Training camp updates - 2nd August | Page 14 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Training camp updates - 2nd August

He had surgery to try to correct the injury to the hip he had last season. If every thing goes well that's not just hoping he magicly get better. It's like saying if a player has a knee injury early one season and only plays 6 games that you should hope he can play 6 games the following season after having surgery and rehab. At this point I don't know what we'll get from Pouncey... it could be 6 games, could be 10 games, could be 12 or 16. I'm just hoping for the best.

Thanks for typing what I was thinking. I get tired of the "It'll immediately be worst case scenario no matter what" posts.

He had surgery to try to correct the injury to the hip he had last season. If every thing goes well that's not just hoping he magicly get better. It's like saying if a player has a knee injury early one season and only plays 6 games that you should hope he can play 6 games the following season after having surgery and rehab. At this point I don't know what we'll get from Pouncey... it could be 6 games, could be 10 games, could be 12 or 16. I'm just hoping for the best.

Here's why I have little hope for Pouncey, even if he returns and even for a significant amount of time: tells.

Offensive lineman must have a perfectly consistent stance, otherwise they tip off the defense. DL's and LB's can spot the most minuscule adjustments in a lineman's stance and get a jump on the play. It's why they do so much tape study.

They can tell if an offensive lineman is favoring a certain leg to get an idea on the direction of a play; they can tell if they are leaning forward to clue a run or on their heels for a pass set; they can also get a tip off on run or pass depending on their hand in the grass by if they're are on their palms or finger tips; they can even get a tell from a flexed wrist or if their veins are popping in their forearm by the amount of weight they are distributing.

These are the type of tells that Pouncey would give away even before this past season. People assumed it had to do with a simple head bob to alert the snap, but it was much more than that. He had a tendency to tip off the type of play (run or pass) and direction in which he was going.

These problems will only be amplified upon his return due to the fact that he'll never be 100% healthy no matter how much recovery time he has due to issues with instability and balance issues that stem from his hip complications.

Last edited:
Here's why I have little hope for Pouncey, even if he returns and even for a significant amount of time: tells.

Offensive lineman must have a perfectly consistent stance, otherwise they tip off the defense. DL's and LB's can spot the most minuscule adjustments in a lineman's stance and get a jump on the play. It's why they do so much tape study.

They can tell if an offensive lineman is favoring a certain leg to get an idea on the direction of a play; they can tell if they are leaning forward to clue a run or on their heels for a pass set; they can also get a tip off on run or pass depending on their hand in the grass by if they're are on their palms or finger tips; they can even get a tell from a flexed wrist or if their veins are popping in their forearm by the amount of weight they are distributing.

These are the type of tells that Pouncey would give away even before this past season. People assumed it had to do with a simple head bob to alert the snap, but it was much more than that. He had a tendency to tip off the type of play (run or pass) and direction in which he was going.

These problems will only be amplified upon his return due to the fact that he'll never be 100% healthy no matter how much recovery time he has due to issues with instability and balance issues that stem from his hip complications.

Scratching my head, Sons.

How can you note the systemic problems of Pouncey and still be positive on the OL this year?

I mean, it's kinda proving my point about the OL gonna be a major comedown this year. Writing on the wall kinda stuff -- putting together who they added (or not), and preview hints to date. Yes, I get it's early, but is it too early to say that unless Miami picks up real help in the middle OL that the team is gonna suffer, time of possession and pass protection? Eventually, 2 + 2 always = 4.

LD

LD7, I feel your pain. But think of it like this. Gase comes in and both the D and the O are sub 500. As the year goes by, the O seems to be a little better, yet the D just sucks! We get into the playoffs, all be it, not a really good game for us, but we made progress. Now Gase has to draft/sign FA to bring the team up as a whole team. The O played okay, D didn't, so let invest heavy on D this year. This will keep us in close games, that the O could win, if the D can get off the field. Now that being said, we may end up having a great D, and a sub par O. Then next year we draft/sign FA heavy on O (OL) and all of a sudden we now will have a great O & D. With only so many picks in the draft and not over paying for players, you can only build a team so fast. I'm cool with building on a 3 year plan, we are in year two, so lets see what happens.

I see where you're coming from, JBG, but this issue has been there for the last six years, unresolved. And Gase did a poor job of evaluating Dallas Thomas in the off-season, and projecting an OL based on pure wishes. Thomas had enough game tape that anyone could see what he was. Coming in off-season and waving a wand and saying, "Everyone starts from zero," and then throwing out crap as starters is just wishful thinking. I see the same wishful thinking being applied to this year, somewhat. Saying, "We'll keep Pouncey on ice during off-season and in-season practices, and roll him out for the game," and then signing less-than-average players to fill roles... seriously?

Mark me down as VERY surprised if Miami's OL is even middle of the road by year's end. It's looking like another year of one good/great player and four decent/poor players adding up to an OL that once again ranks in bottowm third of the league -- and once again putting Ryan Tannehill's head on a platter. RT17 is gonna take some huge shots at the beginning of the year, because the interior OL isn't fixed and the tackles are either not that great (James) or not-yet-setted-in (Tunsil).

I know the D was bad last year. Painfully bad at times. I mean, pain. It hurt me to watch, sometimes. But watching the OL made my eyes bleed. I literally got indigestion trying to eat and watch the Phins. Had to stop eating during games. Sad!

LD

You obviously haven't seen these new stem cell shamans at work...

upload_2017-8-2_22-52-36.png

Bonus points if you know what cartoon this is from...

Screens are constraint plays and are only effective when the situation presents itself by the defense. We need to stop using them as a part of the gameplan and only call for them when the defense cheats in other areas that open up the screen game.

His comment was about execution. Game planning is only important after a team has learned to execute. To get execution we need practice, so we do need to practice screens in training camp.

Back
Top Bottom