Training Camp Day 6 | Page 17 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Training Camp Day 6

"The absolute best Grier will ever achieve in a given draft is average."

But yet, somehow we walked away with Tunsil, X, Drake, and Jakeem with middle of the pack draft position, whatever.

That is correct. Overall he's achieved about a C level in terms of his job performance. His best draft was 2016, which was about a B+ overall.

Shut up and bet some money. A lot.

You're the most delusional poster on this entire site. I don't even think you're serious with half your posts.

If Grier was stacking up anything but C level drafts on average, Miami wouldn't suck so bad.

I'll bet you any amount of money you're willing to put up that Miami never wins a playoff game with Grier as the GM. Shut up and bet some money.

Maybe just me but this seems a tad over the top -- especially since you've stated you're really NOT a fan of the Miami Dolphins. But we get it. For whatever reason you have a significant dislike for mister Grier.

But "never" is a long long time -- so as long as Grier is GM -- your bet would be in suspended animation mode -- making it kind of silly -- but I'd be OK with taking the bait and going in on that bet!

Beyond that, in retrospect I am like 99% sure TBum royally screwed the pooch for us in a number of draft moves -- specifically the Carroo swindle as an example. That's NOT the kind of move Grier is all about.

In your opinion, do you think Grier deserves some significant credit for Flores? I mean Brain is definitely impressing folks -- tho of course he hasn't won a game yet as HC. I think Chris has the background and pedigree to be a very good GM. And so far I like what he's done. Quite a lot actually!

So put on a happy face!

:)

That is correct. Overall he's achieved about a C level in terms of his job performance. His best draft was 2016, which was about a B+ overall.

Shut up and bet some money. A lot.

I'm not a gambler, period.

But you're wrong calling 2016 an average class, 2018 was above average as well...

I will say your collegiate football knowledge is BEYOND impressive, but my cousins a Bama so I know fooseball is all u people got lol.

state-summaries-112-675x379.png

I think a draft where you get both Laremy Tunsil and Xavien Howard is pretty much an A+ because those are both NFL100 players (even if the people putting that list together stupidly didn't put Tunsil in there), and then getting Kenyan Drake and Jakeem Grant on top of it just makes it a banner draft altogether. I'm not one to love Chris Grier for a lot of reasons but credit where it's due on that draft.

The question is what happens when you start looking at 2017, 2018, and now 2019. That's where things start falling apart.

Charles Harris isn't working out. Raekwon McMillan is working 2nd string behind Sam Eguavoen. Cordrea Tankersley has one foot in the grave. Isaac Asiata retired. Davon Godchaux and Vincent Taylor are rotation-quality DLs but nothing special (yes, there's time, I get it). Isaiah Ford not even worth mentioning.

Minkah Fitzpatrick is going to be good. But great? Pretty much a prime example of what Slimm was talking about when he said that even when Grier succeeds there will usually have been a guy available at the same position that ends up better. Things aren't looking great for Mike Gesicki, let's be honest. Even if Durham Smythe makes the roster I'm not sure that really matters. He's common. Kalen Ballage has to prove he's more than that 75 yard run against Minnesota. Cornell Armstrong and Quentin Poling have not done anything yet to show their worth. Jason Sanders is a good kicker.

Jerome Baker is about to have the sombrero put on him this year by this coaching staff. Flip a coin to see how that comes out. None of us should pretend to know how it's going to come out, because for as much as you read about how awesome this should be, the simple fact of the matter is they want a 6'1" guy who played the game as light as 217 lbs last year to be a primary run stopper from the box, a 5th rusher from the end of the line, and a tight end handler. And if you're not at least a little bit skeptical about that, then I question how much professional football you've been exposed to.

As for 2019, I've already basically written off everyone except Christian Wilkins, Andrew Van Ginkel, and Michael Deiter. In order for that to even end up an AVERAGE draft, you need two of them to end up being worthwhile starters. That's a narrow path you've got to run. Taking Juan Thornhill or Chase Winovich in the 2nd round would've made the chances a lot better. The savior of this draft could very well be a UDFA Preston Williams and/or Shaq Calhoun.

Maybe just me but this seems a tad over the top -- especially since you've stated you're really NOT a fan of the Miami Dolphins. But we get it. For whatever reason you have a significant dislike for mister Grier.

But "never" is a long long time -- so as long as Grier is GM -- your bet would be in suspended animation mode -- making it kind of silly -- but I'd be OK with taking the bait and going in on that bet!

Beyond that, in retrospect I am like 99% sure TBum royally screwed the pooch for us in a number of draft moves -- specifically the Carroo swindle as an example. That's NOT the kind of move Grier is all about.

In your opinion, do you think Grier deserves some significant credit for Flores? I mean Brain is definitely impressing folks -- tho of course he hasn't won a game yet as HC. I think Chris has the background and pedigree to be a very good GM. And so far I like what he's done. Quite a lot actually!

So put on a happy face!

I'm willing to put money where my mouth is. Call it whatever you want. I don't care if Grier is Miami's GM for the next 30 years. I'm just telling you he's not very good at it. I don't believe they'll win a playoff game with him as the GM.

If you want the bet take it. We'll make it a substantial amount in terms of VIP memberships for other members paid directly to this website. You name the amount.

I don't think he has any guts. I think I've said that before. He's got the ultimate survivor's mentality. Don't stick your neck out. Don't make the risky evaluation. Don't take risks with big assets.

They were fortunate that the most bizarre draft day incident in history took place allowing Tunsil to fall. But give Miami credit for being ready to pull the trigger and seize the opportunity.

Wouldn’t the Tunsil pick be such a risk nobody else was ready to take instead of being lucky/fortunate?

I'm willing to put money where my mouth is. Call it whatever you want. I don't care if Grier is Miami's GM for the next 30 years. I'm just telling you he's not very good at it. I don't believe they'll win a playoff game with him as the GM.

If you want the bet take it. We'll make it a substantial amount in terms of VIP memberships for other members paid directly to this website. You name the amount.

If I'm going to wager I want the $$$ LOL.

No prob with a handshake bet for a hundred -- based on the Dolphins winning a playoff game
while Chris Grier is GM. If he gets axed before we win = you win.

I like crisp clean bills BTW!

And you didn't answer my question...

In your opinion, do you think Grier deserves some significant credit for Flores?

He has been around in different capacities in the Dolphins scouting department for quite some time, we had more than our share of misses.

If I'm going to wager I want the $$$ LOL.

No prob with a handshake bet for a hundred -- based on the Dolphins winning a playoff game
while Chris Grier is GM. If he gets axed before we win = you win.

I like crisp clean bills BTW!

You got it. Don't run off and disappear then come back with another handle like all the rest of these clowns do. Stick around and you've got an easy $100 bill.

Wouldn’t the Tunsil pick be such a risk nobody else was ready to take instead of being lucky/fortunate?

I absolutely do not see the Laremy Tunsil pick as being one where they needed to show guts in order to take him. It was widely and immediately hailed as being incredible value, by everyone. Everyone. This is the sort of move that folks like Chris Grier will point to and so, see I'm willing to take risks. But it wasn't. At all.

I don't see what Miami had to risk by taking Tunsil at #13. Nothing. It was an obvious pick by the time it was known what the time frame of the video was. They needed a LT and had nothing. The best player in the draft fell right to 'em.

The risk was for teams like Baltimore sitting there at #6-7 overall having to make the decision between Tunsil and other premier OT's like Ronnie Stanley. By the time it got to Miami's pick, there was no risk. All the other elite players and quarterbacks were long gone.

I absolutely do not see the Laremy Tunsil pick as being one where they needed to show guts in order to take him. It was widely and immediately hailed as being incredible value, by everyone. Everyone. This is the sort of move that folks like Chris Grier will point to and so, see I'm willing to take risks. But it wasn't. At all.

Irrelevant, Tunsil would have been a great value picks 6 - 12 (top 5 were great), but he wasn't selected.

All that matters is Miami made the pick, they deserve all the credit for taking him, everyone else f****** up is irrelevant because we made the pick in a fantastic draft class.

Last edited:
Irrelevant, Tunsil would have been a great value picks 6 - 12, but he wasn't selected.

All that matters is Miami made the pick, they deserve all the credit for taking him, everyone else f****** up is irrelevant because we made the pick in a fantastic draft class.

Irrelevant my ass.

I didn't say Chris Grier shouldn't be given credit for making the correct pick. He should. He took a good player when it was his time to pick.

But it was specifically suggested that the Laremy Tunsil pick is evidence that challenges my assertion that Chris Grier is an idiopathically risk-averse general manager. And that is patently false. The Tunsil pick functions as the direct opposite of that. It is corroborating evidence of what I talked about.

Irrelevant my ***.

I didn't say Chris Grier shouldn't be given credit for making the correct pick. He should. He took a good player when it was his time to pick.

But it was specifically suggested that the Laremy Tunsil pick is evidence that challenges my assertion that Chris Grier is an idiopathically risk-averse general manager. And that is patently false.

Oh I agree he's risk adverse, but your notion that is was obvious is faulty, otherwise he would have been selected picks 6-12 (since his value was so obvious).

What happened is we did our HW, had a little bit of desperation and luck which all added up to an A+ pick.

There's risk with ANY pick, especially one with Tunsil's rare situation.

Grier deserves full credit.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom