Trade Rumor | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Trade Rumor

I dont think it would happen with the Phins, the Chargers would be risking the fact that the Niners will draft Edwards.

It seems like this trade was just BS or the Niners are covering it up.

49ers | No Truth to Chargers Trade Rumor - from www.KFFL.com
Sat, 26 Mar 2005 08:59:31 -0800

Matt Maiocco, of the Santa Rosa Press Democrat, reports a San Francisco 49ers team spokesman denied the speculation that there have been trade talks with the San Diego Chargers involving the team's No. 1 overall draft pick. The rumor had the 49ers sending the No. 1 overall pick in the draft to the Chargers for QB Philip Rivers, who was the fourth overall selection last year.

I cant see the chargers giving up a second when theyre giving up Phillip Rivers who their general manager loves.

DUDE there is no way we should trade away our #2 pick unless we are getting BOTH the vikings first rounders +

rivers has to develop as much as feeley does so it would be a waste

I think if we are going to go QB, which I would like them not to, I really think Alex Smith will be the best in the bunch. I know a lot of peoiple loved Rivers last year but I believe Smith has the most potential becuase he's such a smart player. The 2 best QB's in the league right now, Manning and Brady, are also known for their smarts. Rivers is more of a fierce competitor with great physical tools. Those guys can be hit or miss.

I'm all for this rumored trade as long as Saban can get one of their 2 first rounders out of it.

fear-the-d said:
rivers has to develop as much as feeley does so it would be a waste

Rivers is also younger than Feely. I think if the oppertunity comes along to snag a potential franchise QB AND still get a First round draft pick in a draft litterally dripping with HB talent, then it seems like a pretty smart move for Saban to make

i want to see surtain and our #2 overall pick for rivers and a 1 and 2 from them.than we are trading down for a 1 and a 2..

:ally: :ally: :ally: :ally: :apc:

I'll be happy if any of these scenarios play out on draft day:

- We draft Ronnie Brown, Carnell Williams or Cedric Benson
- We draft Alex Smith or Aaron Rodgers
- We trade the second overall pick for Philip Rivers and the 61st overall pick
- We trade the second overall pick for Philip Rivers and the Chargers' two third-round picks

And the more unlikely scenarios that I would LOVE to see happen:

- We trade the second overall pick for Philip Rivers and the 28th overall pick
- We trade the second overall pick and Patrick Surtain for Philip Rivers and the 12th overall pick
- We trade out of the second overall pick for a king's ransom

My wet dream scenario (A guy can dream, right?):

We trade the second overall pick and Patrick Surtain for Philip Rivers and the 12th overall pick. One of these five players somehow (Don't forget that I'm dreaming!) falls to us at #12: Benson, Williams, Brown, Antrel Rolle or Adam Jones. If Ronnie Brown somehow (!) fell to the 7th overall pick, I'd give up the 12th overall pick and next year's second and third-round draft picks in order to move up and grab him. I'd even seriously consider giving up the 12th overall pick and next year's first-round pick. Picking up Alex Barron at #12 would be great too.

----

BTW, a lot of you seem to be overlooking the fact that the Chargers will EAT Philip Rivers' bonus if they trade him to us. That alone makes him better than Rodgers and Smith IMO. Why? Well, there are a number of reasons. First, Rivers would be significantly cheaper than taking either QB at #2 due to the fact that the Chargers would end up paying Rivers' bonus. Obviously whoever we take with the second overall pick is going to expect a hefty signing bonus. Secondly, we could cut Rivers after two or three seasons if he proved to be a bust without taking any cap hit whatsoever. We obviously cannot do the same thing with Rodgers or Smith. Finally, if Feeley pulls a "Drew Brees" and blows us away this year then we could trade Rivers next offseason without taking any cap hit!

All in all, I'd definitely take Rivers and the Chargers' second-round pick for the second overall pick. Such a move is a can't-lose-big gamble if ever there was one. Hell, I'd seriously consider giving up the second overall pick for Rivers straight-up.

We trade the second overall pick and Patrick Surtain for Philip Rivers and the 12th overall pick. One of these five players somehow (Don't forget that I'm dreaming!) falls to us at #12: Benson, Williams, Brown, Antrel Rolle or Adam Jones. If Ronnie Brown somehow (!) fell to the 7th overall pick, I'd give up the 12th overall pick and next year's second and third-round draft picks in order to move up

:yeahthat:

Back
Top Bottom