Trade Ogunleye for a 1st Rounder Straight Up! Now! | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Trade Ogunleye for a 1st Rounder Straight Up! Now!

Da 'Fins

FinHeaven VIP
Club Member
Reaction score
This is ultimately a no-brainer, imo.

1) No one is going to give us a 1st and a 3rd AND dole out a massive contract ($10 M signing bonus likely).

2) We can't afford to pay the guy with our needs on the OL and at WR and also, now, with needs at LB depth.

3) Signing him would further handicap an already horrific offense for the next few years.

4) We have solid backups already (David Bowens and Jay Williams). The sack totals will go down slightly, but I think Bowens can get 10 sacks. Plus, they are high on Grigsby and they could draft another DE in the mid rounds (3-5) to compete.

5) The extra draft pick and money gives us a lot of flexibility. We should sign two more O-linemen in free agency. If we do that, we can have a lot of flexibility in the draft. With two picks in round 1 we can get a WR and a) a future QB; b) another OL; or c) best player available. OR, we can trade up and get one of the stud WR's like Roy Williams.

- We just have to hope a team is interested (the Rams? Vikings?) in trading a first and spending the $$ on O-Gun.
- Btw, we CAN trade him if he agrees to a deal with another team and they negotiate down the tender. It's happened several times in the past with RFA's.

You say we cant afford him but we are 7 mil under the cap and madisons deal might be coming soon to open up mo money. just wait and be patient. we do not have to hurry on Ogun. let teams soak it up and give it up or shut up.
you are obviously dying more for the picks but if Spielman gets our Oline from FA, then getting a WR in the first round is immenent and do you really think we are getting a QB now? i doubt it and Rivers will go to buffalo or pittsburgh if that is your angle.

It's not about having draft picks as much as re-building the offense and not putting more money into the defense.

We are 7 Mil under - but we still have the McIntosh deal and we are likely to pursue another OL or WR in free agency. Beyond that, it's not the money today - but, his cap numbers in the future.

I'm not opposed to having O-gun on the team or signing him to a long term deal, within reason - he's been a great player for us. I'd love to have him here, but not if it means sacrificing a player that could start and upgrade the offense. Of course, O-Gun may be asking for the same kind of money as Grant Wistrom or "the Freak," b/c his stats are as good as or better than theirs. That would be a tough pill to swallow, don't you think?

I agree with you Da Fins, but this is still a poker game. There is still a lot of time left before Wale needs to be signed, so we must be patient and let Rick play his game.

I would start asking the Rams about their #26 pick since they lost Wistrom, and I would ask the Chiefs about pick #30 since they apparently coveted Ogunleye all along.

By dealing OGUN, we could more than likely draft Jake Grove who could be our starting center for many, many years to come. I agree with you Da'fins. It's not "this year" that scares us with Ogun. It's future years. Our big money on defense is already spent. Young guys like Chambers and McMichael need new contracts soon and I'm sure Ricky will want a little more sooner than later. I think D-Bo, J Will, and Grigsby will do just fine taking OGUN's spot. Getting Jake Grove is a nice upgrade on our O-line also.

I think we all have mixed feelings about this. I love Ogun and we need his pass rushing in there. Also, if we trade him for a 1st round pick, is the guy that we draft gonna turn into an all pro? But we know that Ogun IS and all pro. If we're gonna get a 1st and a 3rd then great but I have a problem trading him just for a 1st unless is a high 1st.

Ozzy rules!!

The Dolphins may feel they can stand to lose O-Gun because of what they have seen in DE Grigsby, and the desire to get some more talent on Offense.

Somebody will make an offer to him that is more than we are willing to pay him. It might not be what he wants, but it will be more than we offer.

Back
Top Bottom