garners that role and get starts when Tua is ready. Those are the young guys I see us putting closest to Tua to build chemistry for the long haul.

Tua will evolve into the QB you are describing @Mach2 , but as he is finding his way, I could also see him being very reliant on those targets with whom he has the most chemistry. If the Dolphins brain trust is smart, they'll make those guys Mike Gesicki and Preston Williams.

Sometimes the trade states it will be a Dolphins 6th rounder but does not specify which 6th rounder, and both teams agree that if the Dolphins are awarded a compensatory 6th, that the Dolphins can choose to send that in a trade. If they are not awarded a compensatory 6th rounder, the Dolphins need to come up with another 6th round pick to trade, or possibly give their own 6th. Both GM's understand that it will most likely be a compensatory pick in the 6th round. But, since the Dolphins do not yet own that compensatory pick, so they word the "condition" differently.

Of course, many conditions are performance related, such as if he catches 30 balls or plays 100 snaps it is a 2021 6th rounder of the Dolphins choice, and if he doesn't then the Dolphins can provide any draft pick in 2021 or a 6th round or higher pick in 2022. Often they do not tell the details because many teams will sit a player to avoid paying the higher round compensation ... and that would cause a backlash from fans and players if they revealed that info.

Don’t like how this current personnel staff identifies talent at the position, jmo..but he‘ Got the clean slate now.

On a bears site they felt their GM was a genius for getting anything for him.
Seems a good gamble for us. Our O line may well need blocking help and with Covid we will need depth.

Sometimes the trade states it will be a Dolphins 6th rounder but does not specify which 6th rounder, and both teams agree that if the Dolphins are awarded a compensatory 6th, that the Dolphins can choose to send that in a trade. If they are not awarded a compensatory 6th rounder, the Dolphins need to come up with another 6th round pick to trade, or possibly give their own 6th. Both GM's understand that it will most likely be a compensatory pick in the 6th round. But, since the Dolphins do not yet own that compensatory pick, so they word the "condition" differently.

Of course, many conditions are performance related, such as if he catches 30 balls or plays 100 snaps it is a 2021 6th rounder of the Dolphins choice, and if he doesn't then the Dolphins can provide any draft pick in 2021 or a 6th round or higher pick in 2022. Often they do not tell the details because many teams will sit a player to avoid paying the higher round compensation ... and that would cause a backlash from fans and players if they revealed that info.
Nice explanation, thanks.

“He’s very motivated in these meetings. We’ve had some extra time, too, to make sure that he’s getting caught up. Ideally with a new player, we’d go through the spring portion and then now we’re into the fall portion and it’s kind of just maybe the second or third time he’s heard things, so he’s got some work cut out for him mentally, but he’s up for the challenge. The guy’s been productive in the pass game and like I said, his length against NFL defensive ends or outside ‘backers that are on the line of scrimmage, that’s a valuable piece to have; so we can’t coach that part, but we can definitely catch him up to speed and then it’s up to him to get open in the passing game.”

Conditional pick more than likely meant ( if he passes his physical )

Back
Top Bottom