Trading Down? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Trading Down?

Canuck

Starter
Reaction score
As stated in a prior thread, I'm of the opinion that Miami will NOT make a trade for RW given the conservative natures of RS and DW. Consistent with that nature is trading down in the draft.

With the 25th pick, we're not really in position to make a move into the earlier portion of round 1 to grab that impact player we need (Mike Williams or William Green). We are also without a 2nd rounder as we all know so I propose that we trade down 10, 15, maybe 20 spots into the early-mid portion of round 2 if the deal(s) are there to be made and garner an extra pick or two.

Assuming we are successful in trading down to the 16th pick of round two, what extra pick(s) could we expect? Another 2nd? 3rd? 3rd and 4th? I'll assume we trade down to the 16th pick of round 2 and aquire a 3rd and 5th for doing so. With our newly acquired 2nd, we could grab an OT in the form of Marc Columbo or Victor Rogers. We could grab a RB in the 3rd like Jonathon Wells or Lamar Gordon. With our second 3rd rounder we could grab an OG like Martin Bibila or Fred Weary.

I know we're dealing with a lot of hypotheticals here but as a Miami fan, I'd be more than happy coming away from the first day of the 2002 NFL draft with the likes of OT-Victor Rogers, OG-Martin Bibila and RB-Jonathon Wells to help add both youth and talent to our under-staffed offense. I'm sure that Tony Wise, Joel Collier and Norv Turner would welcome their talents.........

I am all for trading out of the first, just need to see who is there before we dump the pick.

Good Point

And the upcoming Combine and personal workouts will have a lot to do with how the draft's first day shakesdown. I am curious to know however, what sort of compensation we'd be looking at by rading down from the 25th pick to the 48th pick (or there-abouts).

Any idea?

I would like to see Dave and Rick pull the trigger on RW, and I have a feeling that this is going to happen. I also think that we are going to give up our first and third THIS YEAR to get him. The wrinkle will be that we get NO's second this year and they get ours next year. So that's a first and 3rd this year and a second next year, for RW and a second this year. How's that sound?

What you are describing is the way the Dolphins have climbed to their current perch. You end up with alot of good and very few great players. I think it's time to be aggresive and go after the big fish.

I think the hopes for progress next season would be much higher with RW and Rogers, Bibla, Kendall Simmons or Levi Jones, than they would with Rogers, Bibla,and Wells.

I would rather get F. Taylor than RW and from the sounds of the front office the RW talks are in bad shape so i would start preparing for a rickyless 2002 season.

Originally posted by dofnsman4303
I would rather get F. Taylor than RW and from the sounds of the front office the RW talks are in bad shape so i would start preparing for a rickyless 2002 season.

If what you want happens, Travis Minor will start 13 games next season.

Originally posted by iceblizzard69

If what you want happens, Travis Minor will start 13 games next season.

Nice one, brothaa!

Infinsible,

I think you are right on...Lets see Miami go for the big Fish for once...be agressive and try and get it done...1 and a 3 for Ricky Williams and a 2 is not even that big of a risk...

Why settle for mediocrity when you have a chance at greatness?

Originally posted by RHoffman
1 and a 3 for Ricky Williams and a 2

fool•ish

Pronunciation: (fOO'lish), [key]
â€â€adj.
1. resulting from or showing a lack of sense; ill-considered; unwise: a foolish action, a foolish speech.
2. lacking forethought or caution.
3. trifling, insignificant, or paltry.
4. Not trading a first and a third round pick for Ricky Williams and a second round pick.

I think a first and a third rounder for Ricky and a second would be a STEAL. If that happened, Ricky would equal a second rounder. Do the math. :)

i dont know guys ricky got 1200+ yards but look at the rest he only averaged 4.0 ypc and only got 6 tds in 16 GAMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not to mention his mental problems. And look at his line compared to ours. I am not saying he isnt a physical specimen because he is and i respect him and even support him but i am just tryin to look at this from every perspective. But who knows maybe a change of scenary and new system is all he needs.

Originally posted by inFINSible
I would like to see Dave and Rick pull the trigger on RW, and I have a feeling that this is going to happen. I also think that we are going to give up our first and third THIS YEAR to get him. The wrinkle will be that we get NO's second this year and they get ours next year. So that's a first and 3rd this year and a second next year, for RW and a second this year. How's that sound?

Yes, that's right. You heard it hear first!
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then.lol

Originally posted by inFINSible

Yes, that's right. You heard it hear first!
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then.lol
Williams or Taylor is a big risk,, F -Taylor would be less because of getting him cheaper, and I would definitely question a Williams move - pertaining to draft picks, his new contract, and his mental demeanor overall .. IMOP Taylors upside is far greater and the cost to get him will be substantially less, so the main concern is can a team keep him on the field ? Garrison Hearst is a back that comes to mind when questioning R-B injuries, he proved all the doubters wrong last season, maybe if Taylor comes to Miami the change of scenery will give him a Hearst attitude !! I will be very surprised if the Maimi faithful will see either Taylor or Williams in a Dolphin backfield this season .. Marino1983 :evil: :evil: :evil:

Garrison Hearst and Fred Taylor are two completely different stories when it comes to injuries. Taylor hasn't played a full season in four years because of a variety of aches and pains, Hearst has had to recover from ONE, major leg injury that put his carreer in doubt.
Taylor's only upside is that, if he ever makes it through a full season injury free, his team will go to the Super Bowl, but he will never do that.He is a potato chip. He might be the best potato chip you ever ate, but he's still nothing more than a snack.

Back
Top Bottom