Training Camp Day 10 | Page 20 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Training Camp Day 10

3) Pressure Up Front
The one consistent theme on defense throughout camp has been defensive pressure coming off of the edge. It been a constant rotation of veterans Cam Wake, Robert Quinn, Andre Branch and Charles Harris. Also, the push up the middle has been forcing the quarterbacks closer to the edge pressure and into would-be sacks. It’s been a difficult task for starting offensive tackles Ja’Wuan James and Laremy Tunsil to hold their ground against the speed coming up the field. I’m really looking forward to see how both sides of the line of scrimmage handle their jobs when a different color jersey lines up opposite them.
We've seen this movie before. Based on training camp reports we believe that we have an elite pass rushing defense. Until they play an offensive line that doesn't **** it up on every other play.

The technique Saban coaches is one where he doesn't want them turning to look for the ball even if they're in-phase. He doesn't coach corners to backpedal either. He has a unique style that works for his defense. He doesn't want to give up the big passing plays.

So essentially you're absolutely right. Minkah will learn to get his head around and look for the ball. He's only had about 4,000 reps drilled in him doing it Saban's way. He just needs time to adjust and learn a different technique.
Didn't know that and it explains why I often think Alabama DBs are slow to get their head around. Cheers

Suh had 4.5 sacks last year and he rarely came out. I think he played about 85% of the snaps.

Branch played much of the season hurt, Wake disappeared cause he got wore out from playing so much and Hayes was lost for the season but when he was in he lived in the backfield...and they rarely played him which made no sense.
Quinn is a beast...major upgrade opposite Wake. Phillips has shown he can get upfield, sometimes better than Suh did. Godchaux was just a rookie last year and plays very well...should be improved as well as Charles Harris.

The number of sacks we had last year was remarkably low...one of the worst seasons in Dolphins history as far as team sack numbers. None of our LBs could blitz (we have more speed now with McMillan in the middle), we rarely blitz from the corner (should see an increase of that with Fitzpatrick) and our DBs should be better as a whole making the QBs hold the ball a little longer. All of those factors should lead to much better sack numbers.
I take back everything I said. This team will be lucky to get to 35 sacks this year. We played a banged up injured starting O-line in Tampa Bay and got no pressure. It was mostly pitch and catch for the QB and WRs and we didn't do well against the run either. The scheme doesn't work.

I take back everything I said. This team will be lucky to get to 35 sacks this year. We played a banged up injured starting O-line in Tampa Bay and got no pressure. It was mostly pitch and catch for the QB and WRs and we didn't do well against the run either. The scheme doesn't work.
You might be right but IMO not for the reason you are giving. There was no scheme last night and it was the first preseason game. The starters haven't worked together in game conditions yet for but the first part of that game.

Little early to revise your opinion, isnti it?

You might be right but IMO not for the reason you are giving. There was no scheme last night and it was the first preseason game. The starters haven't worked together in game conditions yet for but the first part of that game.

Little early to revise your opinion, isnti it?
There IS a scheme...there was NO game plan.

Maybe you missed this, so I'll repeat...

"For those freaking out about our D in preseason game 1 :rolleyes:....

Jones did not play
Wake did not play
Hayes did not play
Quinn played 6 snaps
Alonso played 6 snaps
McCain played 6 snaps
Howard played 14 snaps
McDonald played 14 snaps

...meanwhile the Bucs kept their 1st team in much longer, hell Winston played all the way till halftime!

Calm down. o_O"

Maybe you missed this, so I'll repeat...

"For those freaking out about our D in preseason game 1 :rolleyes:....

Jones did not play
Wake did not play
Hayes did not play
Quinn played 6 snaps
Alonso played 6 snaps
McCain played 6 snaps
Howard played 14 snaps
McDonald played 14 snaps

...meanwhile the Bucs kept their 1st team in much longer, hell Winston played all the way till halftime!

Calm down. o_O"
Oh...well that explains why they gave up the last FG to lose the game against Tampa Bay's 3rd and 4th stringers. Definitely not the scheme then.

There IS a scheme...there was NO game plan.
IMO your distinction is technically correct but meaningless in the sense that using personnel without regards to match ups and with no game plan is not a proper evaluation of the scheme's effectiveness. I will concede that you are correct if they did use "the scheme" (i didn't see the game yet) but I stand with my opinion that you can't judge the "scheme" in these conditions.

Back
Top Bottom