Trading For Jakeem Grant Would Mean Low-risk, High-reward For Saints | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Trading For Jakeem Grant Would Mean Low-risk, High-reward For Saints

Trade him, he'd net you a 5th or 6th.

He's a great ST and a threat in space, but not a good WR.
That means nothing about regression or improvement and none of our WRS ran anything close to good routes, the only one that did was Wilson. Everyone else is severely lacking in that department.

He's not worth worrying about, he's a below average WR and a fast return guy. If someone offers a 5th you take it with a smile on your face. He's meh everywhere.

He had 8 catches for 60 more yards last year, not exactly what I call getting better.

It's honestly a kind of blank claim to say he ran nothing "close to good routes" considering the only way to definitively say that is by watching his film, and let's be honest, probably 99% of us on this forum do not watch film.

What about his routes weren't good? You're going to have to do more than just randomly say "his routes weren't good" without providing any evidence of that whatsoever.

He was having a solid season before he got hurt. Trading dudes just to trade them is how teams go from bad to worse.

Expecting a 5th round pick to be as much of a contributor as grant is just foolish.

Sure. Pick plays in a game and show me where he's running consistently clean routes.

That highlight video was terrible. Use some better material this time. That play I referenced is how he was and is most of the time.

*Shows one play*

ItS hOw He WaS aNd Is MoSt Of ThE tImE

Trade him, he'd net you a 5th or 6th.

He's a great ST and a threat in space, but not a good WR.
He's cheap and productive. I really don't understand the mentality of some of you on this board. You want to trade him for a 5th or 6th rd. pick? Are you kidding me? Now if the Saints are stupid enough to give up a 1st or a 2nd, I am all for it.

I don't think people realize Tyrik Hill(Yes! That guy from KC) was in a very similar position as Grant(I'm not saying they're exactly the same). He was considered "just fast" and a "Special Teams" only player. Does that sound familiar? It wasn't until KC decided to start featuring him a lot more on offense did he emerge.

Without question, I believe Grant can offer a team more on offense than the opportunity he's been given here to showcase. If you truly watch him on offense then you would see opportunities are there to be had. But, we've never have had the QB/OL/HC/OC to take advantage of those plays.

I really believe(based on those missed opportunities) If he goes to a team like NO he "easily" would be a much more impactful player on offense.

If I were Grant's agent and there was a chance to play under Brees and for Payton, I would be begging for that trade.

@Digital
@ckparrothead

I don't think people realize Tyrik Hill(Yes! That guy from KC) was in a very similar position as Grant(I'm not saying they're exactly the same). He was considered "just fast" and a "Special Teams" only player. Does that sound familiar? It wasn't until KC decided to start featuring him a lot more on offense did he emerge.

Without question, I believe Grant can offer a team more on offense than the opportunity he's been given here to showcase. If you truly watch him on offense then you would see opportunities are there to be had. But, we've never have had the QB/OL/HC/OC to take advantage of those plays.

I really believe(based on those missed opportunities) If he goes to a team like NO he "easily" would be a much more impactful player on offense.

If I were Grant's agent and there was a chance to play under Brees and for Payton, I would be begging for that trade.

@Digital
@ckparrothead
I completely agree. But … let's not give his agent any ideas! We want him here in a Miami uniform when he becomes the next WR version of Barry Sanders!

I completely agree. But … let's not give his agent any ideas! We want him here in a Miami uniform when he becomes the next WR version of Barry Sanders!

Oh, I want him to stay here. But if you read the thread a lot are making it seem like the guy can't get open.
The point of route running is to get open and he does that plenty. Now if you want to argue that's more of a product of his natural acceleration and top end speed? Then I say so?
The result is the same. He gets open!
Heck, I'd even argue he gets more open than any receiver we have on the roster including Kenny Stills!

It's not his fault the ball isn't coming his way. Go ahead and ship him off to NO and see what happens.

Last edited:
Oh, I want him to stay here. But if you read the thread a lot are making it seem like the guy can't get open.
The point of route running is to get open and he does that plenty. Now if you want to argue that's more of a product of his natural acceleration and top end speed? Then I say so?
Heck, I'd even argue he gets more open than any receiver we have on the roster including Kenny Stills!

It's not his fault the ball isn't coming his way. Go ahead and ship him off to NO and see what happens.

Less than 500 yards. Wow awesome player

I completely agree. He broke all of Welker's records at Texas Tech for a reason, the guy is breathtaking in the open field. His speed and acceleration scare DB's into crazy cushion. If they dare jam him at the line of scrimmage, he jukes them out of their jockstraps and it's only a safety between him and the end zone. But, we need an OL to give the QB time to throw those longer routes, and a QB who is looking for him.

This Patriots offense is designed to get the ball out quick, so there's a lot of emphasis on pre-snap reads and precision throws. But, if the QB is up to the challenge, it uses a lot of pick plays to get guys wide open over the middle. I see Jakeem Grant scaring those safeties out of their minds. The presence of Grant or Stills will enable Stills to get deep on single coverage a lot more often. So, if we can get an OL that gives us time, we can hit a lot more deep passes and push those DB's off of sitting on those short routes. If Grant touches the ball 12 times a game, he is making multiple wow plays, and breaking a lot of chunk yardage and explosive TD's over the course of the season.

This offense utilizes small quick guys like Edelman, Hogan, and while he was there, Brandon Cooks. I see our WR corps (minus DeVante Parker) as having the skill sets to execute this offense as long as their route running is sharp. Danny Amendola is probably not sticking around, but he does have the right veteran loyalty look so even he might stay for a season. But, we're not going to have that hyper-precise QB who can make those pre-snap reads and audible into the right plays in year 1, so all of our WR corps effectiveness will be down considerably. After all, the inferior QB is one of the big pieces we're going to need to tank effectively if we want the #1 overall draft pick.

@Digital
@ckparrothead

Except that Tyreek Hill as a rookie before as you said KC decided to feature him a lot more on offense had 1836 All purpose yards and 12 total TDs. He had more TD's as a rookie than Grant has had in 3 years. He almost has as many receiving TD's as a rookie (6) than Grant has scored overall in 3 years (7).

Back
Top Bottom