Trade with SD | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Trade with SD

Agent51

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Anyone see on ESPN the other day about SD wanting to trade up for a WR and the posibility of Rivers or Brees being traded? If I remember correctly a scenerio was named where a trade between the charges and us would consist of Rivers/Brees and their #12 for our #2. I HOPE this doesn't happen. As much as I like Brees and think Rivers has great "franchise QB" potential, WE NEED A RUNNING BACK, and I am not confident in ANY of them outside the big 3. We don't need Rogers or Smith, a QB won't start right away for us. We don't need Williams or Edwards because our WR staff now is perfectly capable of getting the job done, and we don't have a rushing threat to open up the pass ANYWAY, we don't need a DB because (assuming Pat leaves) we still have Madison and Poole to start, and we don't need a LB because Thomas and Seau can get the job done for another year. A RB will make the most impact this year. One of the BIG THREE RBs will rather. The QB pool, IMHO, is much deeper than the RB pool this year anyway, so we can get a quality QB as far back as 4 in my eyes. Saban, PLEASE get Benson or Brown (preferably Benson, haha, but I'd even take Cadillac, just get ONE OF THEM!!!!!)

If we don't pick a RB at #2 one of them will probably fall to #12 anyways. I'd probably make that trade if they threw in a late round pick.

Cheapshotz said:
If we don't pick a RB at #2 one of them will probably fall to #12 anyways. I'd probably make that trade if they threw in a late round pick.

If we still had a shot at getting one at 12 I'd do the trade too, but I don't see one of em still being there.

if true, doubt it but......if true and it's Rivers and the 12 for the 2...I'd waste no time in making that trade. With a bulk of Rivers signing bonus NOT our expense coupled with his 6 more years on it I believe (with an option I believe in year 4) it would bring tremedous value to us. Rivers is easily, IMO, better than ANY of the QB prospects this year and has had a year to acclimate himself to how things are done in the NFL on a daily basis (something I think is overlooked by many). It also negates the extremely large bonus paid to the #2 overall pick which I've stated before I didn't believe ANY player in this draft is worth (comparing it to Oaklands payout last year).

I like the fact also that the #12 pick allows for a wider range of player options (Thomas Davis being one of my favs) and also the abililty to trade down again and pick up a 2nd round pick. If you look back the 8-14 pick range the last 6 years has been a high movement area for teams that liked players who tend to slip in the draft.

I don't like it as much with Brees. I just don't like him and the franchise tender he has guarantees he's gonna get big money in signing bonus and $ per year.

Don't think it happens but I'm love it if it did. Besides IF hugely lucky Caddy, my fav back in the draft, falls and we get him outside of the top 10. Still prefer trading down again but I couldn't imagine being happier than coming out of this draft with Rivers and Caddy...for me....the rest would be butter. Big time dreaming on that though.:)

Honestly guys, do you really think this would happen???
Seriously, where do you guys dream up this stuff that has absolutely no chance?

Interesting. Its a fair offer imo. The question is who would Saban want? I think most of the board would gravitate towards Rivers because of his upside and high draft status, but Saban may be more inclined to take a solid, proven QB thats ready to play now - and Brees just turned 26 so hes still got 7-8 good years left if he stays healthy.

The Rivers signing bonus is interesting though, since we wouldnt have to pay it.

like I said, I'd be all over it. I just don't see it happening though.

One other interesting thing about it though is that it actually would help both teams out. They get to draft the WR they want (I don't believe Edwards goes #1...of course I don't like Edwards in the top 10, just me) and they solve there QB problem. They had the problem with Flutie and Brees and they go through it again with Brees and Rivers. I think from SD standpoint they'd rather trade Brees because of money but on the opposite side, they'd take a HUGE PR hit by trading the guy that SD residents believe gave LT the help that turned that franchise around (I still have family in Oceanside that are huge Charger fans)

BTW, they've said nothing to me about the trade. We talked about something like it during Rivers holdout in training camp because I'm a Rivers fan but neither of us thought each teams seasons would finish as they did.

I'm starting to think Miami should draft Derrick Johnson, lets face the music, we ain't going to the superbowl this year and NFL runningbacks are so replaceable that we should just take the PBA and in my mind thats DJ.

whatsburning said:
It still counts against our cap, doesn't it? Or does that get immediately bumped up to the current year and all we have to be responsible is the yearly salary?

some Rivers' cap info for ya (makes a trade for him less likely to me)

If traded..7 mil cap hit to SD, remainder of 15 mill bonus in contract.

salary by year:

05: ?
06: 615K
07: 940K
08: 1.265
09: 1.590
10: 1.915

Brees cap hit w/o contract (franchise tender 8.017 mil for 1 yr.). They have the money to keep both...I think they will for one more anyway and keep whoever they like best.

way off topic but I found this letter from the City Attorney of SD from back in 2002 on rumor of them moving to LA. It's long but interesting in that it goes into what teams and cities agree on as far as contracts and the steps in breaking/keeping/holy crap factor.

http://www.sandiego.gov/chargersissues/pdf/aeg020605.pdf

ps: it's a clean PDF...for those who worry. like me!

Id take Rivers and the #12. As stated above Rivers is a better prospect than any Qb in the draft. He'd be the #1 pick if he was in this draft. I dont see this happening, especially with Brees on a one year deal and no backup on the team. They seem pretty committed to seeing how things play out this upcoming season then trading one of them.

From what I've seen from Nick Saban, he will NOT sacrifice the value of the #2 pick. We're picking 2nd. Deal with it and discuss the logic behind your prediction from that point.

I mean, really... can you imagine Saban beginning his regime with the #2 pick, dealing down to the #12 range, and end up choosing between LB Derrick Johnson and CB Pacman Jones? If you trade down to the #12 spot, you had better do it with the assumption that all 3 RB's (Ronnie Brown, Cadillac Williams, Cedric Benson), both QB's (Alex Smith and Aaron Rodgers), and the top 3 WR's (Braylon, Mike Williams, Troy Williamson to a lesser extent) will be long gone by that point.

If the Chargers actually want to deal Philip Rivers, there has to be reason that they do it in the first place: BECAUSE THEY DONT BELIEVE HE IS A FRANCHISE SIGNAL CALLER. Drew Brees had an amazing season that virtually erased every weakness we've discuseed on this board. And what has happened? The Chargers STILL want to see another 5:1 TD:INT year out of him before they deal Rivers.

Philip Rivers will be a San Diego Charger this season. The Miami Dolphins will draft second in the upcoming draft. I'll use my signature behind that prediction.

zephon said:
if true, doubt it but......if true and it's Rivers and the 12 for the 2...I'd waste no time in making that trade. With a bulk of Rivers signing bonus NOT our expense coupled with his 6 more years on it I believe (with an option I believe in year 4) it would bring tremedous value to us. Rivers is easily, IMO, better than ANY of the QB prospects this year and has had a year to acclimate himself to how things are done in the NFL on a daily basis (something I think is overlooked by many). It also negates the extremely large bonus paid to the #2 overall pick which I've stated before I didn't believe ANY player in this draft is worth (comparing it to Oaklands payout last year).

I like the fact also that the #12 pick allows for a wider range of player options (Thomas Davis being one of my favs) and also the abililty to trade down again and pick up a 2nd round pick. If you look back the 8-14 pick range the last 6 years has been a high movement area for teams that liked players who tend to slip in the draft.

I don't like it as much with Brees. I just don't like him and the franchise tender he has guarantees he's gonna get big money in signing bonus and $ per year.

Don't think it happens but I'm love it if it did. Besides IF hugely lucky Caddy, my fav back in the draft, falls and we get him outside of the top 10. Still prefer trading down again but I couldn't imagine being happier than coming out of this draft with Rivers and Caddy...for me....the rest would be butter. Big time dreaming on that though.:)

No doubt about that. Caddy and Rivers would make me wanna crap my pants! (in a good way).

Fitz said:
I'm starting to think Miami should draft Derrick Johnson, lets face the music, we ain't going to the superbowl this year and NFL runningbacks are so replaceable that we should just take the PBA and in my mind thats DJ.

Not even close to being BPA. He'll be a good LB, but he's nto Ray Lewis. And if he's not All-Pro caliber, i.e not one of the best 2 or 3 LB's in the NFL, he's not worth the #2 pick. LB's are way more replaceable than RB's.

Back
Top Bottom