Training Camp Day Two Updates | Page 15 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Training Camp Day Two Updates

I agree with some of what you are saying, some not so much.

The basic flaws in RTs game would not hav disappeared by having him sit, although if you recall, that was the original plan, before injury forced him into the starter role.

Your statement about TB "earning" the job is a bit of revisionist history as well. He also got his shot due to injury of Bledsoe.
You can work out a lot of flaws while riding the bench. The best example will always be Aaron Rodgers. He had severe mechanical flaws. For two years they were trying to get the kinks out.

I am not a Brady fan but he worked to be in that backup position. In year one he was listed as #3 and #4 behind Bledsoe and Bishop (forgot who that other dude was) and in year 2 he was listed as #3 behind Bledsoe and Huard (yep, same Huard who backed up Marino for a couple years) lkike your typical 6th round draft pick. If they would have thought that Brady would be worth a dime they would not have signed Huard. That year he supplanted Huard as the backup.

There is no QB battle. In the NFL the guy making the most money starts - and that's Ryan Fitzpatrick. What the Dolphins have in 2019 is a cheap backup in Rosen.
You could give that argument if you have a QB on the roster who gets paid starter salary like 10-12Mill. But both are working off backup numbers: Fitz at 5Mill and Rosen at 1.5Mill - and these numbers include signing bonuses/roster bonuses. Based on pure salary numbers Fitz gets paid $1.5 Mill and Rosen gets paid $600k.
These are the highest paid (salaries with no bonuses) backups this year:
1. Nick Foles (Eagles) – $9.0 million
2. Teddy Bridgewater (Saints) – $6.0 million
3. Mike Glennon (Cardinals) – $5.0 million
4. Chad Henne (Chiefs) – $4.15 million
5. Chase Daniel (Bears) – $4.0 million

The Tua comment is surprising. If your disagreement is with the city then I can understand certainly that. However, if it's with the organization and this coaching staff then that's surprising. Certainly with previous regimes like Gase and co it would have been a disaster for the kid. But this Flores group seems like they're stand up and truly believe in maximizing on player fundamental, teaching the intricacies of the game and lastly helping these young players to become leaders for their organization and community.

There aren't too many "somewhere else" that are structure to emphasize those things.
@TedSlimmJr is a diehard Bama fan and Tua fan. His comment simply reflects that he feels that the Dolphins are the graveyard of QBs. It is more a statement of what he feels incompetence on the Dolphins side rather than lack of talent on Tua's side.

Preston Williams 6'4, Reece Horn 6'3, Devante Parker 6'3, Brice Butler 6'3, Saeed Blacknell 6'2, Trenton Irwin 6'2, Isaiah Ford 6'2 /6'1, Allen Hurns 6'2/6'1 and Stills playing the slot at 6'1. I think it's clear this coaching staff likes tall receivers. Remember last year when there were times that Stills was the tallest receiver on the field with Amendola, Wilson and Grant.

They could also just be looking for that one guy to compliment the short speedsters.

I could agree with the first but the second to me is bass ackward, putting the cart before the horse.

Ryan Fitzpatrick being good doesn't make Josh Rosen any worse. The situation you don't want is an undeserving Josh Rosen getting a commitment and taking up your opportunity costs.

And there are benefits to Fitzpatrick showing out. You get a more valid look at your receiving talent. The entire offense blooms and you get a chance to see who is doing it right AND able to be productive.

That was my argument for signing cutler. Even if he isn’t going to take you far he will at least allow you to make progress with the rest of the team. If you always go three and out you get no showings from anyone or offense and put your D in a position to lose so they can’t even show out either. It’s a tough line to walk. Trying to be good enough to remain moving forward without being so good you stay in purgatory. That’s also my argument for getting your QB first because it’s a lot easier to get your QB and then fill out the roster with mediocre mid first round picks then it is to find your QB with the #15 pick every year.

You could give that argument if you have a QB on the roster who gets paid starter salary like 10-12Mill. But both are working off backup numbers: Fitz at 5Mill and Rosen at 1.5Mill - and these numbers include signing bonuses/roster bonuses. Based on pure salary numbers Fitz gets paid $1.5 Mill and Rosen gets paid $600k.
These are the highest paid (salaries with no bonuses) backups this year:
1. Nick Foles (Eagles) – $9.0 million
2. Teddy Bridgewater (Saints) – $6.0 million
3. Mike Glennon (Cardinals) – $5.0 million
4. Chad Henne (Chiefs) – $4.15 million
5. Chase Daniel (Bears) – $4.0 million
I thought Fitz was making more money. Only 5m, really?

About your data, I think you meant last year, not this year.

I thought Fitz was making more money. Only 5m, really?

About your data, I think you meant last year, not this year.
You are correct should have put "last" year not this year. We don't really know who is or will be backups this year. But my point still stands....

This year (so far) it is
1) Bridgewater at $7.25 Mill
2) Taylor at $6 Mill
2) Daniels at $6 Mill
4) Keenum at $3.5 Mill
5) McCoy at $3.4 Mill
Heck, the Eagles pay a guy like Sudfield $3 Mill.

Actually the exact number for Fitz is $5.5 Mill which is for an experienced quality back up a good number. He signed a 2 year/11 Mill deal of which 7 Mill are guaranteed (4 Mill signing bonus and 3Mill salary).

That Fitz number has several escalators and from what I have gathered that deal is basically 2 years/$17 million if he starts and 2 years/$20 million if he starts and has success.

Still nothing crazy financially.

If he doesn't start a game and gets released after the season, the deal would be 1 year/$7 million.

Fitz should be a one and done. Regardless of what miamis plan is at qb in 2020.

Be it top pick draft or rosen

Love it! Dude plays with aggression + speed.

I know it's CFL -- but seeing him make a LOT of plays Raequon could only dream of...

Any particular plays you'd like to point out? To me he looks slow, a little dirty (lowers his head almost every tackle) and has some technique issues.

I'm guessing you barely watched/didn't watch the actual video and this is just a nice little underhanded shot at McMillan. Well played

to expand on the technique issues, just watch the video... there are several "highlights" where he actually completely misses the tackle because he was lowering his head and launching himself at the player in an attempt to knock them out, rather than wrapping up with his arms..... I highly doubt he even makes the team unless they can seriously coach him up

Last edited:
Any particular plays you'd like to point out? To me he looks slow, a little dirty (lowers his head almost every tackle) and has some technique issues.

I'm guessing you barely watched/didn't watch the actual video and this is just a nice little underhanded shot at McMillan. Well played

to expand on the technique issues, just watch the video... there are several "highlights" where he actually completely misses the tackle because he was lowering his head and launching himself at the player in an attempt to knock them out, rather than wrapping up with his arms..... I highly doubt he even makes the team unless they can seriously coach him up

Excellent points! But I somehow get

the impression you're some kind of

"promoter" for #52? That's OK...

A lot of folks have agendas.

...to answer your questions:

I thought Sam looked good

coming out of the tunnel.

I really loved his "sleepy" pose.

Kinda dig the way he knocks dudes

backwards. Plays with some bad intent.

Seems to make plays. Capable in coverage.

I really like his name! Very articulate. Intelligent.

And to me -- he does NOT look "slow."

Beyond that. I hope he's a massive

upgrade because

we need it.

My opinion. Of course.

>>> Have a nice day!

Excellent points! But I somehow get

the impression you're some kind of

"promoter" for #52? That's OK...

A lot of folks have agendas.

...to answer your questions:

I thought Sam looked good

coming out of the tunnel.

I really loved his "sleepy" pose.

Kinda dig the way he knocks dudes

backwards. Plays with some bad intent.

Seems to make plays. Capable in coverage.

I really like his name! Very articulate. Intelligent.

And to me -- he does NOT look "slow."

Beyond that. I hope he's a massive

upgrade because

we need it.

My opinion. Of course.

>>> Have a nice day!

Haven't had a chance to watch an interview of him yet but if he is indeed articulate and bright I may be wrong about him...either way we can definitely both agree that an upgrade at LB from an "unknown" player would be awesome for our Fins

Back
Top Bottom