Training camp updates - 2nd August | Page 12 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Training camp updates - 2nd August

That's too broad to make any conclusions. How's the data stack up to where he was at in his career? Miami, NE, Denver, St Louis?

It also needs to be relative to his targets. For his 6 years in NE, Welker averaged 154 targets per season.

Belichick also cut him after he had a crucial drop in the SB.

Closest comparison I can find is Derick Mason and Wes Welker. Both started their careers with all purpose touches and turned into excellent receivers.
Both are in the top 20 of all purpose yards and both have decade plus careers.

Mason had around 1280 touches but only 18 fumbles (1 every 71 touches)
Welker had around 1370 touches but had 42 fumbles (1 every 32 touches)

It's just one comparison, but Welker looses this one badly....

The depth of the OL will probably be what Miami will be depending on to carry the load, once again.

I get that extrapolating from this far is jumping the gun, but I'm also going with the principle that unless you prove different, you are what you are.

Miami hasn't proved anything different in 6 plus years. Assuming they'll be better than bottom third of the league AGAIN is just wishful thinking at this point. No credence for that wish on paper or on the field yet.

LD

Closest comparison I can find is Derick Mason and Wes Welker. Both started their careers with all purpose touches and turned into excellent receivers.
Both are in the top 20 of all purpose yards and both have decade plus careers.

Mason had around 1280 touches but only 18 fumbles (1 every 71 touches)
Welker had around 1370 touches but had 42 fumbles (1 every 32 touches)

It's just one comparison, but Welker looses this one badly....

It's OK. lets stay on topic here.

I was looking for specifics as to when the majority of those (drops and fumbles) occurred. Did they happen when he was NE when he averaged 150+ targets a season or was it more or less in Denver & STL after his upstairs was scrambled eggs.

His catch rate in NE was phenomenal, above 70%, leading the league in receptions in '07, '09, & '11 and the majority of his fumbles were in Miami. His worst season for drops (10) was '10 due to injury.

Last edited:
i just want to find a 4th wr capable if pressed into action. Anything other than that is gravy

Barring injury, he would have seen very limited reps, but this definitely hurts depth at the position. Too bad, but he should be ready to go in 2018.

Agree and would like to see him back. Seeing so many players drop around the league just proves the importance of depth and Ford would have been an intriguing option.

Yeah everyone past the 4th guy is just about meaningless. Caroo was the only one to register a catch last season.

Yeah they are getting no run and really as long as we have top 3 plus 3 tight ends and 3 backs we have everything we need to run our o. If they run tempo they are gonna run it out of 11 and 12 anyways.

Ford would have had to beat the odds although the 4th wr gig probably was up for grabs. Va tech does nothing to get guys ready for the pros skill players wise.

Although it would have been nice to see him in the preseason. God knows Scott is marginal.

Too bad if that is true. I would assume Scott will make it then if he returns anytime soon. Gase and the coaching staff liked him enough to promote him to active roster last year. You would have to think barring any suprises that Lewis and Morgan are going to gain ground on the 6th receiver spot. One likely ends up on the practice squad. Grant just can't catch the ******* ball.

I feel good about Caroo he lost weight. He's back to his normal playing weight

I know he mentioned his weight but the major reason for his lack of playing time, and even a roster spot for that matter, stemmed from his inability to grasp the playbook and concepts.

Back
Top Bottom