Trading up? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Trading up?

I'm all for trading up if Miami feels one or two of the quarterbacks is clearly the cream of the crop. That position is so important and the Dolphins have to get it right. Right now, it looks like Tua and Burrow are the consensus top two, with Herbert probably number three. I think Eason, Fromm and Love are intriguing as well. It comes down to how Miami feels about all these quarterbacks. It's possible the front office likes three or four of them and not just one or two.

The problem with trading up, though, is finding a partner. Right now, Cincinnati has the number one pick. That team needs a quarterback and if they see it as only Tua and Burrow they aren't trading. Washington could be a trade partner, but it depends on what they think about Haskins. The Jets won't trade with Miami. The Giants are a possibility.

So you don’t want to move up this year and draft a franchise QB but next year is a different story? Jesus Christ........

Why waste draft capitol this year when they can waste it next year.

Not to speak out of turn here since your post wasn't actually directed at me, but there is a reasonable school of thought that says draft the core of the team this year and get the QB the following season after the role players have a chance to gel for a season. This provides greater protection on your QB investment and a better chance to be successful early. As a counterpoint, however, it is perhaps as or more reasonable to draft the QB this draft and sit him all season, which should yield similar results. Of course, the ultimate deciding factor will be who the team likes (if anybody), as that should determine what year they pick a QB.

Not to speak out of turn here since your post wasn't actually directed at me, but there is a reasonable school of thought that says draft the core of the team this year and get the QB the following season after the role players have a chance to gel for a season. This provides greater protection on your QB investment and a better chance to be successful early. As a counterpoint, however, it is perhaps as or more reasonable to draft the QB this draft and sit him all season, which should yield similar results. Of course, the ultimate deciding factor will be who the team likes (if anybody), as that should determine what year they pick a QB.
I’d rather have the qb gel with the core first then build around him.

Trading up should not be considered. This is not a smart strategy considering the amount of holes this team has.

Now, I'm not a Tua backer, but if we are sitting at 4 or higher, I think we might still get him.
I think the Bengals will go Burrow, and the Skins (with Haskins) may take Thomas for Haskins' blind side.
Then it comes down to Young and Tua.

At that point, I think it depends on who has the 3. Either one of the New York teams could take Young there.

This assumes no trades... but it is possible.

I’d trade up for Tua in a heartbeat. I don’t think anyone holding that card is gonna trade down though. Probably get laugh out of the building even offering to trade up.

Trading up would cost us 3 2020 1st, 2 2021 1st and multiple 2nds. That is an out of control cost to trade up and insane! The cost the trade up due to hype would sell out our teams future for another decade.

Trading up for a QB is one thing....giving away all your high picks just for one QB is not the way to build. I want a top QB of course but you need to build a team around that QB. The ideal is for us to have the 1st or 2nd pick, draft the QB and build up with your other picks.

Trading up would cost us 3 2020 1st, 2 2021 1st and multiple 2nds. That is an out of control cost to trade up and insane! The cost the trade up due to hype would sell out our teams future for another decade.

Haha Im not moving up from 15 to 1. If thats the cost to move up from 3 to 2, then yeah im not doing it. Im thinking one of our 2021 firsts would be where I start to move up one or two places. Like I said I dont think anyone is trading out with Tua on the board so I think its unlikely either way. But I will never say never. Maybe the team ahead of us is foolish and gets scared away because of the ankle injuries.

The jets moved up 3 spots from 6 to 3 for Darnold and gave up 3 second rounders. What you are proposing is way over the top. What the **** over the top.

Bears moved from the 3rd to the 2nd for picks 3, 67, and 111 and a future 3rd rounder for Trubisky.

Last edited by a moderator:
A team without a starting QB needs to go after one every year. A late round 2nd on Rosen was a no brainer. Doing whatever it takes in the next draft. Do it. There is NO waiting one more year for your QB. If we don't hit in this next draft...you go again in 2021. I will never fault a GM for making a move for a QB. I will fault him for not makin a move.

A team without a starting QB needs to go after one every year. A late round 2nd on Rosen was a no brainer. Doing whatever it takes in the next draft. Do it. There is NO waiting one more year for your QB. If we don't hit in this next draft...you go again in 2021. I will never fault a GM for making a move for a QB. I will fault him for not makin a move.
Absolutely. To me, that's what draft capital is all about. Sure, I want as many picks as possible but I'm trading up if necessary to get a franchise quarterback.

The fear I have about trading up is over paying. Especially since the entire league knows how many draft picks Miami has. I'd expect other teams to try and get a kings ransom out of the Dolphins.

Personally I like both Burrow and Tua and if we got either from our own pick great but I haven’t seen enough to be convinced to give up and draft capital to get one of them with all the holes we have in our team which require addressing.

I’m still hoping we can grab a good established QB in FA and use all our picks in 2020/21 on the rebuild. If it doesn5 work out we can be in a position to either draft a good QB in 2021 with one of our future picks or trade our pix for a move on a QB in 2022 but by then we could have built a decent team

Back
Top Bottom