Trey Smith decides to return to Vols, not declare for NFL draft | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Trey Smith decides to return to Vols, not declare for NFL draft

jim1

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
KNOXVILLE — Tennessee offensive lineman Trey Smith announced his intentions to come back for his final year of eligibility and not declare for the 2020 NFL Draft Thursday afternoon.

Smith was also a freshman All-American in 2017, but missed part of the 2018 spring and half of the 2018 season due to the recurrence of blood clots in his lungs. He was able to work with doctors, both at Tennessee and nationally, to formulate a plan that allowed him to play. That plan included limited contact during the week — he only had one full-contact practice — but he was able to play in every game for the Vols, starting 12 at left guard.

Crap.

I thought when I heard a press confrence had been arranged that he would be declaring, so this is a little surprising to me. From a fins perspective, I'm pretty sure we will still be working on the line come the 21 draft so it's not the end of the world, hopefully he proves he is healthy because from what I've heard he's a stud.

Smart move for him. If he plays a full year without blood clot issues he can easily vault himself into a top 15 pick.

The article said they worked to limit his contact during the week as part of his health program.

That might not fly in the NFL for a rook.

The article said they worked to limit his contact during the week as part of his health program.

That might not fly in the NFL for a rook.
Didn't we do that with Pouncey...Pretty much the entire time he was in Miami?
I know for sure the last 2 years.

Yeah... I think it is part of the reason we weren't crazy about keeping him.

It's hard to build unit cohesion this way.

Back
Top Bottom