Training camp updates - 2nd August | Page 13 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Training camp updates - 2nd August

Caroo needs to check the burst off the ball box. Cause he's not gonna separate much which means his drive in his stem is gonna have to open hips.

He has the physical side and very strong hands at the catch point.

I'd like to see him win some package run and not that gimmick type crap we ran with jakeem grant either

The OL is gonna destroy this team's hopes yet once again.

Amazing that this can be a devastating problem for the entire run of RT17's career and no coaches and GMs can fix it.

Give Miami an OL that is within 10 spots of the Dallas OL and Miami will be a perennial playoff contender.

Without it -- trashed running game, poor pass protection, Miami always underperforming, and RT out of the league earlier than he should be.

So sad that the warning signs are there -- yet again. Amazing the jump that Dallas took in team performance when they totally solidified the interior of the OL and OL across the board.

And amazing that Miami can't see the increased need of interior OL play, and how this affects team performance -- not just the offense, but also the defense.

Sad.

LD

LD7, I feel your pain. But think of it like this. Gase comes in and both the D and the O are sub 500. As the year goes by, the O seems to be a little better, yet the D just sucks! We get into the playoffs, all be it, not a really good game for us, but we made progress. Now Gase has to draft/sign FA to bring the team up as a whole team. The O played okay, D didn't, so let invest heavy on D this year. This will keep us in close games, that the O could win, if the D can get off the field. Now that being said, we may end up having a great D, and a sub par O. Then next year we draft/sign FA heavy on O (OL) and all of a sudden we now will have a great O & D. With only so many picks in the draft and not over paying for players, you can only build a team so fast. I'm cool with building on a 3 year plan, we are in year two, so lets see what happens.

They had to address D in the off-season. I do think that they should have been willing to bite the bullet and spend on ONE quality guard, but we'll see what happens.

Maybe Larsen works out. Maybe Asiata works out. Maybe.

Actually, yeah, I'm gonna have to agree with LD on this one. We should have signed a quality guard.

Caroo needs to check the burst off the ball box. Cause he's not gonna separate much which means his drive in his stem is gonna have to open hips.

He has the physical side and very strong hands at the catch point.

I'd like to see him win some package run and not that gimmick type crap we ran with jakeem grant either

Best case scenario for Caroo would be an Anquan Boldin (who I REALLY liked) type, but to get there he needs to have a better grasp of the playbook concepts, which many have said is his biggest problem..

Well if they play that tempo you guys are gonna see the difference it makes provided we aren't lining up turnstyles.

Miamis gonna have a general idea or gase for that matter how the opposition will play it based on his alignment formation wise pre snap and he's gonna dial up ways to exploit it.

There's no reason not to play it especially to hide the oline and play to what you say you want to on d which is leads. Although we play some high level offenses this year that's for sure.

Best case scenario for Caroo would be an Anquan Boldin (who I REALLY liked) type, but to get there he needs to have a better grasp of the playbook concepts, which many have said is his biggest problem..

Has to in an option route system id coverage and leverage played better no doubt.

I see more the former Rutgers and cinci wr now in Atlanta skill set wise. Does the physical dirty work many aren't willing to. Quick slant game runs routes into contact that kinda type not afraid to be hit. Vice grip hands at the catch point.

The OL is gonna destroy this team's hopes yet once again.

Amazing that this can be a devastating problem for the entire run of RT17's career and no coaches and GMs can fix it.

Give Miami an OL that is within 10 spots of the Dallas OL and Miami will be a perennial playoff contender.

Without it -- trashed running game, poor pass protection, Miami always underperforming, and RT out of the league earlier than he should be.

So sad that the warning signs are there -- yet again. Amazing the jump that Dallas took in team performance when they totally solidified the interior of the OL and OL across the board.

And amazing that Miami can't see the increased need of interior OL play, and how this affects team performance -- not just the offense, but also the defense.

Sad.

LD

Tannenbaum would rather pay Kiko over 8 million a year than a real guard like Leary or Warford.

Last year he played in 5 games. I simply went 1 higher. His hips aren't gonna magically get better

He had surgery to try to correct the injury to the hip he had last season. If every thing goes well that's not just hoping he magicly get better. It's like saying if a player has a knee injury early one season and only plays 6 games that you should hope he can play 6 games the following season after having surgery and rehab. At this point I don't know what we'll get from Pouncey... it could be 6 games, could be 10 games, could be 12 or 16. I'm just hoping for the best.

Last edited:
Well if they play that tempo you guys are gonna see the difference it makes provided we aren't lining up turnstyles.

Miamis gonna have a general idea or gase for that matter how the opposition will play it based on his alignment formation wise pre snap and he's gonna dial up ways to exploit it.

There's no reason not to play it especially to hide the oline and play to what you say you want to on d which is leads. Although we play some high level offenses this year that's for sure.

We have heard the the talk like I said previously Hoops but we really don't see it very much if at all. I'm not sure why Gase doesn't go to it more- Ryan seems to mostly excel the few times we have.

I don't agree with Luis Sung's response either - that's is all overrated. You can create mismatches and wear a defense especially in the heat- of course the down side is you don't pick up first downs and kill your own defense.

Some brutal injuries the last few days around the league... Lamp (who was a possible target) out for the year and the Ravens have already had several.. hopefully we can stay relatively healthy- definitely contributed to the defense decline last year..

Last edited:
We have heard the the talk like I said previously Hoops but we really don't see it very much if at all. I'm not sure why Gase doesn't go to it more- Ryan seems to mostly excel the few times we have.

I don't agree with Luis Sung's response either - that's is all overrated. You can create mismatches and wear a defense especially in the heat- of course the down side is you don't pick up first downs and kill your own defense.

Last year the qb spent half his time at the los making sure everyone was lined up properly those first 5 weeks in it and not what he could have been doing identifying the coverage and verifying protections etc. they didn't know the offense well enough to execute. This year all the skill talent returned as did the oline minus the tight end Julius Thomas who has played in gases o before by year two they should be more ready to run it and the qb should be able to focus more on his pre snap responsibilities and reads and due to tempo have time to check out at the los. More pre set no motion and dummy snap counts to id coverage.

And frankly I want this defense to be able to avoid nickel running games as much as possible and the best way to do that is to make them one dimensional chasing the scoreboard where we can let our edges pin their ears and attack the qb. If I'm playing Miami assuming Raekwon provides that tackle to tackle solid mike base play between the tackles in the run game which should be the case looking at his tape I'm going after Miami in the nickel in the run game. That's where I think I can have more success and exploit things inside and Miami looks more suspect personnel wise.

I see tempo a lot like I see the head coach which is as a 2 game swing. I'm not as worried about the guard play in a tempo setting cause serviceable and not be knocked on your ass off the snap is good enough. Right now I'd be more worried about a tackle injury than a guard one.

to sum it up I will be disappointed if we don't show the tempo gase promised at the pre draft combine press conference

Last edited:
Not that it has anything to do with our OL but Forrest Lamp tore his ACL. I wanted to draft him pretty badly. I'd be puking if that happened to us. Chargers are cursed.

Still hoping the light just goes on for Asiata at some point in the preseason. Still a lot of time for him to better himself. He's got the one thing you can teach, brute strength.

Chargers and Ravens especially dealing with injuries.

The run game has to work and so far, I'm hearing a lot of defenders in the backfield and unsuccessful rushing attack. Tempo or no tempo, the run game needs to work better than what I'm hearing.

Back
Top Bottom