Training Camp Battles | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Training Camp Battles

NYDolfan

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Here's something to talk about in this too long off-season. While the Phins appear set at most positions, there will be some interesting battles for key backup spots in training camp.

I've put a * next to my pick, but I thought this might trigger some discussion....

3rd QB - Cade McKnown*, Tim Levcik, Zak Kustok

3rd RB - Robert Edwards*vs. Leonard Henry

5th WR - Jeff Ogden, Robert Baker, Sam Simmons*, Albert Johnson, or Free Agent

O-Line
LT - Brent Smith, Marcus Spriggs, Mark Dixon*
2 Guards - Jim Bundren, Anthony Cesario, Mark Dixon, Jamie Nails*, Todd Perry, Leon Searcy*, James Wagstaff
Center - Tim Ruddy*, Seth McKinney, Troy Andrew
4 backups - McKinney*, Smith*, Spriggs*, Cesario*, Bundren, Perry, Wagstaff, Andrew, et al

4th DT - Ernest Grant* vs. Henry Taylor

4th DE - Ogunleye or Free Agent*

4th CB - Ray Green* vs. Omar Lowe

Punter - Casey Roussel* vs. Mark Royals

Punt Returner - Jeff Ogden, Sam Simmons*, Dedric Ward, Albert Johnson, Robert Baker

Kick Returner - Chris Chambers, Brock Marion, Sam Simmons*, Jammar Fletcher, Albert Johnson, Robert Baker

Originally posted by NYDolfan
Here's something to talk about in this too long off-season. While the Phins appear set at most positions, there will be some interesting battles for key backup spots in training camp.

I've put a * next to my pick, but I thought this might trigger some discussion....

3rd QB - Cade McKnown*, Tim Levcik, Zak Kustok

3rd RB - Robert Edwards*vs. Leonard Henry

5th WR - Jeff Ogden, Robert Baker, Sam Simmons*, Albert Johnson, or Free Agent

O-Line
LT - Brent Smith, Marcus Spriggs, Mark Dixon*
2 Guards - Jim Bundren, Anthony Cesario, Mark Dixon, Jamie Nails*, Todd Perry, Leon Searcy*, James Wagstaff
Center - Tim Ruddy*, Seth McKinney, Troy Andrew
4 backups - McKinney*, Smith*, Spriggs*, Cesario*, Bundren, Perry, Wagstaff, Andrew, et al

4th DT - Ernest Grant* vs. Henry Taylor

4th DE - Ogunleye or Free Agent*

4th CB - Ray Green* vs. Omar Lowe

Punter - Casey Roussel* vs. Mark Royals

Punt Returner - Jeff Ogden, Sam Simmons*, Dedric Ward, Albert Johnson, Robert Baker

Kick Returner - Chris Chambers, Brock Marion, Sam Simmons*, Jammar Fletcher, Albert Johnson, Robert Baker

gotta take your word for it...

the top 5 are IMO

1. 2 Guards - Mark Dixon, Jamie Nails, Todd Perry, Leon Searcy
  2. Nickel back Ray Green vs. Jamar Fletcher
  3. 3rd QB Cade McKnown, Tim Levcik, Zak Kustok
  4. Punt Returner - Jeff Ogden, Sam Simmons, Dedric Ward, Albert Johnson, Robert Baker
  5. Punter - Casey Roussel vs. Mark Royals
    [/list=1]

You seem to not like Ogunleye very much. He showed some flashes last preseason. The other position essentially seems to pit Brent Smith against Jamie Nails as starter since we assume that Mark Dixon will start either at tackle or guard. Let's see how he does coming off the injury.

The battle i hope materiallizes is Cade vrs Ray for the 2nd qb. I know it is very doubtfull, but it would be so great if he shows some of the things that made him a 1st round pick, so we could have some hope for our qb of the future. The only negative about that is every time Jay throws a bad pass people would be on here calling for Cade to start.

I think Levcik will beat out McNown....if he shows anything. I think we'll take the the big, strong guy with the cannon over the underachiever with the weaker arm.

On the OL, I just don't see the need to release Todd Perry. Not with Dixon and Searcy starting (Dixon will be LG). You can never have enough depth on the OL. Nails will certainly stick. I wish we could keep 10 linemen.

At DE, I think we'll keep 5 DEs again. Burnett will stick, as will the improving Ogunleye. Regardless, David Bowens will see lots of action no matter who we sign.

RB - I think Henry could prove too talented to cut. Might force us to keep 4 RBs. Or he might beat out Edwards. We'll see.

I agree with Muck about his comments.

Levcik could prove to be a better prospect than Mcnown.Althoguht that new rule of Practice squad to add 1 qb might make life easier for Mcnown because they might just keep both but I think coaches want to see something out of Mcnown this offseason.

Well on the offensive line pending how Nails performs.If Nails out plays Perry cut Perry If not keep Perry for depth.

AT DE,I know we will Keep all 5 ..but I don't see a real urgency to having another DE.Ogunleye could become a starter or Daid Bowens although he is a little under size(If Gardner goes down or Chester).They might be able to outplayed Gardner at DE because how much more fitted they are for the job but I shouldn't say too much because I haven't seen Gardner play DE yet.

RB Henry will prove to be too talanted to be cut.They will probably keep all 4.We all know our history..A team Never has enough talented RB.. and we have four talented rb on our roster...I never felt comfortable at our RB position but this year I'am.:)

:monkey: Pete Prisco

Originally posted by minus
I agree with Muck about his comments.
me, too only I think that Perry may be asked to re-neg. or get cut if they see him as a backup and that would likely lead to him getting cut.

Bubble Boys

I'm glad my previous post elicited some banter. While I don't anticipate any big surprises come August, there are a few name players on the roster who have to really impress in training camp to avoid getting cut (and subsequently picked up by a dreadful team like Carolina). Here are some of the "bubble boys."

Cade McNown - I was psyched when we got this guy, but he's really starting to look like one of those players that was great in college but just doesn't cut it in the NFL.

Robert Edwards - I'm rooting for him in his comeback, but he's got to look dynamite and be 100 percent healthy in training camp to beat out Leonard Henry.

Matt Kalapinski - This guy can play, but barring an injury to Konrad or Dyer he has no chance to make the team

Jeff Ogden - With rookie Sam Simmons and a healthy Albert Johnson and Robert Baker competing for the 5th WR/return man spot, I think there's a good chance he gets cut.
Alonzo Mayes - The Phins will likely carry 3 TEs. Perry's a lock b/c of his long snapping and barring injury, I can't imagine they'd cut Weaver or McMichael, so unless Mayes looks like a Pro Bowler in training camp he gets cut. Draper may stick on the practice squad b/c he can play O-line in a pinch.

Todd Perry - Had an off year and will probably lose his starting spot to Searcy, but he doesn't have a big salary and is still a valuable backup.

Tim Ruddy - If McKinney develops quickly, Ruddy could be cut or switched to guard....next season. The safe bet this year is that he stays put. Andrews, despite the praise he's received, may be guy who gets cut.

Adewale Ugenleye, Ernest Grant, Henry Taylor - While they've shown flashes of potential, unless the team decides to keep 10 D-linemen, at least one will get cut. Especially if they sign Burnett.

Shawn Wooden - A likable guy and a solid backup safety, but he's not as good a special teams player as Gamble or McGarrahan. With the emmergance of Ray Green and rookie Omar Lowe who both play CB and safety, Wooden may be the odd man out.

Mark Royals - Rookie Casey Roussel has a legit shot to beat him.

i think the biggest battles are at offensive line...searcy will start if he stays healthy...the guy im interested in seeing is jaime nails...he supposedly looks to be in very good shape and determined...also at left tackle with smith and spriggs...

53 men, tough choices

53 is a lot. As I see it, you really only need 48:

3 QBs
3 RBs
2 FBs
3 TEs
9 OLs
5 WRs
8 DLs
6 LBs
4 CBs
3 Ss
1 K
1P

The extra 5 are like a security blanket. They'll probably keep 2 extra DBs and maybe one extra LB for special teams, but I really hope, given the injury histories of Gardener, Searcy and Dixon that they go with 9 DLs and 10 OLs. The lines have suffered injuries down the stretch each of the last two years proving that we cannot have enough depth for the late season and playoffs. I like the draft picks of Omar Lowe and Sam Simmons as they can each play more than one position, giving us some flexibility with the roster.

Re: 53 men, tough choices

Originally posted by NYDolfan
53 is a lot. As I see it, you really only need 48:

3 QBs
3 RBs
2 FBs
3 TEs
9 OLs
5 WRs
8 DLs
6 LBs
4 CBs
3 Ss
1 K
1P

The extra 5 are like a security blanket. They'll probably keep 2 extra DBs and maybe one extra LB for special teams, but I really hope, given the injury histories of Gardener, Searcy and Dixon that they go with 9 DLs and 10 OLs. The lines have suffered injuries down the stretch each of the last two years proving that we cannot have enough depth for the late season and playoffs. I like the draft picks of Omar Lowe and Sam Simmons as they can each play more than one position, giving us some flexibility with the roster.

The extra 5 as I see it are:
  1. a 9th DLmen
  2. a 10th OLmen
  3. Ed Perry LS
  4. a 4th S/STer
  5. a 5th S/STer
    [/list=1]

Back
Top Bottom