Trade Up is Possible | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Trade Up is Possible

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
The Dolphins don't have a second round pick, but that doesn't mean they can't trade up. Sure, Miami would have to give up more than a lot of other teams closer to that #1 pick (what's new), but they have players to make it work. I wouldn't want to trade someone like Vontae Davis, for example, but if it meant packaging him to get Andrew Luck you bet I'd do it. After reading what CK and others have wrote and watching quarterbacks as much as possible, there are two guys I'd trade up for: Andrew Luck if he declares and Blaine Gabbert if he declares. I'd take Cam Newton if he falls to where the Dolphins pick (not likely). I'd also take a chance on Jake Locker and Ryan Mallett as well, but then I'd also draft another quarterback pretty high. Miami needs a better than average quarterback to make the next jump and to compete with the elite teams like New England and Pittsburgh in the AFC. I know others have talked about trading for Kyle Orton, but really how many quarterbacks like him have won a super bowl? The super bowl champions usually have franchise quarterbacks like Drew Brees, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady etc. There are very few Trent Dilfer's on the winning side and he had one of the best defenses that ever played the game. Just saying Miami can trade up or get a heck of a lot more talent around average type quarterbacks, which usually doesn't translate into super bowl titles.

Trading up for luck would leave us pickless this year and for alot of next year. Theres also a good chance he might not come out. I love gabbert but trading up isnt the greatest idea with a team with so many holes and no second round pick. Best option i would say is to trade back and get our Qb in the late 1st or second.

Trading up for luck would leave us pickless this year and for alot of next year. Theres also a good chance he might not come out. I love gabbert but trading up isnt the greatest idea with a team with so many holes and no second round pick. Best option i would say is to trade back and get our Qb in the late 1st or second.
True, just wonder who will be there. Are any of the second tier guys like T.J. Yates, Ricky Stanzi etc. good enough to move this franchise forward? When you think about Miami and New England the main difference really is Tom Brady. Give the Dolphins Tom Brady and the Patriots Chad Henne and we're talking a division title for our fins. That's how much a top quarterback means even to a team with a lot of holes.

And trade down is plausible
Yes, more possible I would think then a trade way up. Should be some pretty good players available where Miami picks. That said, I do wonder if anyone other than Luck or Gabbert could move this franchise forward to that elite level.

Well, there's rumors that even Gabbert may be staying in school. Regardless of what happens, the Dolphins will still have to have a stop-gap next year if they draft a QB. We've seen what happens when you just throw them in at the beginning (with some exceptions) vs benching them for a year or so (Rodgers, etc).

Well, there's rumors that even Gabbert may be staying in school. Regardless of what happens, the Dolphins will still have to have a stop-gap next year if they draft a QB. We've seen what happens when you just throw them in at the beginning (with some exceptions) vs benching them for a year or so (Rodgers, etc).
That's exactly what I'm thinking. I'm actually hoping Sparano gets another year, but if he does I think that increases the odds that Miami goes the veteran route -- maybe bringing in Donovan McNabb for a year or trading for Carson Palmer.

look here ditka, we cannot trade up we have too many holes on the team

Back
Top Bottom